Hawaii HS Football Transfer Portal

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Hawaii HS Football Transfer Portal

Post by Dog 96707 »

Yes! Football season is right around the corner. About this time is usually when people start entering the HS transfer portal 🤣😂 Here's the names that I've HEARD so far. I know a few that have made the move already and some are just rumors so far. Names with question mark are not confirmed. If any can confirm or make any corrections or additions, it'll be great. Looks like Kahuku is definitely the team to beat. They're crazy talented already and these additions will only make them head and shoulders above everyone else. I believe Punahou is the team to beat in the ILH...can't wait for the season to start
Manoa Hallums RB, Mililani to Kahuku
Aiden Manutai DB, Mililani to Kahuku
Ranson Koide DB, Mililani to Moanalua
Kanoa Ferreira WR, Mililani to Campbell
Iapani Laloulu OL, St. Louis to Farrington?
Kache Kaio WR, St. Louis to Kahuku?
Tencaum Moeai OL, Punahou to Kahuku?
Solomone Malafu LB, Kapa'a to Kahuku?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Hawaii HS Football Transfer Portal

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Dog 96707 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:32 am Yes! Football season is right around the corner. About this time is usually when people start entering the HS transfer portal 🤣😂 Here's the names that I've HEARD so far. I know a few that have made the move already and some are just rumors so far. Names with question mark are not confirmed. If any can confirm or make any corrections or additions, it'll be great. Looks like Kahuku is definitely the team to beat. They're crazy talented already and these additions will only make them head and shoulders above everyone else. I believe Punahou is the team to beat in the ILH...can't wait for the season to start
Manoa Hallums RB, Mililani to Kahuku
Aiden Manutai DB, Mililani to Kahuku
Ranson Koide DB, Mililani to Moanalua
Kanoa Ferreira WR, Mililani to Campbell
Iapani Laloulu OL, St. Louis to Farrington?
Kache Kaio WR, St. Louis to Kahuku?
Tencaum Moeai OL, Punahou to Kahuku?
Solomone Malafu LB, Kapa'a to Kahuku?
The DB thats transferring from Mililani to Moanalua? Kind of surprising to me. I know Moanalua moved up to Open for next season, but Mililani has been a decent program for the last several years. Maybe it's a playing time issue?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka:

With Farrington dropping-down to D1, Moanalua might very well end-up in the cellar in OIA Open. I think Mililani will roll Moanalua.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:56 pm @ChadFukuoka:

With Farrington dropping-down to D1, Moanalua might very well end-up in the cellar in OIA Open. I think Mililani will roll Moanalua.
I've wondered if it's better for teams to be able to move up and down the 3 divisions, or if it's better for teams to be permanently locked into a division. If teams like Moanalua move up to Open, get smoked in every game, and eventually move back down to D1, then was it worth it? I guess some of it depends on a school's turnout, whether they recruit from out of district, coaching, etc. And I guess struggling teams like Farrington need to drop down to be more competitive. But does moving back and forth, up and down, really build a long term successful program?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I think classifications should be tossed, period. I'd like to see us go back to how it was in the mid-'70s, when there were no "divisions". All schools played each other. In the ILH, all schools played each other. In the OIA, all West Division schools played each other, and all East Division schools played each other. There were no strength divisions to move up and down in. (The OIA divisions were geographic divisions.) Now, in the OIA East Division, McKinley might not want to play Kahuku for health-and-safety reasons. OK, then McKinley can forfeit. In the OIA West Division, Pearl City might not want to play Mililani for health-and-safety reasons. OK, then Pearl City can forfeit. In the ILH, Damien might not want to play St Louis for health-and-safety reasons. OK, then Damien can forfeit.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

My guess is that Solomone Malafu stays at Kapaa for his upcoming senior year. It’s true that he is playing for Rebel Squad out of Laie on the current 7on7 circuit,but I don’t believe that means he will suit up for Kahuku in the fall.

From recruiting sites I follow on the ‘net, Malafu has indicated that, 1. Playing for Rebel Squad is just a way to get seen in person by college recruiters and, 2. He’s sticking with his Kapaa team brothers for his last high school season.

I don’t have any info on the other players mentioned.

Surprising to see Kahuku as the overwhelming transfer destination of choice...or are many of these players kids who grew up in the district and are now thinking about returning?

I think Kainoa (sp?) Ferreira was originally at Campbell,was invited to play for IMG Academy but turned it down,then transferred to Mililani last year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:

Kahuku is the overwhelming transfer destination because they'll probably repeat as State Open champs. At least, that's my prediction.

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

Who does York have coming and are they comparable to what York is losing? Manutai is a big loss.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@BowTow:

Whomever York is getting, I think he and Mililani will play second fiddle to Kahuku again. I mean, they'll probably play Kahuku for the OIA Open title, but I think Kahuku will pull-out the win.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Dog 96707,

You must have good sources. I checked the social media page of one of the players that you said was confirmed to you as transferring to Kahuku and ,sure enough , his listed school is now Kahuku ,which is not the school he played for last year.
On the other hand,I checked another confirmed transfers page and he still lists his school as the one he played for last year,not Kahuku.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@kapakahi:

1. So, apparently at least Ron will be back at St Louis. Rumor had it that he and brother Cal might have retired after this past season.
2. If we're talking KPT, I'm assuming that Laloulu will be transferring to Farrington? I prefer Farrington High to St Louis School, so I'm glad to hear that.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:00 pm @unpaid:

Kahuku is the overwhelming transfer destination because they'll probably repeat as State Open champs. At least, that's my prediction.
But Kahuku is a remote area. So unless you have family in Kahuku,Laie,Hauula and Kaaawa, commuting is hard. And even with the case of Aiden Manutai, transfering to Kahuku cannot guarantee a start. Right now the db corp at Kahuku is tight. But here are the things that might aid transfer fever. A convincing 2021 OPEN championship. A spanking new turf field. A young coach with a wide open offensive scheme and a program built on pride and respect. Also, what island kid wouldn't want to play St.John Bosco in Cali? I'm sure they are more national ranked teams in the forecast. Good thing about Manutai, Hallums and Kaio transfers is they would be underclassmen and have extra years at Kahuku. All ILH teams have pipeline to Kahuku. Even Mililani and Campbell. Maybe that line has tightened a bit. But the ILH does provide a very great option for the student and family.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@TheNewNORM:

Yes, Kahuku is remote, but isn't there also less traffic? As I had said back in April in the post you responded to, I think Kahuku will win State Open again. Really, I think that alone is all the school really needs, to draw transfers. Don't think a new turf field is absolutely necessary, though of course it would be an additional draw. St Louis has been drawing kids for some two decades, yet they don't even have a stadium where they can play vars games. Yes, I believe they got a new field a few years ago, but they can't play vars games on it. It's not a stadium. If a school has a competitive Open team, they (transfers) will come. Kids will beat a path to their door.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kahuku should be as dominant as they were last year as long as they don’t use the strategy they used in the 2016 title game. The one that involved not throwing a single pass.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!