New Aloha Stadium & TC Ching Expansion

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Redevelopment of Aloha Stadium to face further delays with Gov. Ige’s new direction, officials say

Post by Irse »

More delays. I guess not unexpected

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/09/ ... cials-say/
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: New Stadium

Post by RedZone »

He just had to. Just go already.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

If only Abercrombie hadn't loss to then Sen. Ige in the 2014 primary and was re-elected Governor, the University of Hawaii wouldn't be without a stadium. I believe Abercrombie would have got his hands on the Aloha Staduim mess. Why I say this is because Abercrombie was a big supporter of UH athletics. I always saw his yellow taxi at Aloha Stadium. Ige? He could care less.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

ige is slow as a slug.

kalii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kalii »

After reading the article linked above and some of the comments, I had the bright idea of building a new stadium with a sports village adjoining it, along with a hotel for visiting team fans and some of us who drink too much at the games, that is me sometimes.

The village could have sports stores that carry a wide variety of team jerseys and sports clothing/gear along with touristy shops. There could be restaurants and play areas for the keikis. Whether the new stadium is build in Kapolei or Halawa, it could work. In town, eh, not enough room I think. Another key element IMO is linking the rail to the facility.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Incompetence? Absolutely. The problem is deeper then incompetence. There is no commitment and never has been. That is the main reason JJ left and he clearly said that when he left. Promises were made and never kept.

New stadium? When? And what do you think a game ticket will cost?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

kalii wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:36 pm After reading the article linked above and some of the comments, I had the bright idea of building a new stadium with a sports village adjoining it, along with a hotel for visiting team fans and some of us who drink too much at the games, that is me sometimes.

The village could have sports stores that carry a wide variety of team jerseys and sports clothing/gear along with touristy shops. There could be restaurants and play areas for the keikis. Whether the new stadium is build in Kapolei or Halawa, it could work. In town, eh, not enough room I think. Another key element IMO is linking the rail to the facility.
Some in the legislature now want to legalize pakalolo. So to save money, we could just leave everything as is and put a giant light bulb monument in the parking lot. People could hang out by the light bulb with their newly legalized herb and imagine a great stadium and sports complex inside the bulb. Cheerleaders, Rainbow Dancers, and mascots from days gone by could be swirling around inside along with little pink pigs covered in lipstick. Governor Ige could come on the stadium stage inside the bulb and reassure us that they are certainly going to look into things. Certainly.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

sarvicdar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 pm If only Abercrombie hadn't loss to then Sen. Ige in the 2014 primary and was re-elected Governor, the University of Hawaii wouldn't be without a stadium. I believe Abercrombie would have got his hands on the Aloha Staduim mess. Why I say this is because Abercrombie was a big supporter of UH athletics. I always saw his yellow taxi at Aloha Stadium. Ige? He could care less.
While I believe Abercrombie would have been more reactive than Ige is to the stadium situation, he sure as hell was not proactive. We have known for almost two decades that Aloha Stadium's days were numbered. It either needed to be replaced or have a very extensive renovation. Repairs they were doing in the meantime could only do so much. I could be not remembering very well but I don't recall Abercrombie initiating any sort of stadium planning. Yeah sure he probably had a lot of other issues to take care of. But he and Cayentano like to criticize NASED yet they did nothing about Aloha Stadium.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Did anyone read today's SA regarding the stadium? On the front page reads Ige going in a different direction, and there should be an answer in 2 weeks. At issue is the price tag of 350 million, which was the price tag in 2017 dollars and doesn't account for inflation and rising cost of materials 5 years later and counting.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

We should know more today. Stadium Authority is supposed to be in a meeting right now

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:29 am We should know more today. Stadium Authority is supposed to be in a meeting right now
Why are they still in existence
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Irse wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:45 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:29 am We should know more today. Stadium Authority is supposed to be in a meeting right now
Why are they still in existence
Might as well. I'd rather have them be there instead of having the stadium be managed by whoever else.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Hearing from reliable State governmental insiders that the previous delay back in December 2021 was also per instructions from the Governor's Office (via Chief of Staff Linda Chu Takayama). Evidently the Governor's Office purposely delayed the RFP process (in addition to delaying the acceptance of the EIS) for over a full calendar year until the last quarter of his administration (when the country now experiences the highest inflation since the 70's) without any explanation.

It's as if Governor Ige is setting up the next administration to fail....so that voters might forget how bad his 2-term administration has been (much in the way that voters have seemingly forgotten about how bad Abercrombie was in his one-term which is why voters elected Ige instead).
kapakahi wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:09 am
“The change until early 2022 was necessary as the administration prepared for the demands of the legislative session that begins next month,” said Chris Kinimaka, public works administrator for the Department of Accounting and General Services.
The legislative session always begins every January so the corresponding annual staff preparation work effort is not unexpected and should have already been accounted for.....so no legitimate reason/explanation being offered by the administration for yet another avoidable self-inflicted delay (following the previous 1-year self-inflicted delay caused by administration staff clerical error with their proposed appropriation language in the 2020 Legislative Session).

Those who fail to plan (thoroughly beforehand) (ultimately inexorably) plan to fail.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/07/0 ... ther-year/
https://nased.hawaii.gov/legislators-ai ... rict-bill/ https://twitter.com/HawaiiNewsNow/status/1281488601470074882
Last edited by kapakahi on Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Or he getting back at everyone for making fun of him for missile-gate

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:56 am
sarvicdar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 pm If only Abercrombie hadn't loss to then Sen. Ige in the 2014 primary and was re-elected Governor, the University of Hawaii wouldn't be without a stadium. I believe Abercrombie would have got his hands on the Aloha Staduim mess. Why I say this is because Abercrombie was a big supporter of UH athletics. I always saw his yellow taxi at Aloha Stadium. Ige? He could care less.
While I believe Abercrombie would have been more reactive than Ige is to the stadium situation, he sure as hell was not proactive. We have known for almost two decades that Aloha Stadium's days were numbered. It either needed to be replaced or have a very extensive renovation. Repairs they were doing in the meantime could only do so much. I could be not remembering very well but I don't recall Abercrombie initiating any sort of stadium planning. Yeah sure he probably had a lot of other issues to take care of. But he and Cayentano like to criticize NASED yet they did nothing about Aloha Stadium.
At least Abercrombie continued to support & include Capital Improvement Project (CIP) design & construction funding for repairs of the Aloha Stadium in his Executive budget throughout his administration to extend the usable life for the existing Aloha Stadium whereas Ige cut-off all CIP design & construction funding for Aloha Stadium in 2015 immediately upon becoming Governor. The last construction repair project at Aloha Stadium was completed in Summer 2018 utilizing Abercrombie-initiated CIP design & construction funding appropriated back in 2014 (the last year of his administration).

Governor Ige plain ignored the cautionary warnings from the State's structural engineering consultant back in January 2019 (at the start of the 2019 Legislative Session) about the impending shut-down of the Aloha Stadium due to its the rapidly deteriorating condition.....probably because he still fancies himself as a "wannabe" engineer.

Link

Site assessment & planning activities for the new Aloha Stadium were initiated during the Lingle administration but got no support from the Democratic Party-led State Legislature, then Abercrombie tabled it when he became Governor in 2011 (at least until a 2nd-term which never came). Instead Abercrombie focused his efforts on lifting the building-height and construction-density restrictions in Kaka'ako through his appointees on the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA) which accelerated the approval of private development/construction projects in an attempt to build his political war-chest with contributions from the various private developers/builders.