So has construction started yet?
(yes, I'm joking) :D
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: New Stadium

Post by Irse »

bigislandkurt wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:36 pm So has construction started yet?
Might start when the rail finishes.
ImageImage

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Irse wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:59 pm
:lol:

I laugh. But the stadium issue is deeply troubling for UH football.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

bigislandkurt wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:01 pm
Irse wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:59 pm
:lol:

I laugh. But the stadium issue is deeply troubling for UH football.
Wish they ould upgrade TC Ching field more so they can just play there
ImageImage

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

at this point i'd be happy with a 25K stadium at the old honolulu stadium site.

i am long retired and don't think i will see a new halawa stadium in my lifetime. and i am hoping to live for another 20+ years.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

original date was 2023 season opener. now wakai said it will open in 2025.if anybody believes that,you are a complete idiot.the people of hawai’i deserve better than this.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

anykine wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:45 pm original date was 2023 season opener. now wakai said it will open in 2025.if anybody believes that,you are a complete idiot.the people of hawai’i deserve better than this.
I'm hoping it'll open in 2029--seven years away. And even THAT is wishful thinking.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:09 pm
anykine wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:45 pm original date was 2023 season opener. now wakai said it will open in 2025.if anybody believes that,you are a complete idiot.the people of hawai’i deserve better than this.
I'm hoping it'll open in 2029--seven years away. And even THAT is wishful thinking.
i am embarrassed that the people of hawai’i have to live like this.complete incompetence at the highest level.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's

Post by Palolo_2LA »

anykine wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:45 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:09 pm
i am embarrassed that the people of hawai’i have to live like this.complete incompetence at the highest level.
This is true in most aspects of life in Hawai'i. Mountains are moved for tourism, building exclusive condos and other projects that are not a priority to locals. Face it, this is Disneyland where you're an employee and not here to enjoy it bc the attraction is not made for your enjoyment.

The stadium land will be made into more condos and a mall minus the stadium. IMO, UH is better off finding a way enhance the Ching stadium.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I really have zero confidence in the State to even get this thing started, and then completed until the next decade (2030's). But the condos and other attractions will be completed, up and running, and making money for the State and their developers well before then. UH needs to find a way to upgrade Ching Complex because that will be their home forever.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's

Post by Palolo_2LA »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:35 am I really have zero confidence in the State to even get this thing started, and then completed until the next decade (2030's). But the condos and other attractions will be completed, up and running, and making money for the State and their developers well before then. UH needs to find a way to upgrade Ching Complex because that will be their home forever.
Totally agree....it's like being kicked out of girlfriends place, she moved the next dude in and you're thinking about moving back with her some day. That day ain't coming. UH needs to protect it's interests & extend Ching. 20k capacity would work.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

350 million to the university could turn ching field into a 30k home field advantage.remove the track and build up to the field.build 1/4 of the stadium yearly in the off season.a parking structure can be added easily with the funds.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

anykine wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:31 pm 350 million to the university could turn ching field into a 30k home field advantage.remove the track and build up to the field.build 1/4 of the stadium yearly in the off season.a parking structure can be added easily with the funds.
Yes, Ching Field, the on-campus stadium for UH football would be awesome. Apparently, there's some challenges to making that happen. I don't think the track can be removed because we have a wahine track team. Plus, we all know that the politic behind a new stadium is absolutely tied in to the development rights around the stadium. Premium Halawa real estate. Sunsets and Pearl Harbor. In the legislature, it's all about the wheeling and dealings. Sadly, much of that wheeling has taken us nowhere quick. When and if they finally do build the new stadium, I can only pray that they build it well. There are so many seemingly new construction projects falling apart already. Let's not even talk about that train track that need special welders. lol.

Maybe a winning team at Ching Field will at least temporarily allow us to forget about our sad stadium situation. All the while, the old lady Aloha Stadium stands tall, mightily in the wind! She does not posses the same glitter as she once did in her mighty heyday, but she stands tall nonetheless. :-({|= Go Bows. :hello1:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

An on-campus stadium would need more than just an expanded erect-a-set Ching Field. It would need a complete tear-down rebuild of almost the entire lower campus. Everything from new athletic offices to a new track located somewhere else. Not to mention surrounding infracstucture that would need to be addressed to move that amount of people in and out of the area. Otherwise just expanding Ching Field will just condemn UH to being just a Group of 5 school if not drop down to an FCS level school with no hope of ever getting a potential PAC-14/16 invite. Snicker at that thought like some might but that should be the goal so we can get some of that TV money.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mountain west is giving us a break for now on minimum stadium capacity,but I doubt that lasts forever. If UH stays at 10,000seats for the next decade I can see us getting kicked out of the MWC in about five years.Might have to move down to FCS. To compete with and maybe get a Pac-12 invite UH would have to start signing around 10-15 four-star players every year. These kids will be visiting campus stadiums with 50K-100K fan capacity to UH’s 10K. These kids ,if you can get them to visit ,are going to notice the difference between UH and every other school on their final list.