*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: New Stadium

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:31 am
My3Cats wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:23 am
They've got to be kidding. :rocket:
I'll quote this too.

Starting QB for the Bows at the new stadium will be Timmy Chang's son. The small one.

:tv:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:36 am
My3Cats wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:23 am
They've got to be kidding. :rocket:
I'll quote this too.

Starting QB for the Bows at the new stadium will be Timmy Chang's son. The small one.

So, the stadium will be built when I marry a hot-looking gal, have kids with her, AND at least one of the kids ends up at the University of Wyoming. Cool 8) :roll:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

wyokie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:02 am

I'll quote this too.

So, the stadium will be built when I marry a hot-looking gal, have kids with her, AND at least one of the kids ends up at the University of Wyoming. Cool 8) :roll:
If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for either scenario. :banana:

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:41 am
wyokie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:02 am

If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for either scenario. :banana:
With my infamous luck, you'll probably be right. :roll:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Timmy Chang will get his high three and then become a referee for high school football in the new stadium.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

2027 is almost here.no can wait.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Are we there yet?
\:D/

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.civilbeat.org/2023/03/new-a ... ment-plan/ https://twitter.com/CivilBeat/status/1631497909542981632
Gov. Josh Green said his administration will not move forward with plans to develop a new Aloha Stadium and surrounding district via a public-private partnership because a cost-analysis indicated that such a model would put a heavy financial burden on the state.

The result could be a smaller stadium than the one with 35,000 seats that’s currently projected. Development of the parking lot surrounding the stadium site also would be pushed out to a much later date.

An analysis by Goldman Sachs, the state’s financial consultant on the stadium, indicated that taxpayers could be on the hook for an additional $400 million if the state pursues the so-called “P3” model. Lawmakers already have set aside $350 million for the stadium project and are reluctant to spend much more than that anytime soon.

“The cost of our money as we contributed to private developers would be too high,” Green said Thursday in an interview with the Civil Beat Editorial Board. “It’s just too large.

Green proposed a construction method by which the state hires a project team to design and build the stadium before operating and managing it. He said he’s cutting out the arrangements to share costs of developing the stadium with a private entity. But the management entity would still keep much of the revenue from the new stadium, Green said.

Green said he and Finance Director Luis Salaveria couldn’t accept the potential for cost overruns.

Sen. Glenn Wakai, who has been a proponent of redeveloping the stadium under a P3 model, said he was disappointed by Green’s decision. He believes the $350 million the state set aside could only buy a stadium with about 20,000 seats. He’s worried that without the private investment, the state would need to appropriate more funds for a bigger stadium.

“I’m not going to go back on my word to my colleagues here to say ‘Oh, I need x-million of dollars more.’ I’m not going to do that,” Wakai said.

Wakai said adopting a new construction model could cost the state an extra six months.

“There’s absolutely nothing advantageous for us to delay, we’ve got to get moving,” Wakai said.

The current plan, which Green is mostly ditching, was for development of the site on two simultaneous tracks — construction of the stadium and development of the surrounding entertainment district, which is now the empty stadium parking lot.

Green wants to conduct development in two phases. In the first phase, the state will spend the $350 million already appropriated to construct the stadium, then pursue development of the entertainment district.

Green said he still wants to see the area used for housing units.

Another request for proposals will go out “in the near future” under the new direction for constructing the stadium, Green said. That will include demolition of the old Aloha Stadium and construction of a new stadium, which Green described as “modest.”

“It will be smaller than some people want but at least it will get built,” he said, adding that the state could add more seats at a later date if it chooses to.
Green’s plan to delay the development of the parking lot surrounding the stadium site to a much later date would need City staff & City Council approval for waiver of City Zoning Ordinances (which IMHO based on own personal experience dealing with City staff & City Council) is highly improbable. As such, the stadium could be even smaller with the concurrent development of both the stadium structure & parking areas.
Last edited by kapakahi on Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

It took the State 30 years to get H3 completed. I don't have faith that this will get done before I make die dead.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:39 am It took the State 30 years to get H3 completed. I don't have faith that this will get done before I make die dead.
Beginning to a bigger mess. I guess they couldn't let the city outdo them in screwing up a project. The stadium may become a bigger mess than the rail. Wonder which one will be in operation first.
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/03/ ... w-stadium/
EDITORIAL | OUR VIEW

Editorial: Fast-tracking new stadium

Barring the unexpected at the eleventh hour — which has happened before — the long-awaited demolition of Aloha Stadium and construction of a modern replacement will be underway soon. That would be a good thing indeed, an optimism fueled this week as three of Hawaii’s top leaders pushed the new stadium with eagerness — but without the convoluted public- private partnership (P3) scheme that included a grandiose entertainment district.

Build the stadium first, then the rest will follow — that’s the new cohesive message.

“Costs will exponentially increase the longer we wait,” House Speaker Scott Saiki said in pressing Gov. Josh Green’s administration to move on a new stadium with $350 million already allocated for the project. “It is important to get going” on the facility, agreed Senate President Ron Kouchi, when the duo appeared Wednesday on the Star-Advertiser “Spotlight Hawaii” webcast.

Just two days earlier, Green himself acknowledged the need to act now, saying that “time, in this case, is definitely money.”

Expect details, then, from the administration in the next month or so on a two-phase Aloha Stadium replacement plan:

>> Phase One, on a request for proposals to tear down the Halawa “Rust Palace” and build a new stadium. Taxpayers will be holding Green to his expectation that this will cost less than $500 million — and he certainly needs to include airtight provisos for operating and managing the stadium. As shown by Aloha Stadium’s chronic deferred-maintenance problems, upkeep of the new facility will be a major consideration once it’s built.

>> Phase Two will follow with housing and an entertainment district — with “entertainment” likely on a less-grand scale than originally pitched by the New Aloha Stadium Entertainment District (NASED).

In its March 1 community newsletter, NASED still calls this “an exciting project” overall, but telegraphed a reprioritized moderation, noting that a phased plan to be released in the coming weeks will cover demolition of the stadium, construction of a new one, and “the creation of housing within the surrounding district.”

For taxpayers, more affordable housing remains an imperative — given the rare opportunity to realize a bevy of much-needed homes on the 98-acre, state-owned Halawa property.

One intriguing aspect that will come increasingly into play as housing and redevelopment plans unfold: the role of the military.

Green is right in stressing the importance of cooperation from, and coordination with, the military for housing and infrastructure due to the nearby Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.

The military needs to be “a much better partner on the infrastructure needs of our state,” the governor said. That’s highly relevant at Halawa, of course, but also in so many other areas that impact Hawaii’s quality of life.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

NASED is beyond ridiculous. The 2023 recruits will all have long exhausted their eligibility by the time that stadium finally opens. Coach Chang's youngest son may have a chance to be one of the first UH footballers to play in that thing when he comes of age.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

let’s go josh green.get this thing rolling.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Let's compare San Jose's new stadium. It was a dream in 2016. Ground breaking was in 2019. Projected completion date Aug 2023. It's not Hawaii, so can't compare. It's not fast-track rush project. It's just one example of a timeline.

Hard to recruit and ask local boys to stay home to play on a high school field (no disrespect to the Ching family as they already provided way too many millions.) There is no start date, no completion date. Construction track record has been a flat F in grade.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Stadium will not be completed in Green's 4 years at Gov and will be punted to the next Gov. By the time it's finished, Hawaii Football may become FCS