2022 OIA football schedule is out; NO OIA-ILH ALLIANCE

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022 OIA football schedule is out; NO OIA-ILH ALLIANCE

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:31 pm If true, greedy OIA bureaucrats. But what else can you expect in a state dominated and run by Democrats.
@rrforlifebaby:

I would offer that it would be just as bad--if not worse--if Hawaii were run by Republicans. That's because the Republican Party wants to starve public schools. That means the OIA would be even more desperate--or greedy--for money.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:11 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:31 pm If true, greedy OIA bureaucrats. But what else can you expect in a state dominated and run by Democrats.
@rrforlifebaby:

I would offer that it would be just as bad--if not worse--if Hawaii were run by Republicans. That's because the Republican Party wants to starve public schools. That means the OIA would be even more desperate--or greedy--for money.
Funnyman Howard Stern speaks the truth about the GOP: https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-ho ... story.html
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

There isn't enough money to go around in public school sports for anyone to be "greedy". What a ridiculous comment.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

poidog wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:05 pm
There isn't enough money to go around in public school sports for anyone to be "greedy". What a ridiculous comment.
Are you saying "it ain't greed, it's survival"?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:51 pm
Yes, is it survival?
I'm not a private school guy, BUT, if the what was said earlier about the OIA wanting 100% of the gate is true, then how is that not greed?

Alright, lets keep the Democrat/Republican part out for the moment. The fact that the OIA(a state agency) supposedly wants to keep 100% of the gate is shameful. The mantra of the OIA is reflected in how the football tournament is run....the need to have this ratio of representation based on the number of schools per league. WE ALL KNOW that in most years, the 3rd place OIA team has no business being in the state tournament. But the OIA (a state agency) wants to make it all FAIR and EQUAL....sounds alot like Liberal Democratism(I know, this isn't word...lol).

But, I do apologize for bringing politics into this forum. Let's just get back to the point that if true, I believe the OIA to be in the wrong for supposedly wanting 100% of the gate.

I think one solution is if the hosting field is at an OIA site, then the ILH school should be alloted a certain amount of tickets in advance so the funds can go to that school/ILH, and vice versa.
Then, to me, it makes sense for the hosting field/school to keep 100% of the gate to cover costs...imho.
RRFL!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:19 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:11 pm
@rrforlifebaby:

Funnyman Howard Stern speaks the truth about the GOP: https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-ho ... story.html
@gopunahou:

I may not like your alma mater, but I sure like your politics!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:07 am

Yes, is it survival?
I'm not a private school guy, BUT, if the what was said earlier about the OIA wanting 100% of the gate is true, then how is that not greed?

Alright, lets keep the Democrat/Republican part out for the moment. The fact that the OIA(a state agency) supposedly wants to keep 100% of the gate is shameful. The mantra of the OIA is reflected in how the football tournament is run....the need to have this ratio of representation based on the number of schools per league. WE ALL KNOW that in most years, the 3rd place OIA team has no business being in the state tournament. But the OIA (a state agency) wants to make it all FAIR and EQUAL....sounds alot like Liberal Democratism(I know, this isn't word...lol).

But, I do apologize for bringing politics into this forum. Let's just get back to the point that if true, I believe the OIA to be in the wrong for supposedly wanting 100% of the gate.

I think one solution is if the hosting field is at an OIA site, then the ILH school should be alloted a certain amount of tickets in advance so the funds can go to that school/ILH, and vice versa.
Then, to me, it makes sense for the hosting field/school to keep 100% of the gate to cover costs...imho.
RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby:

Well, unless the mods object, I for one don't mind politics on the thread, as long as we're civil, and agree to disagree when necessary. You seem to be reasonable; by your UserName, I'm assuming you're a Kahuku alumnus (public school), yet you agree that the OIA asking 100% of the cashbox is shameful. I still think UH should consider letting the high schools use its stadium, for a small cut (5%? 10%?). I also still think Kamehameha Schools should consider offering the use of its stadium--(it's the only ILH school with a lit stadium for night games)--provided it gets at least 10% of the cashbox. Of course, it also gets to keep all the revenue from the concession stand. I think Kamehameha Schools can make at least some money from such a deal, as it should. No private school should be asked to host games at a loss. (Public schools are tax-funded.)

PS: I think Kahuku alumni will have a lot to cheer about this coming season; I think Kahuku will repeat as State Open champs.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:50 pm
Yes, is it survival?

RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby:

Well, unless the mods object, I for one don't mind politics on the thread, as long as we're civil, and agree to disagree when necessary. You seem to be reasonable; by your UserName, I'm assuming you're a Kahuku alumnus (public school), yet you agree that the OIA asking 100% of the cashbox is shameful. I still think UH should consider letting the high schools use its stadium, for a small cut (5%? 10%?). I also still think Kamehameha Schools should consider offering the use of its stadium--(it's the only ILH school with a lit stadium for night games)--provided it gets at least 10% of the cashbox. Of course, it also gets to keep all the revenue from the concession stand. I think Kamehameha Schools can make at least some money from such a deal, as it should. No private school should be asked to host games at a loss. (Public schools are tax-funded.)

PS: I think Kahuku alumni will have a lot to cheer about this coming season; I think Kahuku will repeat as State Open champs.
Thank you sir! I absolutely agree about using the UH field. I remember Big Red and the Govs playing at Cooke field in the early 90s. UH is a state entity, so it behooves me that the OIA schools would need to pay, but it is what it is.

Kamehameha stadium has a beautiful view, but maybe us OIA fans are too "raw" for them, so it's best not to have the "natives" running around their campus...lol.

I'm not old enough to have ever gone to the old Honolulu stadium, but i think it would be cool if they rebuilt it.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Yes, is it survival?

RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby:

Thank you sir! I absolutely agree about using the UH field. I remember Big Red and the Govs playing at Cooke field in the early 90s. UH is a state entity, so it behooves me that the OIA schools would need to pay, but it is what it is.

Kamehameha stadium has a beautiful view, but maybe us OIA fans are too "raw" for them, so it's best not to have the "natives" running around their campus...lol.

I'm not old enough to have ever gone to the old Honolulu stadium, but i think it would be cool if they rebuilt it.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Also, what about CORP? (Central Oahu Regional Park). I've never been , but can anyone mention if there is room to build a 10,000 seat football stadium there?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:43 pm
Yes, is it survival?

RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby:

@rrforlifebaby:

1. Well, both UH and public schools are state "agencies", but even so, the OIA can't expect UH to let them play there for free. So, some nominal percentage of the cashbox (5%? 10%?) seems appropriate.

2. As long as Kamehameha Schools can make some money hosting games, I don't see why they'd object to OIA fans. After all, money of OIA fans is just as good as money of ILH fans.

3. Unfortunately, I am old enough to remember going to games at Honolulu Stadium. It actually kind of sucked; the walkway ran below the wooden stands, and all kinds of crap (like peanut shells) fell constantly through the slats. (There was a guy who sold peanuts in the shell; I remember he sold them in small paper sacks.) I don't think there's any way that that old stadium would be "rebuilt"; it's gone for good, and there's a park there now. Besides, the site is way too small for a new stadium that can accommodate enough fans and include enough parking for today's crowds.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:48 pm Also, what about CORP? (Central Oahu Regional Park). I've never been , but can anyone mention if there is room to build a 10,000 seat football stadium there?
@rrforlifebaby:

I doubt that that would fly; there's not enough room at CORP for such a stadium. Besides, as we know, CORP has at least two baseball fields there already, and high schools play baseball on them every year. Isn't there a soccer field there, too? Don't they have night games there? If so, they can easily line the field for football games, but I don't think the stands have enough seating for high-draw high school football games. But certainly at least some high school football games can be played there. But like you said, the OIA has to be less greedy; so many OIA schools have stadiums already. As you know, Kahuku High has one. It was being renovated this past season, right? But, it should be ready for the coming season, right? If it is ready, Kahuku High should be allowed to take full advantage of it, and not be hampered or hindered by the OIA playing greedy politics.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I’m guessing the OIA wanted its major Open games—i.e. games like Kahuku-Mililani as well as matchups between the Big Three and Mililani/Kahuku—to take place at either Kahuku or Mililani. I think the ILH was against that because of something that happened the last time St. Louis played at Kahuku’s field—too many people wished to see the game but couldn’t because the stadium was already full. I also think that both the ILH and OIA are anticipating that there won’t need to be a limit on the number of fans who can attend games. That isn’t a guarantee with COVID cases rising here.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:16 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:48 pm Also, what about CORP? (Central Oahu Regional Park). I've never been , but can anyone mention if there is room to build a 10,000 seat football stadium there?
@rrforlifebaby:

I doubt that that would fly; there's not enough room at CORP for such a stadium. Besides, as we know, CORP has at least two baseball fields there already, and high schools play baseball on them every year. Isn't there a soccer field there, too? Don't they have night games there? If so, they can easily line the field for football games, but I don't think the stands have enough seating for high-draw high school football games. But certainly at least some high school football games can be played there. But like you said, the OIA has to be less greedy; so many OIA schools have stadiums already. As you know, Kahuku High has one. It was being renovated this past season, right? But, it should be ready for the coming season, right? If it is ready, Kahuku High should be allowed to take full advantage of it, and not be hampered or hindered by the OIA playing greedy politics.
Yes, the field is ready. Community is excited to have home games again!!!

As far as CORP, they have a soccer field with seats right? Maybe they can expand and renovate that field into a multi-use field? Would be much cheaper to expand/renovate that field and add seats on the opposite side than building a brand new stadium I would figure.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:00 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:16 pm
@rrforlifebaby:

Yes, the field is ready. Community is excited to have home games again!!!

As far as CORP, they have a soccer field with seats right? Maybe they can expand and renovate that field into a multi-use field? Would be much cheaper to expand/renovate that field and add seats on the opposite side than building a brand new stadium I would figure.
I think a football stadium with maybe 25,000 to 30,000 seats would be ideal for UH. Aloha Stadium rarely sold out, except maybe during the Colt Brennan years. Hawaii is a G5 program, not P5, and most G5 programs have stadiums around that size. A stadium with a smaller, more enclosed area would create a better, more personalized atmosphere.