*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

No more Divisions starting in 2023

Post by wyokie »

https://themw.com/news/2022/5/20/mounta ... -2023.aspx
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The Mountain West announced Friday that beginning with the 2023 season, the league will eliminate its two-division format. The two teams with the highest Conference winning percentage will compete in the championship game.

The enhanced structure will ensure the top two teams meet in the championship game and put the Mountain West in the best position for a place in the College Football Playoff.

A scheduling model and tiebreaking procedures for future seasons are being finalized and will be announced in the coming weeks.

“Our membership has been working on concepts since last summer, as part of our strategic planning for the future of the Mountain West,” said MW Commissioner Craig Thompson. “A single-division approach provides maximum flexibility to adapt the Conference schedule as the landscape continues to evolve, while also allowing member institutions to play each other more frequently.”

The MW will continue with its existing Mountain and West Divisions in the fall of 2022, with the two divisional champions meeting in the MW Football Championship Game on Saturday, December 3.

On May 18, at the recommendation of its Football Oversight Committee, the NCAA Division I Council adopted legislation to remove the Football Bowl Subdivision requirements that must be met to annually exempt one conference championship contest. This change will provide discretion to each FBS conference to determine the method for identifying the participants in its conference championship game.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: No more Divisions starting in 2023

Post by Irse »

Hope can keep some rivalries on the schedule every year.
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

i don't like it.the tie breaker is going to determine the match up which means somebody will get screwed.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

anykine wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:44 pm i don't like it.the tie breaker is going to determine the match up which means somebody will get screwed.
Even WITH divisions, somebody gets screwed. Just nature of the beast aka tie-breakers.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

anykine wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:44 pm i don't like it.the tie breaker is going to determine the match up which means somebody will get screwed.
Even WITH divisions, somebody always gets screwed. Remember the three-way tie for 1st in the Mountain Division between Boise, UNM, and Wyoming in 2016? Wyo got to go the MWC Title game even though we beat Boise (on a TOTALLY fluke play :roll: ) and lost to pathetic UNM. Just nature of the beast aka tie-breakers.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

wyokie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:56 pm
Even WITH divisions, somebody always gets screwed. Remember the three-way tie for 1st in the Mountain Division between Boise, UNM, and Wyoming in 2016? Wyo got to go the MWC Title game even though we beat Boise (on a TOTALLY fluke play :roll: ) and lost to pathetic UNM. Just nature of the beast aka tie-breakers.
i remember 2018 when utah st.,boise,and fresno was tied at 7-1. i also remember when hawai’i at 5-3 got in over a 7-1 air force in 2019.

roygbivs
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
MLB: Milwaukee, ATL
NBA: Boston [NHL:Vancouver]
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by roygbivs »

I like the fact a 9-game conference model just like the Pac12 does um. Keeps rivalries afloat and it give us a 4-game non-conference slate instead of 5 which is hard to schedule with teams being more unwilling to come here. … and we can maybe get one money game every year going forward.
Watchu thinks?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

roygbivs wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:03 pm I like the fact a 9-game conference model just like the Pac12 does um. Keeps rivalries afloat and it give us a 4-game non-conference slate instead of 5 which is hard to schedule with teams being more unwilling to come here. … and we can maybe get one money game every year going forward.
Watchu thinks?
Totally agree. Makes things easier as long as they don't kick us out

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Like above, depending where's UH at. Can't recall now, but there were a few seasons not long ago where UH was just average or not good, but still "get chance" (when really they don't deserve it.) Go Bows always first in my book.

Just like bowl games. If UH is in one, that's one more game I get to watch.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

We will be playing SDSU and UNLV each of the next three years. That's awesome.
ImageImage

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Mountain West Announces New Football Schedule Rotation

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The Mountain West announced its new football schedule rotation for the 2023, 2024, and 2025 seasons. Last month, the conference announced the elimination of the two-division format.

The new three-year rotation ensures the Rainbow Warriors will play the 11 other Mountain West teams at least twice during that span including San Diego State and UNLV, whom UH will meet all three years.

The new format was created based on work of a subcommittee of MW athletics directors. It guarantees each team will play two guaranteed opponents annually and face six other conference teams. During the cycle, each team will face nine of the 11 opponents at least twice, once at home and once on the road, and two opponents in each of the three years. The top two teams with the highest conference winning percentage will compete in the MW Football Championship Game on Dec. 2, 2023.

The upcoming 2022 season will be the final year of the two-division format, which was created in 2013.

Future MW Opponents

Home: Air Force, Colorado State, San Diego State, San Jose State

Away: Nevada, New Mexico, UNLV, Wyoming

Home: Boise State, Nevada, New Mexico, UNLV

Away: Air Force, Fresno State, San Diego State, Utah State

Home: Fresno State, San Diego State, Utah State, Wyoming

Away: Boise State, Colorado State, San Jose State, UNLV

Notes:

- UH will not face Fresno State in 2023, which will snap a streak of 31 consecutive years played

- UH will play all four of its rivalry trophy opponents in the same year in 2023 – Air Force (Kuter Trophy), San Jose State (Dick Tomey Legacy Trophy), UNLV (Island Showdown Trophy), and Wyoming (Paniolo Trophy) – for the first time in program history

- In 2023, UH and Air Force will meet for the first time since 2019 and in 2024, the teams will play in Colorado Springs for the first time since 2016

- UH and Nevada will not meet in 2025 which will snap a 24-year streak

- UH will play at least two Mountain Time Zone opponents each of the three years

- Through the end of this rotation, UH will have extend its annual streaks with UNLV and San Diego State to 17 and 14 consecutive years, respectively

- UH and San Jose State will end their streak at 11 straight years in 2024

- UH will play at Boise State in 2025 for the first time since the 2019 season, when the Warriors played in Boise twice that year, once in the regular season and again in the MW championship game

#HawaiiFB

Derek Inouchi
Director of Media Relations
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Athletics Department
1337 Lower Campus Rd. | Honolulu, HI 96822
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Wouldn't be surprised if Boyd Gaming Corporation was able to provide input to the MWC hierarchy to ensure that UH would still be scheduled to play at UNLV every other season. https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1547683451028979715 https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1547686214592933892

roygbivs
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
MLB: Milwaukee, ATL
NBA: Boston [NHL:Vancouver]
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by roygbivs »

Scott wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:30 pm from: Derek Inouchi

Mountain West Announces New Football Schedule Rotation

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The Mountain West announced its new football schedule rotation for the 2023, 2024, and 2025 seasons. Last month, the conference announced the elimination of the two-division format.

The new three-year rotation ensures the Rainbow Warriors will play the 11 other Mountain West teams at least twice during that span including San Diego State and UNLV, whom UH will meet all three years.

The new format was created based on work of a subcommittee of MW athletics directors. It guarantees each team will play two guaranteed opponents annually and face six other conference teams. During the cycle, each team will face nine of the 11 opponents at least twice, once at home and once on the road, and two opponents in each of the three years. The top two teams with the highest conference winning percentage will compete in the MW Football Championship Game on Dec. 2, 2023.

The upcoming 2022 season will be the final year of the two-division format, which was created in 2013.

Future MW Opponents

Home: Air Force, Colorado State, San Diego State, San Jose State

Away: Nevada, New Mexico, UNLV, Wyoming

Home: Boise State, Nevada, New Mexico, UNLV

Away: Air Force, Fresno State, San Diego State, Utah State

Home: Fresno State, San Diego State, Utah State, Wyoming

Away: Boise State, Colorado State, San Jose State, UNLV

Notes:

- UH will not face Fresno State in 2023, which will snap a streak of 31 consecutive years played

- UH will play all four of its rivalry trophy opponents in the same year in 2023 – Air Force (Kuter Trophy), San Jose State (Dick Tomey Legacy Trophy), UNLV (Island Showdown Trophy), and Wyoming (Paniolo Trophy) – for the first time in program history

- In 2023, UH and Air Force will meet for the first time since 2019 and in 2024, the teams will play in Colorado Springs for the first time since 2016

- UH and Nevada will not meet in 2025 which will snap a 24-year streak

- UH will play at least two Mountain Time Zone opponents each of the three years

- Through the end of this rotation, UH will have extend its annual streaks with UNLV and San Diego State to 17 and 14 consecutive years, respectively

- UH and San Jose State will end their streak at 11 straight years in 2024

- UH will play at Boise State in 2025 for the first time since the 2019 season, when the Warriors played in Boise twice that year, once in the regular season and again in the MW championship game

#HawaiiFB

Derek Inouchi
Director of Media Relations
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Athletics Department
1337 Lower Campus Rd. | Honolulu, HI 96822

I would’ve like it if the MWC had gone to a 9-game conference schedule instead like the Pac12. Hawaii pod games every year against Fresno, San Jose, San Diego simple as S I M P L E as can be scheduling wise.