2022 OIA football schedule is out; NO OIA-ILH ALLIANCE

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Nick Abramo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

2022 OIA football schedule is out; NO OIA-ILH ALLIANCE

Post by Nick Abramo »

For anyone who wants to see the 2022 OIA football schedule and get confirmation that there will be no alliance — as suspected in this forum by several people:

https://www.bedrocksportshawaii.com/sep ... week-game/

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022 OIA football schedule is out; NO OIA-ILH ALLIANCE

Post by gopunahou »

I find it surprising that Punahou will field two teams this year. Our numbers have been disappointing since 2017. I also don't like the idea of the Big Three playing each other three times. I would've preferred the league having Iolani do what Damien's baseball team did this past year--play against the big boys in the regular season then participate in the D2 tournament (D1 for Iolani football) come postseason.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:01 pm I find it surprising that Punahou will field two teams this year. Our numbers have been disappointing since 2017. I also don't like the idea of the Big Three playing each other three times. I would've preferred the league having Iolani do what Damien's baseball team did this past year--play against the big boys in the regular season then participate in the D2 tournament (D1 for Iolani football) come postseason.
It seems like the ILH schools were against the alliance, but the OIA was willing to continue it. Do you know how Punahou felt about it?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:08 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:01 pm I find it surprising that Punahou will field two teams this year. Our numbers have been disappointing since 2017. I also don't like the idea of the Big Three playing each other three times. I would've preferred the league having Iolani do what Damien's baseball team did this past year--play against the big boys in the regular season then participate in the D2 tournament (D1 for Iolani football) come postseason.
It seems like the ILH schools were against the alliance, but the OIA was willing to continue it. Do you know how Punahou felt about it?
No, but having heard about the non-conference schedules ILH teams are playing, I’m guessing they thought there wouldn’t be enough room to plan an Alliance schedule. Regardless, this is disappointing, being that watching the same teams play each other every week is as exciting as a narcissistic, inconsiderate, hypocritical internet troll.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think the ILH admins are making a mistake withdrawing from the alliance. Teams playing each other three times a year,then a fourth time in league playoffs was not working out too well or they would never had entered into the ILH-OIA alliance in the first place. Now, the ILH has put themselves back into the situation that they wanted out of.Personally,
I thought ILH football was stagnating in the years before the alliance provided them with a full slate of opponents in the regular season.Football numbers were getting smaller, WOLA and St.Francis closed doors entirely,and St.Louis and Kamehameha were the only schools left with JV programs. And yet the ILH team at league HQ has gone back to the bad old days.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:12 am I think the ILH admins are making a mistake withdrawing from the alliance. Teams playing each other three times a year,then a fourth time in league playoffs was not working out too well or they would never had entered into the ILH-OIA alliance in the first place. Now, the ILH has put themselves back into the situation that they wanted out of.Personally,
I thought ILH football was stagnating in the years before the alliance provided them with a full slate of opponents in the regular season.Football numbers were getting smaller, WOLA and St.Francis closed doors entirely,and St.Louis and Kamehameha were the only schools left with JV programs. And yet the ILH team at league HQ has gone back to the bad old days.
I would love to understand the ILH’s reasoning for this thing and hope that there is an alliance in 2023. Is the ILH trying to appease the OIA for some reason? Or did their teams schedule too many non-conference games? Our schedule says we play a pair of OIA teams (Kahuku and Moanalua) as well as a game in Utah.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou:

1. It's likely that Punahou will win ILH Open this coming season.
2. I think Damien played the big boys in baseball because baseball isn't as physical as football. Notice that Damien didn't play the big boys in football?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:51 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:08 pm
No, but having heard about the non-conference schedules ILH teams are playing, I’m guessing they thought there wouldn’t be enough room to plan an Alliance schedule. Regardless, this is disappointing, being that watching the same teams play each other every week is as exciting as a narcissistic, inconsiderate, hypocritical internet troll.
@gopunahou:

Even if your alma mater wins every game?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:12 am I think the ILH admins are making a mistake withdrawing from the alliance. Teams playing each other three times a year,then a fourth time in league playoffs was not working out too well or they would never had entered into the ILH-OIA alliance in the first place. Now, the ILH has put themselves back into the situation that they wanted out of.Personally,
@unpaid:

I wonder if one reason the ILH opted-out this year is that none of the ILH schools are likely to beat Kahuku.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:30 pm
I would love to understand the ILH’s reasoning for this thing and hope that there is an alliance in 2023. Is the ILH trying to appease the OIA for some reason? Or did their teams schedule too many non-conference games? Our schedule says we play a pair of OIA teams (Kahuku and Moanalua) as well as a game in Utah.
@gopunahou:

As I had replied to unpaid, I wonder if one of the reasons is that none of the ILH schools are likely to beat Kahuku. And, apparently, Punahou's games against Kahuku and Moanalua are now out.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:03 pm
@gopunahou:

As I had replied to unpaid, I wonder if one of the reasons is that none of the ILH schools are likely to beat Kahuku. And, apparently, Punahou's games against Kahuku and Moanalua are now out.
I wouldn't think that's the reason. The ILH champ would still likely face Kahuku in states anyway. Like Ric Flair's catchphrase goes, to be the man, you have to beat the man.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:07 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:03 pm
@gopunahou:

I wouldn't think that's the reason. The ILH champ would still likely face Kahuku in states anyway. Like Ric Flair's catchphrase goes, to be the man, you have to beat the man.
@ChadFukuoka:

But at least the ILH champ would face Kahuku only once: In States. Better to lose to Kahuku only once.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

It’s all about the mighty dollar! No matter what anyone says, it’s definitely NOT about the kids or what’s best for them. So the way it was explained to me by a good friend of mine, who was the hc at kaimuki hs. During the alliance, any game played at an OIA site, the OIA took 100% of any money made(gate, parking, concession, etc.) Games played at an ILH site or Aloha stadium, the profit split was 80/20…with the OIA taking 80% and the ILH taking 20%…Yup, OIA taking 80% at an ILH site. Lol crazy but that’s what was negotiated and agreed upon because the OIA knows that the ILH needs them to make it work or the ILH can go back to playing an all ILH schedule. Greedy but smart, I guess. Now that the Aloha stadium is gone, when they discussed renewing the alliance for this upcoming season the OIA said they want 100% of all profit, no matter where the games are played at. They negotiated to a 90/10 split but in the end the ILH schools couldn’t agree to that. Probably because they would be losing money lol but in the end the only the kids are losing out. I’m pretty sure both OIA and ILH teams want the alliance to happen, it’s better for everyone. But as long as OIA admin keeps being greedy, I don’t think it’ll ever happen again

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

If true, greedy OIA bureaucrats. But what else can you expect in a state dominated and run by Democrats.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:16 pm It’s all about the mighty dollar! No matter what anyone says, it’s definitely NOT about the kids or what’s best for them. So the way it was explained to me by a good friend of mine, who was the hc at kaimuki hs. During the alliance, any game played at an OIA site, the OIA took 100% of any money made(gate, parking, concession, etc.) Games played at an ILH site or Aloha stadium, the profit split was 80/20…with the OIA taking 80% and the ILH taking 20%…Yup, OIA taking 80% at an ILH site. Lol crazy but that’s what was negotiated and agreed upon because the OIA knows that the ILH needs them to make it work or the ILH can go back to playing an all ILH schedule. Greedy but smart, I guess. Now that the Aloha stadium is gone, when they discussed renewing the alliance for this upcoming season the OIA said they want 100% of all profit, no matter where the games are played at. They negotiated to a 90/10 split but in the end the ILH schools couldn’t agree to that. Probably because they would be losing money lol but in the end the only the kids are losing out. I’m pretty sure both OIA and ILH teams want the alliance to happen, it’s better for everyone. But as long as OIA admin keeps being greedy, I don’t think it’ll ever happen again
@Dog 96707:

1. What about UH field? Why couldn't that have been negotiated? UH would be entitled to a small slice, of course, which is perfectly reasonable.
2. Kamehameha Schools should have accepted the 80/20 split. They'd still make some money, right? I don't think they'd lose money. And, they could keep 100% of the concession stand, right?
3. Clearly, the OIA is being shamefully greedy.