Girls' Water Polo '22

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Girls' Water Polo '22

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Kapolei beat Pearl City in girls' water polo, 20-1, today. That's not a forfeit; that's the actual score from the full match. I don't dislike Pearl City High, so I'm not gloating. I posted the result to show how strong Kaiser is: Kaiser beat Kapolei 10-1, just over a week ago. And, I mentioned that to pose this question: Can Kaiser beat Punahou? At this point I'm certain that Kaiser will be OIA champ, and Punahou will be ILH champ. So, they're both going to States. The question again is, can Kaiser beat Punahou?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:19 pm Kapolei beat Pearl City in girls' water polo, 20-1, today. That's not a forfeit; that's the actual score from the full match. I don't dislike Pearl City High, so I'm not gloating. I posted the result to show how strong Kaiser is: Kaiser beat Kapolei 10-1, just over a week ago. And, I mentioned that to pose this question: Can Kaiser beat Punahou? At this point I'm certain that Kaiser will be OIA champ, and Punahou will be ILH champ. So, they're both going to States. The question again is, can Kaiser beat Punahou?
I'd imagine ILH schools have a significant advantage over OIA schools in that they have more resources as private schools. A lot of public high schools don't have a dedicated youth program to act as feeders to the high school team. Private schools have an advantage in that they are usually K-12, so their younger students can train at school facilities from an earlier age. Punahou has long had success at swimming and diving, and water polo, because of their resources, and the ability to have more youth/developmental coaches.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, in Punahou's case, they've been strong in girls' water polo for so many years that that school simply attracts applicants who are good in water polo. But then, why is Kaiser so strong? They haven't been good in girls' water polo for anywhere near as long as Punahou has, yet they've had very good teams this season and the last one, which was in '20, I think.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Strangest thing: Kamehameha and Punahou have a water polo match today, but it's at Iolani School's pool. Why, when both Kamehameha and Punahou each has its own pool? Just sayin'. I don't think this is for the ILH title, as Punahou is undefeated, so there's no need for a neutral pool.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Oh; I just found out that there'll be a doubleheader at Iolani's pool. The first match is at 5; that's the Kamehameha v Punahou match. Then at 6:15, Mid-Pac and Iolani have a match. Interesting.
When the season began, I thought that Kamehameha would give Punahou a run for its money. Unfortunately, (I like Kamehameha Schools) Kamehameha's O hasn't been as good as I thought it would be. So, Punahou might very well win by at least 4 goals. The Mid-Pac v Iolani match might be closer.
There are no OIA matches today.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Too bad; Kamehameha lost by just one goal, 8-7. Well, at least it was very close. That serves as an encouragement for Kamehameha's girls. Meanwhile, Mid-Pac beat Iolani, 9-6.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I normally don't post about neighbor-island schools, but I was struck by the wild score from Maui: Baldwin 17, Seabury Hall 15. I mean, that match must have been wild to watch. Talk about a shootout; and it was close. Nothing that was that high-scoring and close here on Oahu.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:13 pm I normally don't post about neighbor-island schools, but I was struck by the wild score from Maui: Baldwin 17, Seabury Hall 15. I mean, that match must have been wild to watch. Talk about a shootout; and it was close. Nothing that was that high-scoring and close here on Oahu.
How long is a water polo match? I think it's 8 minute quarters? So that's a goal per minute.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

I'm not sure how long it is, but today Oceanic was broadcasting some women's college matches on TV. This was from UH's pool; UH's women are in the Big West Conference, and I think the Big West is having a league tourney at UH's pool. For a while, I was watching the match between UCSD and UCI. (That's the University of California at San Diego, vs the University of California at Irvine.) The two teams were closely ranked, and they kept trading goals. Later, a match between Long Beach State and another team was broadcast. OC16 should broadcast some high school matches. They did, some 3 years ago.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:06 pm @ChadFukuoka:

I'm not sure how long it is, but today Oceanic was broadcasting some women's college matches on TV. This was from UH's pool; UH's women are in the Big West Conference, and I think the Big West is having a league tourney at UH's pool. For a while, I was watching the match between UCSD and UCI. (That's the University of California at San Diego, vs the University of California at Irvine.) The two teams were closely ranked, and they kept trading goals. Later, a match between Long Beach State and another team was broadcast. OC16 should broadcast some high school matches. They did, some 3 years ago.
This is a big weekend for UH sports. The men's volleyball team is also competing for the Big West conference championship this weekend.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

That's right. Something tells me UH's men won't repeat as national champs. The competition seems even tougher than it was last year. Plus, UH isn't ranked #1 or #2 anymore.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:13 pm I normally don't post about neighbor-island schools, but I was struck by the wild score from Maui: Baldwin 17, Seabury Hall 15. I mean, that match must have been wild to watch. Talk about a shootout; and it was close. Nothing that was that high-scoring and close here on Oahu.
Baldwin's girls must have been defecating bricks in the water. Baldwin is 9-1, while Seabury Hall is 2-8, so the match shouldn't have been that close, you'd think. Baldwin's one loss came against Lahainaluna.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Lahainaluna defeated Baldwin 18-17 today, in an even higher scoring game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Yes; I saw that score on ScoringLive. I'd bet Baldwin alumni are pissed about it. Both of Baldwin's losses are to Lahainaluna, and look at how close this last match was.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

There was a huge write-up in today's Star-Advertiser about Roosevelt's senior twins, Maya and Kaya Uchimura. I mean, 2 color photos of them, and a story on the front of the Sports page that continued onto the next page. Roosevelt took the OIA title this year. But, I don't think they'll get past Punahou in States. I mean, I'd like them to, but it almost certainly won't happen, unfortunately.