Girls' Water Polo '22

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Girls' Water Polo '22

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

On an impulse, I started this thread. What inspired me to start it was that, though Mid-Pac lost to Punahou today, they still scored 8 goals against the Puns (Punahou won, 13-8). Punahou has dominated girls' water polo for many years. I'm thinking, if Mid-Pac can score 8 goals against Punahou, how many could Kamehameha or Iolani score against them? I don't know how far this thread will go; I don't know how many of you guys are into water polo. To be honest, I don't know much about the sport myself, other than that it's basically soccer in a pool. I'll just blame Mid-Pac's team for causing me to start this thread by having such a strong showing on O against Punahou! :) Of course, there's OIA girls' water polo as well. Again, I started this thread on a whim; I was impressed that Mid-Pac scored 8 goals on Punahou. That couldn't have been easy, as Punahou is a powerhouse in girls' water polo. We'll see what the rest of the season holds, in both the ILH and the OIA. I think the ILH began just today, and that the OIA will follow in a couple of weeks or so. We'll see if this thread gets any traction. There are a whole bunch of schools total in the ILH and OIA that play water polo. If guys like a certain school, or just want to put in a plug for their alma mater, let it begin. Once the OIA gets rolling in a couple of weeks, there'll be more schools to post about. Unlike the baseball thread I started, this time I made sure to include the year in this thread.

@ChadFukuoka:

I don't think Aiea has a team; I don't know why. That sucks.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Girls' Water Polo '22

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:41 pm On an impulse, I started this thread. What inspired me to start it was that, though Mid-Pac lost to Punahou today, they still scored 8 goals against the Puns (Punahou won, 13-8). Punahou has dominated girls' water polo for many years. I'm thinking, if Mid-Pac can score 8 goals against Punahou, how many could Kamehameha or Iolani score against them? I don't know how far this thread will go; I don't know how many of you guys are into water polo. To be honest, I don't know much about the sport myself, other than that it's basically soccer in a pool. I'll just blame Mid-Pac's team for causing me to start this thread by having such a strong showing on O against Punahou! :) Of course, there's OIA girls' water polo as well. Again, I started this thread on a whim; I was impressed that Mid-Pac scored 8 goals on Punahou. That couldn't have been easy, as Punahou is a powerhouse in girls' water polo. We'll see what the rest of the season holds, in both the ILH and the OIA. I think the ILH began just today, and that the OIA will follow in a couple of weeks or so. We'll see if this thread gets any traction. There are a whole bunch of schools total in the ILH and OIA that play water polo. If guys like a certain school, or just want to put in a plug for their alma mater, let it begin. Once the OIA gets rolling in a couple of weeks, there'll be more schools to post about. Unlike the baseball thread I started, this time I made sure to include the year in this thread.

@ChadFukuoka:

I don't think Aiea has a team; I don't know why. That sucks.
Aiea did have a team when I attended from fall 2003-spring 2007. Maybe they discontinued it because of low participation? I also believe water polo is only a girl's sport?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, right now there's only girls' water polo. Aiea doesn't have a team now, so yeah, probably low interest/participation, not enough girls came-out for the team, etc. So, that sucks for Aiea High. I mean, imagine how Aiea's coach feels. But, even as I'm posting, Aiea's softball team is kicking Kaimuki's butts, 17-0, in the 4th inning. If the Bulldogs don't come-up with 8 runs by the 5th, they'll be mercy-ruled.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Whoops. Kaimuki couldn't manufacture any runs, so that's a final: Aiea 17, Kaimuki 0, 5-inning mercy-rule. What can anyone say? It is what it is. Obviously, Kaimuki alumni aren't thrilled.

SportsMom
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SportsMom »

There's very little information on water polo aside from ILH. Kailua posted 1st practice the day of the practice. Most ILH teams have pools and run a club program as well as the high school program. YMCA runs some water polo activities in some of the pools but not all. Few public pools don't have water polo programs. Kaiser HS did well last year-and Oahu Country Club (nearby) runs a club program. I think we'd see more if more girls were able to participate. Closest pool to Kailua HS- at youth correctional facility is perhaps broken-I've heard they used to practice there. OIA very hit or miss with schools not fully resourced.

SportsMom
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SportsMom »

There's very little information on water polo aside from ILH. Kailua posted 1st practice the day of the practice. Most ILH teams have pools and run a club program as well as the high school program. YMCA runs some water polo activities in some of the pools but not all. Few public pools don't have water polo programs. Kaiser HS did well last year-and Oahu Country Club (nearby) runs a club program. I think we'd see more if more girls were able to participate. Closest pool to Kailua HS- at youth correctional facility is perhaps broken-I've heard they used to practice there. OIA very hit or miss with schools not fully resourced. Ran into this thread while trying to find out if spectators allowed at OIA games.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

SportsMom wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:42 am There's very little information on water polo aside from ILH. Kailua posted 1st practice the day of the practice. Most ILH teams have pools and run a club program as well as the high school program. YMCA runs some water polo activities in some of the pools but not all. Few public pools don't have water polo programs. Kaiser HS did well last year-and Oahu Country Club (nearby) runs a club program. I think we'd see more if more girls were able to participate. Closest pool to Kailua HS- at youth correctional facility is perhaps broken-I've heard they used to practice there. OIA very hit or miss with schools not fully resourced.
@SportsMom:

Hey, so nice to have a lady on this message-board! (Hope that doesn't sound sexist. :)) Yeah, I think most if not all of the ILH schools have pools, but only a few of the OIA schools do. And, some OIA schools don't even have teams, like Aiea. And yeah, Kailua High doesn't have a pool. From what I understand, the OIA schools that don't have pools, practice at the nearest public rec center. Yes, I remember Kaiser High did pretty well in water polo last year; in fact, didn't they make it to States? Well, at least Kailua has a team; could have been worse. By the way, they had a match today against Mililani; wonder how they did. The match was at Veteran's Memorial.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@SportsMom:

Just found-out Kailua forfeited the match, which of course counts as a loss. Not enough girls available today, perhaps?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

You guys saw how Kamehameha - Hawaii is kicking butt on the Big Island? They beat Keaau, 15-0, and Hilo, 21-5. What's up with that? I normally don't post about outer-island schools, but I was struck by how the Warriors on the Big Island are kicking butt.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:20 pm You guys saw how Kamehameha - Hawaii is kicking butt on the Big Island? They beat Keaau, 15-0, and Hilo, 21-5. What's up with that? I normally don't post about outer-island schools, but I was struck by how the Warriors on the Big Island are kicking butt.
Also, both Keaau and Hilo aren't super small schools either. The Bis Island has historically had trouble in a lot of sports with smaller schools getting blown out. So Kamehemeha Hawaii is dominating water polo against the bigger schools as well.

I remember seeing smaller schools, and their football teams and girls basketball teams losing to Konawaena, Hilo by crazy margins. Things like Konawaena beating Kau 90-8 in football, Hilo 104-0 over Waiakea, or Konawaena girls basketball beating teams by 70, 80, 90 points in league play.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, I remember that 104-0 Hilo win over Waiakea. Wasn't that just two or three years ago? If you ask me, the Waiakea HC was lame not to forfeit at some point. Once the score reached 80, he should have forfeited. Why embarrass the school and its alumni like that?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:14 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, I remember that 104-0 Hilo win over Waiakea. Wasn't that just two or three years ago? If you ask me, the Waiakea HC was lame not to forfeit at some point. Once the score reached 80, he should have forfeited. Why embarrass the school and its alumni like that?
Maybe Waiakea thought it would be more embarrassing to forfeit, than to play out the game. What's bad about these blowout games is the media attention it receives. The game was mentioned a lot on the sports highlights on several news stations, and on the radio. The score was something like 84-0 at the half. I think Waiakea had 10 turnovers.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

If that was the score at the half, I think the Waiakea HC should have conceded the game right then and there, just before the half ended. Is it more embarrassing to lose 84-0, or 104-0? Perhaps the Waiakea HC wanted the Warriors to at least get on the scoreboard during the 2nd half, but they didn't. Also, did the Hilo HC at least put-in his reserves sometime during the 2nd qrtr?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:15 pm @ChadFukuoka:

If that was the score at the half, I think the Waiakea HC should have conceded the game right then and there, just before the half ended. Is it more embarrassing to lose 84-0, or 104-0? Perhaps the Waiakea HC wanted the Warriors to at least get on the scoreboard during the 2nd half, but they didn't. Also, did the Hilo HC at least put-in his reserves sometime during the 2nd qrtr?
I've never seen or heard of a coach forfeiting because the score is out of hand. I think there's kind of an unwritten rule that you don't quit just because the score is really bad. It goes against coaches telling their players to play hard, and the values they are trying to teach. Just my perspective on this.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

OK, I get that. But, as you said in an earlier post, blowout scores like 104-0 get extensive media attention. Yes, it's important to teach teens not to quit, but it's also important to teach them that under certain conditions, it is simply wiser to fold. In early-'79, there was a hit song, "The Gambler", by Kenny Rogers. In it, there's a line: "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em..." There's also a famous saying: "Discretion is the better part of valor". I mean, when your school's down 84-0 at the half, I think an HC has to concede for the good of the school and its alumni. You don't want to be stubborn to a fault. I'm curious how many Waiakea alumni support the decision to play-on, only to lose, 104-0. I mean, that game was notorious. I had heard about it, despite being on Oahu and not having much interest in outer-island high school sports. I mean, things like that get around. HCs have to weigh the costs and benefits.