Way too early Top Ten Open/ D-I

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too early Top Ten Open/ D-I

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:14 am I have updated the Top Ten team capsules to reflect that Jaron Sagapolutele has transferred to Campbell. Nick Abramo at Bedrocksportshawaii has more info there.

It is my understanding that Kamehameha has finished work that kept them from using their home field in 2021. I would think the Warriors would host St.Louis and Punahou this year. However, the Crusaders and Puns might prefer Farrington
as a more neutral (read: not Kamehameha’s house) site. I wonder what St.Louis and Punahou are planning to deal with the loss of Aloha Stadium. They can’t stand pat. They need to find a way to have home facilities of their own like Kamehameha. Kahuku’s renovations are done too, so they have home games again. As far as I know,Kalaheo still doesn’t have stadium lighting at their place.
Maxpreps says we are hosting Moanalua. As for Kamehameha, the last time we played at their stadium was 2002. I think hosting them in 2019 balanced things out. I can’t imagine St. Louis agreeing to play them at their place, which has never happened.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

That is why it’s so interesting as to where the Big 3 ILH teams will play each other in the current era. Honolulu Stadium(Termite Palace) from my high school day is long gone. Aloha Stadium is gone with no concrete reason to believe that it will ever get replaced by state government. No buzz about TC Ching last year or this year(UH in total control now,not gonna let HS teams use it for regular season games.)

Th ILH safety net is gone. Kamehameha is the only league school that has stadium seating with lights. Punahou and St.Louis don’t (I don’t see that changing either with Punahou’s neighbors across the street or St.Louis having to rob other sports playing fields to build out stadium seating and lights for football.)

Iolani has stadium seating with no lights and they do home and home because they want the true Hs experience even if it means home games are on Friday afternoons.Punahou could do the same since they only lack those pesky lights the neighbors hate but, they don’t seem to want to do that despite the fact that there is no longer a city or state facility for them to play in.

Welcome to public school reality.Those who have on campus facilities get to have home and home games .Those who don’t are perpetual road warriors(Kalaheo, Kaimuki,Kalani,McKinley)

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:16 pm That is why it’s so interesting as to where the Big 3 ILH teams will play each other in the current era. Honolulu Stadium(Termite Palace) from my high school day is long gone. Aloha Stadium is gone with no concrete reason to believe that it will ever get replaced by state government. No buzz about TC Ching last year or this year(UH in total control now,not gonna let HS teams use it for regular season games.)

Th ILH safety net is gone. Kamehameha is the only league school that has stadium seating with lights. Punahou and St.Louis don’t (I don’t see that changing either with Punahou’s neighbors across the street or St.Louis having to rob other sports playing fields to build out stadium seating and lights for football.)

Iolani has stadium seating with no lights and they do home and home because they want the true Hs experience even if it means home games are on Friday afternoons.Punahou could do the same since they only lack those pesky lights the neighbors hate but, they don’t seem to want to do that despite the fact that there is no longer a city or state facility for them to play in.

Welcome to public school reality.Those who have on campus facilities get to have home and home games .Those who don’t are perpetual road warriors(Kalaheo, Kaimuki,Kalani,McKinley)
All of the public schools you mentioned are in D2. So maybe football isn't really a priority for those schools, maybe their student support isn't as high as at other schools. And they all have nearby fields to play at, Kalani often plays at Kaiser, Kaimuki at Roosevelt, McKinley at Roosevelt or Farrington, and Kalaheo at Castle or Kailua. With the exception of McKinley, the other three schools rank at the bottom in enrollment, so their smaller student body leads to lower numbers for the football team. It's not uncommon to see any of those teams forfeit due to low numbers.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I find it amazing that Castle can play night games without bothering people but Punahou can’t.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:42 pm I find it amazing that Castle can play night games without bothering people but Punahou can’t.
Maybe it's just downtown Honolulu residents being more picky about it. Anywhere else and it's not a problem, whether it's Kaneohe, Mililani, Ewa Beach, Wahaiwa, etc. I know the residents in the McKinley area don't want a stadium with lights built either.

It would be nice for all of the ILH Open schools to be able to have stadiums with lights, and to be able to host games at home. I don't see a new stadium the size of Aloha Stadium being built in the near future, so I wonder if any of the three schools will consider long term plans for this.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kamehameha already has a stadium with lights and they have hosted football games there. St.Louis and Punahou are the only two ILH Open schools who have to figure out how to have on campus facilities for football home games.True home games.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

KAHUKU to play St.John BOSCO Sept.17,2022 at BOSCO. Don't think they want to play Kahuku at new field. Anyway good national indicator for Kahuku.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:36 pm KAHUKU to play St.John BOSCO Sept.17,2022 at BOSCO. Don't think they want to play Kahuku at new field. Anyway good national indicator for Kahuku.
I think the Kahuku/St John Bosco game will be more competitive than the Mililani/Mater Dei game.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:14 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:36 pm KAHUKU to play St.John BOSCO Sept.17,2022 at BOSCO. Don't think they want to play Kahuku at new field. Anyway good national indicator for Kahuku.
I think the Kahuku/St John Bosco game will be more competitive than the Mililani/Mater Dei game.
Then St.Louis plays Bishop Gorman at Mililani. Where will Matre Dei game be? After that ugly Mililani/ St.J.Bosco game 2019 at Mililani (unsportsman) you would wonder.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mililani-MaterDei is at St. John Bosco. This game and the Kahuku-St.John Bosco game that weekend is the Trinity League vs.the USA event. St. John Bosco is hosting.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:28 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:42 pm I find it amazing that Castle can play night games without bothering people but Punahou can’t.
Maybe it's just downtown Honolulu residents being more picky about it. Anywhere else and it's not a problem, whether it's Kaneohe, Mililani, Ewa Beach, Wahaiwa, etc. I know the residents in the McKinley area don't want a stadium with lights built either.

It would be nice for all of the ILH Open schools to be able to have stadiums with lights, and to be able to host games at home. I don't see a new stadium the size of Aloha Stadium being built in the near future, so I wonder if any of the three schools will consider long term plans for this.
I know this post is coming nearly 2 weeks later, but I think a factor is the fact that private and public schools played together long ago--throughout the 1st half of the 20th century to 1969. Most ILH games (Farrington, McKinley, Kaimuki, Roosevelt, and Kalani were all part of the ILH before 1970) took place at UH's stadium at the time. There was never a need for Honolulu schools to host games as there was for OIA schools (all of which were rural before 1970).

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:56 pm

I know this post is coming nearly 2 weeks later, but I think a factor is the fact that private and public schools played together long ago--throughout the 1st half of the 20th century to 1969. Most ILH games (Farrington, McKinley, Kaimuki, Roosevelt, and Kalani were all part of the ILH before 1970) took place at UH's stadium at the time. There was never a need for Honolulu schools to host games as there was for OIA schools (all of which were rural before 1970).
Assuming a new UH stadium isn't built any time soon, what are Punahou's long term plans? Do they just plan to play at neutral sites, (Farrington), or on the road? Do they plan on renovating their field?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:00 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:56 pm

Assuming a new UH stadium isn't built any time soon, what are Punahou's long term plans? Do they just plan to play at neutral sites, (Farrington), or on the road? Do they plan on renovating their field?
Our game against Moanalua is happening at our place, according to Maxpreps. We can fit some day games at our place in.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

unpaid wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:57 am Mililani-MaterDei is at St. John Bosco. This game and the Kahuku-St.John Bosco game that weekend is the Trinity League vs.the USA event. St. John Bosco is hosting.
Mahaloz

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Well, there go my plans and hopes of watching the Mater Dei-Mililani game. If only I could make a narcissistic internet troll pay for the trip.