Stories on 2022 Saint Louis, Waianae and Campbell football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Nick Abramo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Stories on 2022 Saint Louis, Waianae and Campbell football

Post by Nick Abramo »

Hello all,

Wanted to pass on links to Bedrock Sports Hawaii stories from this week. Now that spring high school sports is done, it's football season!!

Saint Louis: https://www.bedrocksportshawaii.com/its ... int-louis/

Waianae: https://www.bedrocksportshawaii.com/exc ... all-coach/

Campbell: https://www.bedrocksportshawaii.com/sop ... -campbell/

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Stories on 2022 Saint Louis, Waianae and Campbell football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@Nick Abramo:

Wow! THIS school year hasn't even ended yet, and it's football season already? Well, I guess I'm ready. I think most guys on this message-board are always ready for high school football! The "HS" in my User Name stands for, "High School".

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:08 pm @Nick Abramo:

Wow! THIS school year hasn't even ended yet, and it's football season already? Well, I guess I'm ready. I think most guys on this message-board are always ready for high school football! The "HS" in my User Name stands for, "High School".
What caught my attention was the QB transferring from Punahou to Campbell. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but you don't usually see private school athletes transferring to public schools. I'd imagine it's more common the other way around, with private schools recruiting talent to their program. And while a smart kid can get a good education at any public school (every high school has honors/college prep programs), it seems there is a certain belief among some parents that a private school will give you more opportunities. But Campbell is probably still in the upper half of OIA Open schools, below Kahuku and Mililani, and above the rest in recent years.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Actually, I suspect it's more common for a kid to transfer from a private school to a public school. The reason being, you would figure that if a kid were able to get into a private school, he or she would have done so from the beginning. Not saying that such was the case for the QB you were talking about, but a kid could get kicked-out from a private school for any number of reasons. Or, unless he or she was on some kind of scholarship, perhaps at some point the parents could no longer afford the tuition payments. Or, the kid wasn't able to maintain the grades necessary to keep the scholarship. So, yeah, actually I think it might be more common for a kid to transfer from a private school to a public school.

As for Honors and AP courses, I suspect it might depend on the school. For example, from what I understand, Kaiser High has the highest test scores of all public schools on Oahu. So it follows that without a doubt, there'd be quite a range of Honors and AP classes at that school. However, compare Kaiser High to some other public high school here that isn't known for academics at all. At that school, there might very well be a dearth of selections of Honors and AP courses. I have a couple of schools in mind, but I'm not going to post them here because their alumni might be offended.

I'm not sure Campbell High and Kahuku High would be in the upper half of OIA Open schools in terms of academics, but I think it's very likely that Mililani High is.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:03 pm

What caught my attention was the QB transferring from Punahou to Campbell. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but you don't usually see private school athletes transferring to public schools. I'd imagine it's more common the other way around, with private schools recruiting talent to their program. And while a smart kid can get a good education at any public school (every high school has honors/college prep programs), it seems there is a certain belief among some parents that a private school will give you more opportunities. But Campbell is probably still in the upper half of OIA Open schools, below Kahuku and Mililani, and above the rest in recent years.
Our QB didn't transfer. His brother transferred out of St. Louis.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

See? Another case of a kid transferring from a private school.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:47 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Actually, I suspect it's more common for a kid to transfer from a private school to a public school. The reason being, you would figure that if a kid were able to get into a private school, he or she would have done so from the beginning. Not saying that such was the case for the QB you were talking about, but a kid could get kicked-out from a private school for any number of reasons. Or, unless he or she was on some kind of scholarship, perhaps at some point the parents could no longer afford the tuition payments. Or, the kid wasn't able to maintain the grades necessary to keep the scholarship. So, yeah, actually I think it might be more common for a kid to transfer from a private school to a public school.

As for Honors and AP courses, I suspect it might depend on the school. For example, from what I understand, Kaiser High has the highest test scores of all public schools on Oahu. So it follows that without a doubt, there'd be quite a range of Honors and AP classes at that school. However, compare Kaiser High to some other public high school here that isn't known for academics at all. At that school, there might very well be a dearth of selections of Honors and AP courses. I have a couple of schools in mind, but I'm not going to post them here because their alumni might be offended.

I'm not sure Campbell High and Kahuku High would be in the upper half of OIA Open schools in terms of academics, but I think it's very likely that Mililani High is.
I meant Campbell is above the rest of the OIA Open schools in football, and below Kahuku and Mililani. I don't know about any of the academics. But for a particular football player, it would depend on their academic performance, not just how well the school does as a whole.

I'd imagine there are lots of athletes recruited to private schools to play on their athletic teams. You don't really see as much recruiting in other extracurriculars.

I would also guess there are some parents who don't really consider private schools until their child has a clear path of what they want to do, and if the opportunities at that school are a fit. You don't necessarily know in elementary school if your child would be great at football, or at any sport. Sometimes the development is later on. It could also be for academics that the child doesn't really excel until later grades too. Some kids are average in elementary grade levels, but really start to click in middle school.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:26 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:03 pm

Our QB didn't transfer. His brother transferred out of St. Louis.
That's right, I just typed in the wrong school for some reason.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:30 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:47 pm @ChadFukuoka:

I meant Campbell is above the rest of the OIA Open schools in football, and below Kahuku and Mililani. I don't know about any of the academics. But for a particular football player, it would depend on their academic performance, not just how well the school does as a whole.

I'd imagine there are lots of athletes recruited to private schools to play on their athletic teams. You don't really see as much recruiting in other extracurriculars.

I would also guess there are some parents who don't really consider private schools until their child has a clear path of what they want to do, and if the opportunities at that school are a fit. You don't necessarily know in elementary school if your child would be great at football, or at any sport. Sometimes the development is later on. It could also be for academics that the child doesn't really excel until later grades too. Some kids are average in elementary grade levels, but really start to click in middle school.
@ChadFukuoka:

Oh; OK. I though you meant academics. Although, I'm not so sure that Campbell would necessarily be above Kapolei in football.

When private schools recruit athletes, I'd think they'd recruit them early-on, like before or during freshman year.

Indeed, most private schools today are K-12. But, when it comes to football, I suspect parents start getting serious after the kid has completed 7th grade, because by 8th grade the kid can already compete in Intermediate football.