Girls' Water Polo '22

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Girls' Water Polo '22

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

I read today's Sports page just now. Says the State girls' water polo tourney starts next week Monday. There'll be 2 matches at Kamehameha Schools' pool. First match at 3: Kamehameha vs Waiakea. Second match at 5: Kaiser vs Mililani. Don't know how good Waiakea is. But, the second match should be pretty good; both Kaiser and Mililani are good. Meanwhile, at Kona Aquatics on the Big Island, it's Hawaii Prep vs Kalaheo.
Second day of competition is Thursday, May 5, again at Kamehameha Schools' pool. Roosevelt plays the third match, at 5:45. They play the winner of the Hawaii Prep vs Kalaheo match. If guys on Oahu have time, they can head-out to Kamehameha Schools' pool and catch the action both days. Of course, there are other matches going on, on Thursday, May 5, all at Kamehameha Schools' pool. Check the Calendar in today's Sports page.
Don't know if they'll be charging admission; I'd imagine there's a fence or wall surrounding the pool area. Call Kamehameha Schools Athletic Dept.

(I generated this post because I'd posted on the previous page about the Roosevelt twins, so I thought I'd mention when Roosevelt plays next. As OIA champs, they have a bye on Monday. With 2 days' rest between matches, I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage it is to have to play on the first day. I mean, water polo isn't like baseball, where a pitcher needs to have at least 3 or 4 days' rest between complete games.)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Results of today's matches:

Hawaii Prep 22, Kalaheo 8
Kahuku 11, Baldwin 5
Kamehameha - Kapalama 21, Waiakea 1
Kaiser 14, Mililani 4

I have to believe that Kalaheo alumni, Waiakea alumni, and Mililani alumni are pissed.
Baldwin's score was a little more respectable.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

In the first of four matches today, Kaiser kicked Kamehameha - Big Island's butts, 7-1.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

In the second match, Kamehameha - Kapalama kicked Lahainaluna's butts, 15-1.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Third match was a thriller. In double overtime, Hawaii Prep edged Roosevelt, 12-11. Roosevelt alumni must be pissed. Such a heartbreaker, to lose by just one goal, after 2 overtimes.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

In the final match of the day (night?), Punahou kicked Kahuku's butts, 16-5. This wraps-up a busy day (and night) of girls' water polo at Kamehameha's pool. Like, the Punahou v Kahuku match was scheduled to start at 7 pm. I wonder if it might have started even later, seeing as the match before it--Roosevelt v Hawaii Prep--went to 2 OTs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

State girls' water polo tourney continues today (and tonight) at Kamehameha's pool:

3:15 pm: Lahainaluna vs Roosevelt
4:30 pm: Kahuku vs Kaiser
5:45 pm: Kamehameha vs Hawaii Prep
7:00 pm: Kaiser vs Punahou

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

First match is in the books: Roosevelt kicked Lahainaluna's butts, 20-7. I noticed just now that Roosevelt's heartbreaking, 12-11 double-overtime loss to Hawaii Prep yesterday was their first loss of the season. But, they apparently picked-up the pieces from that heartbreaker, to thrash Lahainaluna. Last week I had mentioned that news article in the Star-Advertiser, complete with photos, featuring the Uchimura twins; they're both seniors on Roosevelt's team. In the match against Lahainaluna, Kaya scored 4 goals, and Maya scored 2. What can you say? Nice effort and nice recovery on Roosevelt's part. In fact, I guess I should tip my hat to the entire team. Nice to see young people persevere like that; it's kind of inspiring. It's surreal that high-school teens can teach life lessons to old farts. I hope this tournament was a good experience for those girls that will last a lifetime.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:22 am State girls' water polo tourney continues today (and tonight) at Kamehameha's pool:

3:15 pm: Lahainaluna vs Roosevelt
4:30 pm: Kahuku vs Kaiser
5:45 pm: Kamehameha vs Hawaii Prep
7:00 pm: Kaiser vs Punahou
Sorry; I had made an error. The 2nd match was Kamehameha - Big Island vs Kahuku

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Last 3 matches of the day/night:

Kamehameha - Big Island 9, Kahuku 5
Kamehameha - Kapalama 14, Hawaii Prep 2
Punahou 16, Kaiser 1

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Congrats to Punahou on winning the girls water polo state title over Kamehameha 11-3.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Kamehameha made a lousy showing. In one match during the regular ILH season, they lost to Punahou by only 1 goal, 8-7.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

There's no cheerleading thread, so I'm using what I guess is the next-closest sport (girls' water polo). Did you guys see the story in today's paper about the Moanalua cheerleader twins (Abrie and Bailey Prinea) who made the Arizona pep squad next year? There's a story and a large color photo of them; in the background of the photo is a "Menehune" fence banner, so the photo obviously was taken at the school. I generated this post just to lament that those girls hadn't selected UH instead. The home team has taken so many hits from students who have decided to enroll elsewhere. There's Kamehameha's Devin Kahahawai, who might be the best female volleyball player in the state; she'll be playing for Texas next year.

As a UH alumnus, I'm hoping that the Prinea girls and Kahahawai get homesick, and transfer to UH. And, the sooner, the better. After all, it's not like UH's women's volleyball team and cheer squad suck; aren't they both above average? Both Kahahawai and the Prinea girls could get so much media exposure and love if they transfer to and play for UH, and all three girls are from right here on Oahu, too, where UH is. They could be performing before family and friends. I mean, of course those girls have a right to play (cheer) for whichever college they wish, but I'm just hoping they get homesick, and decide to play (cheer) for the home team.

Go 'Bows.

Waterpoloparent
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Waterpoloparent »

Just saw this today. Wanted to fix some errors. Kaiser played HPA and with the final score being 9-6 and with hard work and great defensive playing and speed, Kaiser came in third in states behind Punahou and Kamehameha. Keep in mind that HPA beat Roosevelt in double overtime. Throughout Kaiser’s season, Kaiser’s players were taught to play tough but to also show respect to weaker teams and domination was never allowed. Therefore looking at the scoreboard does not truly reflect the skill levels/scoring ability of the players as in many games they were given restrictions as to when they could score, and how many they could score or not. Did this affect rankings at the ending of the year in terms of 1st, 2nd teams and honorable mention? Possibly. But the weaker teams often were grateful at the end of the game. It’s called playing with toughness but with some humility.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I have to say that I am really tired of reading posts about how butts got kicked ,and how pi—-d some alumni should be . Give it a rest. Tired of hearing about how some schools should make another team “pay” .