Mainland vs. Hawaii banner year in 2022.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Mainland vs. Hawaii banner year in 2022.

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@unpaid:

Likewise, you're attempting to make your point all the time in threads we've encountered each other. Maybe we both should give it a rest? Or, perhaps neither of us should. Neither of our arguments is necessarily superior to the other. This isn't about being a "downer"; this is about facing physical realities. Unfortunately, reality is often a downer. All that's happening here is that both aspects of playing mainland powerhouse schools in football are being offered. We don't want to suppress the free expression of opinions, do we? Ideas should be exchanged freely. If any one side simply tells the other, "Give it a rest", well, that's not speaking to the substance of ideas. On these threads, I never tell another poster, "Maybe you should give it a rest". I try to face that party's position squarely. However, since you created this thread, I'll simply try to keep off of it in future. That's a simple courtesy. I hope I don't screw-up and forget.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:43 pm @unpaid:

Oh, it doesn't upset me at all. Was just expressing an opinion. If schools here want to take-on mainland powerhouses, have at it. What am I going to do about it? Also, I didn't say there was anything wrong with playing mainland teams; all I said was that when you play the powerhouses, it's more likely that your starters will suffer injury, simply because those powerhouses tend to be big and physical. How does that help you win the State Open title?

Also, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with isolationism. The US was isolationist at least twice during the past century; that isolationism helped keep us out of wars for a longer period of time.

As for the Iolani Classic, at least there's a trophy to shoot for. When an Oahu football team plays a mainland powerhouse, there's no trophy; it's not even a tournament. It's simply one exhibition game. Also, basketball isn't as physical and violent as football; it's very unlikely a basketball team will suffer injury, no matter which school it plays. It's not a heavy-contact sport. In that sense, comparing basketball to football is to compare apples to oranges.

What I do know is that if I were a Kahuku alumnus or St Louis alumnus, I'd be awfully pissed if the team lost a starter or two (or, more) to injury after playing one of those big, physical mainland powerhouse teams, and the loss of that player or those players figured-into losing the State Open championship. And, what if Kahuku or St Louis lost to that mainland powerhouse, on top of that? Then, what was it all for in the first place?
Is there any statistical proof that players get hurt more often against elite teams (or mainland teams) than against more evenly matched or lesser opponents? If someone gets hurt because they landed awkwardly after being tackled, that's a pretty random injury, and could happen even against a smaller sized tackler.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

(I've read your post, but I don't wish to respond, as I'd promised unpaid in my previous post that I'd stay off this thread.)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Didn’t take long to forget! Next post by Chad and here you are again. Figured.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:

Let's please not be petty or childish. I didn't forget; I just wanted to simply acknowledge ChadFukuoka's post, because it was addressed to me. I thought it would be rude if I didn't merely acknowledge it. I didn't address the post to you; I wasn't trying to provoke you. Notice that I didn't attempt to answer his question? I even put my response in parentheses.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Per MaxPreps,Punahou travels to Utah for a football game against Orem HS on Friday September 9 this fall.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kahuku is not the only Hawaii school to have scheduled two national powers on their 2022 football schedule. Mililani, which plays Mater Dei this year,also has scheduled Mission Viejo HS,CA . The contest is set for Friday, August 19th at Mililani.The Mater Dei game takes place about a month later. Mission Viejo finished 2021 as the 71st ranked high school squad in the country according to MaxPreps Top 100.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:07 pm Per MaxPreps,Punahou travels to Utah for a football game against Orem HS on Friday September 9 this fall.
I think the only other time we've played a Utah team was 2005, the year we snapped St. Louis's streak of ILH championships.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:32 am Kahuku is not the only Hawaii school to have scheduled two national powers on their 2022 football schedule. Mililani, which plays Mater Dei this year,also has scheduled Mission Viejo HS,CA . The contest is set for Friday, August 19th at Mililani.The Mater Dei game takes place about a month later. Mission Viejo finished 2021 as the 71st ranked high school squad in the country according to MaxPreps Top 100.
For many years, I hoped Kahuku would schedule Mission Viejo (because there've been multiple kids who transferred there after previously playing for Kahuku). It's as if Mission Viejo and Kahuku have got a connection--i.e. Mission Viejo being the "Kahuku of California." But Mililani's got cojones to play a couple of mainland powers.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I hope to breakdown some of these interstate football matchups later on when summer practice begins. My impressions right now of Mililani are that I don’t think they can beat Mater Dei but could beat Mission Viejo. The Diablos are a good public school program with an enrollment just over 2,000 students similar to Mililani. MV has a projected 16 starters returning in the fall if no one transfers out.

I like how Punahou mixes it up. One year,they’ll play a WA team,next year it could be a CA or UT school.That Orem game should be good. Should be winnable for Punahou.

Kapaa had that jumbo O-line last year. Two graduate in a little while, but three come back this fall. I wonder if they will go out of state for a game or,failing that maybe take on a D-I contender like Konawaena or maybe even an Open school like Waianae or Leilehua.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Per MaxPreps, Kamehameha has a home game with Liberty HS from Henderson,NV on Saturday,September 17 @ 7pm.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.khon2.com/sports/kahuku-foo ... september/ https://twitter.com/MDFootball/status/1511020902028230661 https://twitter.com/boscofootball/status/1516170019293392897 https://twitter.com/c_shimabuku/status/1528560599533121536 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1528598972767432704

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Aiea Na Alii plays a Thursday night game September 1 against Woodinville WA per MaxPreps. The Falcons play in 4A classification. The game is in the King County-Seattle metro.Woodinville runs a spread offense.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:40 am Aiea Na Alii plays a Thursday night game September 1 against Woodinville WA per MaxPreps. The Falcons play in 4A classification. The game is in the King County-Seattle metro.Woodinville runs a spread offense.
I can't remember if Aiea ever played a mainland team. I don't recall them doing so.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Per Hawaiiprepworld, Aiea played Centennial HS,OR in 2016 in Oregon. According to the team records going back to 1962, that was the only time Aiea has played an out of state opponent so far. The Woodinville game will be the second time.