New Aloha Stadium & TC Ching Expansion

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: New Stadium

Post by My3Cats »

At least Gov. Green is talking about the new stadium at the beginning of his term. For what little responsibilities he was given as the LG, he made the most of it, and took off running with the COVID issue even though his boss tried to shut him down. With Ige, he mentioned the stadium once in a blue moon, then buried it deep down until someone brought it up again. Happy that Ige is over and done with.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:34 am At least Gov. Green is talking about the new stadium at the beginning of his term. For what little responsibilities he was given as the LG, he made the most of it, and took off running with the COVID issue even though his boss tried to shut him down. With Ige, he mentioned the stadium once in a blue moon, then buried it deep down until someone brought it up again. Happy that Ige is over and done with.
agree.i am anxiously waiting josh green’s secret stadium plan and estimated completion date.you already know cuz.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Sounds like Gov Green going ahead with the P3 plan and dumping Ige's 11th hour change.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:13 pm Sounds like Gov Green going ahead with the P3 plan and dumping Ige's 11th hour change.
What was the P3 plan again? Thanks in advance.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

i got josh green down for a 2027 completion date for the new aloha stadium.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

bigislandkurt wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:05 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:13 pm Sounds like Gov Green going ahead with the P3 plan and dumping Ige's 11th hour change.
What was the P3 plan again? Thanks in advance.
P3 = Public Private Partnership

Supposed to have shared costs, with the private developer paying in for construction now, receiving revenues from all of the operations (stadium, condos, hotels, restaurants, housing, etc) later.

Ige's plan was design/build with the State shelling out all of the money to build the stadium only.

Both plans have pros and cons.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

kapakahi wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:38 pm
Pretty obvious that Ige purposely stalled the project by at least 1 calendar year (to coincide with the last quarter year of his term)…..thereby effectively punting this matter to the next Governor and his newly selected DBEDT Director to figure this out going forward.
kapakahi wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:53 pm
Hearing from reliable State governmental insiders that the previous delay back in December 2021 was also per instructions from the Governor's Office (via Chief of Staff Linda Chu Takayama). Evidently the Governor's Office purposely delayed the RFP process (in addition to delaying the acceptance of the EIS) for over a full calendar year until the last quarter of his administration (when the country now experiences the highest inflation since the 70's) without any explanation.

It's as if Governor Ige is setting up the next administration to fail....so that voters might forget how bad his 2-term administration has been (much in the way that voters have seemingly forgotten about how bad Abercrombie was in his one-term which is why voters elected Ige instead).
kapakahi wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:09 am https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/12/ ... -for-2023/

The legislative session always begins every January so the corresponding annual staff preparation work effort is not unexpected and should have already been accounted for.....so no legitimate reason/explanation being offered by the administration for yet another avoidable self-inflicted delay (following the previous 1-year self-inflicted delay caused by administration staff clerical error with their proposed appropriation language in the 2020 Legislative Session).

Those who fail to plan (thoroughly beforehand) (ultimately inexorably) plan to fail.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/07/0 ... ther-year/
https://nased.hawaii.gov/legislators-ai ... rict-bill/ https://twitter.com/HawaiiNewsNow/status/1281488601470074882
kapakahi wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:47 am
Hearing from reliable State government insiders that outgoing lame-duck Governor Ige has finally approved the EIS (as I previously suspected that he eventually would before his departure after having purposely delayed his approval for about 1 calendar year) for the new stadium development project (based specifically on the conceptual new development siteplan layouts previously presented for the legally-required public review process) which leaves new Governor-elect Josh Green the option of EITHER sticking with this approved EIS and going forward accordingly with project as was previously intended prior to Ige's September 2022 "change in direction" OR start over again with EIS process to revise and re-issue an updated/amended EIS (based on revised/updated conceptual siteplan layouts for the new stadium development project) for another round of legally-required public review process (which would take at least 1 additional calendar year) before approving the updated/amended EIS in order to legally proceed with the updated/revised stadium development project.
Ige's intentional orchestrated delay (of at least 18 months; thereby further escalating construction material & labor costs) is now resulting in a smaller stadium size (from 35K to 30K seating capacity) in addition to the stadium's delayed opening.

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/aloha-s ... tter_KITV4 https://twitter.com/KITV4/status/1603513985877397504 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1603648606736482304

Link

Link

Link

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I would hope that they work on the stadium first and not wait for the commercial side. At least that's what's supposed to happen with two different contracts. But the more complicated the plans, the longer this is going to take. Just being Captain Obvious here.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

You know what some smart guy on the committee is going to say? If we build the commercial side first, the land can be producing income, and that income can be used for....

kalii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kalii »

My logic coupled with limited knowledge of what's going on back there says the stadium should be built first so the team and fans can get back to business there. Also there is the NCAA capacity rule, and so on.

Having just witnessed a World Cup in my back yard and going to several stadiums here in Qatar I feel that the new Hawaii or UH stadium needs to be world class and ultra-modern, this will draw events from around the globe, especially the Pacific region. And I think Hawaii fans deserve the best after No Aloha stadium for years. Medium capacity for bowl games and larger events. Wish it could be closer to east Honolulu but anywhere is fine if the rail can get me there.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

2027 is a long ways away.4 years.we have a D1 program without a stadium.you already know cuz.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

"Developer to be selected by the end of 2023?"

:roll: :- :-({|=
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

:waiting:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

bigislandkurt wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:51 am "Developer to be selected by the end of 2023?"

:roll: :- :-({|=
They've got to be kidding. :rocket:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:23 am
They've got to be kidding. :rocket:
I'll quote this too.

Starting QB for the Bows at the new stadium will be Timmy Chang's son. The small one.