Baseball

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Baseball

Post by gopunahou »

I think Kailua might have the best and most consistent history out of all OIA teams. They feel like a state tournament mainstay. We’ve beaten them a couple of times in state championship games.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou:

You might very well be right, although Mililani might have something to say about that. Pearl City has been pretty decent over the years, too.
But, as far as this year's D1 State tourney is concerned, the question is: Might Kailua run out of pitching?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Congrats to Pearl City on winning their first ever boys volleyball title, over Seabury Hall in 4 sets. Apparently, this D2 title is the first boys volleyball title, either D1 or D2, for an OIA school since 1979 (when Roosevelt won). It was mentioned on Scoring Live.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, from the early-'80s to the present, Punahou has pretty-much dominated boys' volleyball. Once classification began, obviously the other private schools went-on to dominate D2. I'm glad Pearl City won, as I prefer that school to Seabury Hall School.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Congrats to Punahou on winning the boys and girls state tennis team titles.

Congrats to Moanalua on winning the state boys and girls team judo titles.

Congrats to Punahou on winning the state girls golf team title.
Last edited by ChadFukuoka on Sat May 07, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Those judo titles Moanalua won, are they OIA titles or State titles?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Kailua alumni must be pissed about the baseball team's 17-5 loss to Baldwin last night. As I thought might happen, Kailua apparently ran-out of pitching, surrendering 17 hits.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:04 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Those judo titles Moanalua won, are they OIA titles or State titles?
State titles. I edited my previous post to show that. I don't follow judo or even know the rules. I remember when I was in high school, Roosevelt and Pearl City were also good at judo. I'm not sure how both schools are doing now.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

If those are State titles, Moanalua has shown that judo is one sport in which they can kick Punahou's butts. And, Moanalua has been good in judo for at least several years. Meanwhile, Pearl City has been good in judo for at least 4 decades.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Congrats to Punahou on winning the boys volleyball state D1 title over Moanalua.

Congrats to Waiakea on winning the state D1 baseball title over Baldwin 3-2.

Congrats to Damien on winning the state D2 baseball title over Waimea 10-5. Damien's record is quite deceiving, they entered the tournament only at 2-12, and finished at 5-12, but that is due to them mostly playing D1 teams in ILH regular season play. Almost all of their opponents were in a division higher than them.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:37 pm Congrats to Punahou on winning the boys volleyball state D1 title over Moanalua.

Congrats to Waiakea on winning the state D1 baseball title over Baldwin 3-2.

Congrats to Damien on winning the state D2 baseball title over Waimea 10-5. Damien's record is quite deceiving, they entered the tournament only at 2-12, and finished at 5-12, but that is due to them mostly playing D1 teams in ILH regular season play. Almost all of their opponents were in a division higher than them.
I think playing the big boys of the ILH sharpened Damien and gave them a valuable edge.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If people are hoping to see an OIA school take home a state championship, next week is the week. OIA teams have won the majority of softball titles.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:37 pm @ChadFukuoka:

If those are State titles, Moanalua has shown that judo is one sport in which they can kick Punahou's butts. And, Moanalua has been good in judo for at least several years. Meanwhile, Pearl City has been good in judo for at least 4 decades.
Well, at least Pearl City's boys have been good. Don't know about the girls; they didn't place in the Top 10. The boys placed 5th.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:54 pm If people are hoping to see an OIA school take home a state championship, next week is the week. OIA teams have won the majority of softball titles.
@gopunahou:

Well, Iolani is now ranked tied for #1. As a Punahou alumnus, you probably don't want to hear that. I don't care for Iolani School either, so I'm not thrilled. Anyway, there's a chance Iolani might take the D1 State title. Maryknoll is also in the D1 Tourney; I don't really want to see them win it, either, though I'd rather they win it than Iolani. There are 3 OIA schools in the D1 Tourney that I think can beat Iolani: Kapolei, Mililani, and Campbell. We'll see what happens.

Go Hurricanes
Go Trojans
Go Sabers

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

In the D1 State softball tourney, Campbell beat Maui High, 3-1. If Campbell is to have any hope of beating Iolani, they're going to have to do better than that. And, Campbell's 3 runs were aided by 4 Maui High errors. They're going to have to do better. They're going to have to swing the bat better, specifically.

Meanwhile, also in D1, Mililani run-ruled Kalani, 13-3. At the moment, Mililani is looking very much like an Iolani - beater. They produced 15 hits and committed only 1 error. In this game, Mililani showed hitting, pitching (surrendering 3 runs on 2 hits), and D.