Way too early Top Ten Open/ D-I

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Way too early Top Ten Open/ D-I

Post by unpaid »

Spent two hours writing up the capsules then computer crashed and I lost the script .I am not gonna do it again so this is just my prediction list for 2022 Open/D-I.

1.Kahuku Runaway favorite,lots of starred recruits and unranked players catching recruiters eyes.
2.St.Louis Has to pick a QB starter from among two.Talent in the pipeline...but they got smashed by Kahuku last year.
3.Punahou
4.Mililani
5.Campbell
6.Kamehameha
7.Waianae
8.Kapolei
9.Farrington Gets blue chip OL Laloulu back, he and Kingston Lilo will anchor a strong OL.
10.Iolani
Last edited by unpaid on Tue May 24, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too early Top Ten Open/ D-I

Post by gopunahou »

Does anyone know if there’ll be an ILH-OIA alliance this coming year?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

League only play until states was a one-off for 2021 only due to a Covid spike is what I’m thinking about last year.Teams from all islands played each other in states without incident. I think the alliance is back to the original format where the OIA-ILH teams all play each other once in the regular season before playoffs.

I don’t have a pipeline into the DOE,but there are some indications to me.

1.DOE hasn’t said anything about restricting public school to league only play after the spike last year.

2. Coaches aren’t going on the record wondering if the alliance is back. They probably know it is.

3. St. Louis doesn’t seem to be trying to schedule a big number of Out of state opponents . Probably know they are gonna be playing all the OIA Open teams once.

4. Between Hudl and MaxPreps, Open Newbie Moanalua shows Kamehameha and St.Louis on the schedule. Another feeble indication that the alliance is back,but I believe Moanalua would not have sought them out as non league opponents.

gopunahou,since you are a Punahou fan , Here’s what I Had to say about the 2022 Punahou team before the team capsules were erased.

3.Punahou

Three-star QB John Keawe Sagapolutele returns. No arguments accepted as he leads the state in the shot put with a put well over 50 feet.I doubt any of his linemen have that much arm strength.OL KJ Hallums is back along with some young skill talent. DL Kekai Burnett is drawing college attention.
Last edited by unpaid on Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

It’s late I know,but I have restored the team capsules I planned to post with my Top Ten predictions for 2022. I will post them in chunks with the intent of avoiding another crash erasing them again. Starting off with 1-2.

1.Kahuku

Red Raiders are loaded. They have several multi starred talents in 4-star LB/TE Liona Lefau plus 3-stars LB Leonard Ah You,DB Brock Fonoimoana, DB Viliamu Toilolo,and WR Kainoa Carvalho. There are plenty of unranked players catching the eye of recruiters like WR Mana Carvalho,DB Chansen Nicodemus-Garcia, DB,DL Lebron Williams. A recent StarAdvertiser article on the 7on7 Rebel Squad team confirms that Kahuku is getting transfers from players with Laie roots. Notables here include DB Aiden Manutai from Mililani and WR Kache Kaio from St.Louis.Waika Crawford should provide a seamless transition at QB for the Red Raiders.In a couple of 2021 games that saw Jason Mareteragi injured,Crawford stepped in and Kahuku didn’t miss a beat on offense.

2.St.Louis

The Crusaders are the only team with a real chance at preventing a second straight Kahuku Open title as I see it,but they have a lot of ground to make up getting after pounded by the Red Raiders in 2021. STL has a few nationally ranked recruits in 3-stars Kahi Graham QB,Nick Delgadillo WR ,Julian Savaiinaea DE,and Trech Kekahuna WR.OL’s Sone Sanerivi and Houston Kaahaina-Torres along with LB’s Anelu Lafaele,Roy Maafala,Jr,and Vincent Tautua are drawing college interest. Mason Muaau is a reliable target through the air for who ever comes out on top in the QB competition between Graham and Oa Kamakawiwoole.
Last edited by unpaid on Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:00 pm League only play until states was a one-off for 2021 only due to a Covid spike is what I’m thinking about last year.Teams from all islands played each other in states without incident. I think the alliance is back to the original format where the OIA-ILH teams all play each other once in the regular season before playoffs.

I don’t have a pipeline into the DOE,but there are some indications to me.

1.DOE hasn’t said anything about restricting public school to league only play after the spike last year.

2. Coaches aren’t going on the record wondering if the alliance is back. They probably know it is.

3. St. Louis doesn’t seem to be trying to schedule a big number of Out of state opponents . Probably know they are gonna be playing all the OIA Open teams once.

4. Between Hudl and MaxPreps, Open Newbie Moanalua shows Kamehameha and St.Louis on the schedule. Another feeble indication that the alliance is back,but I believe Moanalua would not have sought them out as non league opponents.

gopunahou,since you are a Punahou fan , Here’s what I Had to say about the 2022 Punahou team before the team capsules were erased.

3.Punahou

Strong armed QB John Keawe Sagapolutele returns. No arguments accepted as he leads the state in the shot put with a put well over 50 feet.I doubt any of his linemen have that much arm strength.OL KJ Hallums is back along with some young skill talent. DL Kekai Burnett is drawing college attention.
I don’t know anything about kids who are coming up or would-be returnees who aren’t/won’t be Punahou students come August. A lot can change between now and then. I do know of the underclassmen contributors, as well as a kid we expected to contribute but didn’t play because of injuries. Three of our top receivers should return, as does our top rusher (though our running game was a weakness last year). Ean Kamau-Waikiki, Peyton Macapulay, and Astin Hange will be some of our main weapons. We expected Alai Williams to contribute for us at RB but didn’t see him after the first KSK game. Hope he returns and is healthy. Expect Donte Utu to contribute more at WR. Defense is more of a concern since losing Tevarua hurts. One of our better returnees is DB Agenhart Ellis IV. It was also a weak spot last year since we gave up too many big plays. Went against a defense that’d traditionally bend but wouldn’t break. Kids could also change positions and improve our chances. That happened in 2005, when we broke St. Louis’s streak of ILH titles.
Last edited by gopunahou on Sat May 07, 2022 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:43 am It’s late I know,but I have restored the team capsules I planned to post with my Top Ten predictions for 2022. I will post them in chunks with the intent of avoiding another crash erasing them again. Starting off with 1-2.

1.Kahuku

Red Raiders are loaded. They have several multi starred talents in 4-star LB/TE Liona Lefau plus 3-stars LB Leonard Ah You,DB Brock Fonoimoana and WR Kainoa Carvalho. There are plenty of unranked players catching the eye of recruiters like WR Mana Carvalho,DB Chansen Nicodemus-Garcia, DB Viliamu Toilolo,DL Lebron (Williams?Reed?.)A recent StarAdvertiser article on the 7on7 Rebel Squad team confirms that Kahuku is getting transfers from players with Laie roots. Notables here include DB Aiden Manutai from Mililani and WR Kache Kaio from St.Louis.Waika Crawford should provide a seamless transition at QB for the Red Raiders.In a couple of 2021 games that saw Jason Mareteragi injured,Crawford stepped in and Kahuku didn’t miss a beat on offense.

2.St.Louis

The Crusaders are the only team with a real chance at preventing a second straight Kahuku Open title as I see it,but they have a lot of ground to make up getting after pounded by the Red Raiders in 2021. STL has a couple of nationally ranked recruits in 3-stars Kahi Graham QB and Nick Delgadillo WR. OL’s Sone Sanerivi and Houston Kaahaina-Torres along with LB’s Anelu Lafaele,Roy Maafala,Jr,and Vincent Tautua are drawing college interest. WR’s Trech Kekahuna and Mason Muaau are reliable targets through the air for who ever comes out on top in the QB competition between Graham, Oa Kamakawiwoole,and Jaron Sagapolutele.
There’ve been years where Kahuku brought back tons of talent and couldn’t win it all. 2016 comes to mind, although Kahuku made the drastic mistake of only running the ball. Had they not thrown a pass in the 2011 and 2012 state title games, we would’ve been champions those years. The thought of what could’ve been a Punahou 3peat is crushing.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Another key thing I haven’t heard yet is whether there’ll be just one or more than one team at St. Louis and Kamehameha. It’s kind of a shame the league didn’t balance divisions last year and give us more games by letting Iolani play the big 3 and compete for the ILH’s berth in D1. They let Damien baseball compete against the big boys then play in the D2 tournament.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I don’t think you will see St.Louis II and Kamehameha II squads this year.In 2021, the DOE restricted public schools to league only play in regular season.This effectively restricted ILH teams to league only regular seasons. The problem for the ILH was that St.Louis and Kamehameha were the only two teams that still have JV squads.They couldn’t play any OIA teams because of the DOE public school restrictions and the league obviously wasn’t going to make STL and KAM JV’s play each other 4 times and call it a year. They were looking at a hundred or so players who were going to lose a year of practice and game reps. So , they took the JV teams and others who couldn’t make varsity and said we will make those players B squads. They got to compete against themselves twice and Iolani, Damien. and PAC-5 once. The proviso was that they could not play in the D-I or D-II state tournaments.

I believe the alliance returns this season and,if it does,
the STL and KAM JV’s will be playing each other and all the OIA Open JV teams as well .No need for ILH B football teams this year.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Here are the capsules for teams 4-10 for my 2022 Top Ten preseason.

4.Mililani

Trojans should be good to go if QB Kini McMillan is good to go at 100%.Losing Aiden Manutai is a hit for the D but 3-star ATH Gavin Hunter can lend a hand on defense as well as LB Kamaehu Roman 6-0 200. Mililani is apparently getting a load of transfers from St.Louis.

5.Campbell

3-star WR Kamaehu Kaawalauole 6-4.5 185 is going to create problems for opposing DB,s as well as most LB’s. Kela Moore DB and three-star 6-2 220 LB Blesyng Alualu-Tuiolemotu play the hits on defense. UTIL Tana Togafau-Tavui might show up anywhere on the field. Jaron Sagapolutele QB transfers in from St.Louis and adds to the QB competition.

6.Kamehameha

Tristan Waiamau-Galindo LB 6-3 220 is a versatile defender who can drop in coverage or rush the passer from DE.

7.Waianae

6-4 290 Josiah Timoteo is a three-star lineman of note on offense. To me,what the Seariders really need is a head coach that can stick around for more than a year or two and bring some continuity to the program so they can develop the talent that comes through that school every year.

8.Kapolei

Iosepa Tapeni is a 6-3 270 two-way lineman who will move people around.

9.Farrington

The Governors are the first D-I team I have in the Top Ten. Kingston Lilo is a solid 6-3 290 force on the line. 4-star Iapani Laloulu is coming back to Farrington. Those two guys will make life a lot easier for the Govs offensive skill players.

10.Iolani.

Coach Look doesn’t get a lot of nationally ranked recruits but, the players he does get get forged by the coaching staff into a team that plays with good technique and minimizes penalties and errors.
Last edited by unpaid on Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:22 pm Here are the capsules for teams 4-10 for my 2022 Top Ten preseason.

4.Mililani

Trojans should be good to go if QB Kini McMillan is good to go at 100%.Losing Aiden Manutai is a hit for the D but 3-star ATH Gavin Hunter can lend a hand on defense as well as LB Kamaehu Roman 6-0 200.

5.Campbell

3-star WR Kamaehu Kaawalauole 6-4.5 185 is going to create problems for opposing DB,s as well as most LB’s. Kela Moore DB and 6-2 220 LB Blesyng Alualu-Tuiolemotu play the hits on defense. UTIL Tana Togafau-Tavui might show up anywhere on the field.

6.Kamehameha

Tristan Waiamau-Galindo LB 6-3 220 is a versatile defender who can drop in coverage or rush the passer from DE.

7.Waianae

6-4 290 Josiah Timoteo is a lineman of note on offense. To me,what the Seariders really need is a head coach that can stick around for more than a year or two and bring some continuity to the program so they can develop the talent that comes through that school every year.

8.Kapolei

9.Farrington

The Governors are the first D-I team I have in the Top Ten. Kingston Lilo is a solid 6-3 290 force on the line. If the rumor is true that 4-star Iapani Laloulu is coming back Farrington, then those two guys will make life a lot easier for the Govs offensive skill players.

10.Iolani.

Coach Look doesn’t get a lot of nationally ranked recruits but, the players he does get get forged by the coaching staff into a team that plays with good technique and minimizes penalties and errors.
Amazing that there once was a time when Iolani FB players received D1 offers on the regular. Between 1997 and 2004, 10 Iolani players landed spots on D1 rosters, mostly on scholarship. There were others who could have played D1 FB but chose other sports.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:10 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:22 pm Here are the capsules for teams 4-10 for my 2022 Top Ten preseason.

4.Mililani

Trojans should be good to go if QB Kini McMillan is good to go at 100%.Losing Aiden Manutai is a hit for the D but 3-star ATH Gavin Hunter can lend a hand on defense as well as LB Kamaehu Roman 6-0 200.

5.Campbell

3-star WR Kamaehu Kaawalauole 6-4.5 185 is going to create problems for opposing DB,s as well as most LB’s. Kela Moore DB and 6-2 220 LB Blesyng Alualu-Tuiolemotu play the hits on defense. UTIL Tana Togafau-Tavui might show up anywhere on the field.

6.Kamehameha

7.Waianae

6-4 290 Josiah Timoteo is a lineman of note on offense. To me,what the Seariders really need is a head coach that can stick around for more than a year or two and bring some continuity to the program so they can develop the talent that comes through that school every year.

8.Kapolei

9.Farrington

The Governors are the first D-I team I have in the Top Ten. Kingston Lilo is a solid 6-3 290 force on the line. If the rumor is true that 4-star Iapani Laloulu is coming back Farrington, then those two guys will make life a lot easier for the Govs offensive skill players.

10.Iolani.

Amazing that there once was a time when Iolani FB players received D1 offers on the regular. Between 1997 and 2004, 10 Iolani players landed spots on D1 rosters, mostly on scholarship. There were others who could have played D1 FB but chose other sports.
I've wondered if Iolani choosing to play D2, or now D1, instead of the highest division is what led to this. Are players not going there because they know Iolani is not in the top division anymore. Would any of those 10 players have played for Iolani if D2 existed at that time, and Iolani was in D2?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:01 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:10 pm

4.Mililani

5.Campbell

6.Kamehameha

7.Waianae

8.Kapolei

9.Farrington

10.Iolani.

I've wondered if Iolani choosing to play D2, or now D1, instead of the highest division is what led to this. Are players not going there because they know Iolani is not in the top division anymore. Would any of those 10 players have played for Iolani if D2 existed at that time, and Iolani was in D2?
I think only one would, because he started there in Kindergarten.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I like the new HC hire by Waianae with Thom Kaumeyer.He has college and NFL experience. Now,if he can stick around long enough to make a difference.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Since it is likely there’ll be an alliance, the location of games will be interesting. I’m guessing even big games (St. Louis-Kahuku, Mililani-Punahou) will be played at OIA schools. I wonder if St. Louis will play all of its games on the road (since it is the only open school that uses its field for games; its last and only “home” game in recent memory was 2009). The location of the St. Louis-Kamehameha game will be interesting, since they’ve each other played at Aloha Stadium every year since 1992. My guess is that Farrington will be a neutral site for some big games.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I have updated the Top Ten team capsules to reflect that Jaron Sagapolutele has transferred to Campbell. Nick Abramo at Bedrocksportshawaii has more info there.

It is my understanding that Kamehameha has finished work that kept them from using their home field in 2021. I would think the Warriors would host St.Louis and Punahou this year. However, the Crusaders and Puns might prefer Farrington
as a more neutral (read: not Kamehameha’s house) site. I wonder what St.Louis and Punahou are planning to deal with the loss of Aloha Stadium. They can’t stand pat. They need to find a way to have home facilities of their own like Kamehameha. Kahuku’s renovations are done too, so they have home games again. As far as I know,Kalaheo still doesn’t have stadium lighting at their place.