Baseball

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
BowTow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Baseball

Post by BowTow »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:08 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:40 pm Anybody watching that crazy OIA D2 softball championship game? It's the Bottom 6th, and the score is crazy: Waipahu 21, Nanakuli 14. The hits garnered by each school doesn't make sense: Nanakuli has had 14 hits, just one fewer than Waipahu's 15, yet they're behind by 7 runs. You might think it's because Nanakuli made a lot of errors, but, no: While Nanakuli has committed 3 errors thus far, Waipahu has committed 7. Finally, Nanakuli has thus far hit 3 HRs, while Waipahu has thus far hit 1. How is any of all that supposed to make sense, given the score?
That's a final: Waipahu 21, Nanakuli 14. Waipahu ended-up with 16 hits, to Nanakuli's 14. Nanakuli's consolation, of course, is that they're still going to D2 States.
The Nanakuli centerfielder has a gun but I noticed she doesn't bat. I didn't know softball DH for non-pitching positions.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@BowTow:

Well, in any case, she and her teammates will have a chance to redeem themselves in D2 States.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Also, did you notice that Nanakuli's girls didn't have visors? What's up with that? That's the only school I've seen that doesn't use visors at all.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Wellp. The first game of the D1 State Baseball tourney on Maui, is in the history books. Pearl City beat Moanalua, 4-1. Pearl City no-hit Moanalua, too, so Moanalua's run was unearned. Moanalua doesn't suck; no school in a State tourney sucks, right? So, Pearl City pitching did a kick-butt job. It probably would have been better if Pearl City had saved those pitchers (there were two) for their next game, which is against St Louis. (Pearl City lifted their starter Agoto, because of pitch-count.) But, if Pearl City had used other pitchers, perhaps Moanalua might have been able to beat them. That's the quandary every coach faces, right? Pearl City plays St Louis tomorrow. I'd prefer to see Pearl City win, but it's probably not going to happen, right? Unless St Louis starts a pretty weak pitcher, but why would they do that? Perhaps St Louis can underestimate Pearl City, and the Chargers can jump all over that starter. But, again, fat chance. The Saints would likewise jump all over the Chargers' starter.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:43 pm Wellp. The first game of the D1 State Baseball tourney on Maui, is in the history books. Pearl City beat Moanalua, 4-1. Pearl City no-hit Moanalua, too, so Moanalua's run was unearned. Moanalua doesn't suck; no school in a State tourney sucks, right? So, Pearl City pitching did a kick-butt job. It probably would have been better if Pearl City had saved those pitchers (there were two) for their next game, which is against St Louis. (Pearl City lifted their starter Agoto, because of pitch-count.) But, if Pearl City had used other pitchers, perhaps Moanalua might have been able to beat them. That's the quandary every coach faces, right? Pearl City plays St Louis tomorrow. I'd prefer to see Pearl City win, but it's probably not going to happen, right? Unless St Louis starts a pretty weak pitcher, but why would they do that? Perhaps St Louis can underestimate Pearl City, and the Chargers can jump all over that starter. But, again, fat chance. The Saints would likewise jump all over the Chargers' starter.
Unfortunately for you, Kamehemeha lost to Hilo 6-5, in 8 innings.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Yes; that's sports.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:30 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Yes; that's sports.
It might make you feel better that Kailua defeated Iolani 9-5.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:24 pm

Yes; that's sports.
@ChadFukuoka:

Yes, it does. That's definitely an upset, and that's reflected in my surprise. Even if Kailua had won by only 1 run, I'd consider that an upset. As for Kamehameha, they blew a 5-2 lead. That's happened more than a few times (blowing a fairly good lead) during the regular season. But, I guess it's a good thing that they took the game to extra innings and lost by only 1 run, though again, a loss is a loss. If I'm not mistaken, if a school loses the first game of a State tourney, that school is done. So, both the Warriors and the Raiders will hop a jetliner home, and during the short trip, they'll have time to mull their respective seasons. It sucks most, of course, for the seniors on each team.

But really, Kailua alumni must be amped. They must be just as surprised as I am. I think that in many ways, Kailua's team is just like Kamehameha's: Very inconsistent. They can be very good in some games, and surprisingly sucky in other games. You never know "which team" will show-up at any given game. Luckily for Kailua alumni, the very good Kailua team showed-up against Iolani. I mean, think about it: St Louis is the best or second-best school in the tournament, yet they beat Iolani by only 1 run for the ILH title, and needed an extra inning to do it.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed May 04, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:41 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:24 pm

Yes; that's sports.
@ChadFukuoka:

Yes, it does. That's definitely an upset, and that's reflected in my surprise. Even if Kailua had won by only 1 run, I'd consider that an upset. As for Kamehameha, they blew a 5-2 lead. That's happened more than a few times (blowing a fairly good lead) during the regular season. But, I guess it's a good thing that they took the game to extra innings, though again, a loss is a loss. If I'm not mistaken, if a school loses the first game of a State tourney, that school is done. So, both the Warriors and the Raiders will hop a jetliner home, and during the short trip, they'll have time to mull their respective seasons. It sucks most, of course, for the seniors on each team.

But really, Kailua alumni must be amped. They must be just as surprised as I am.
The losers of the first round games play in the consolation bracket. They can no longer win the state tourney. The best they can do is win the consolation final. You'd have to think the players don't really care too much about those games.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Oh. In the State tourneys for some of the other sports, aren't you one-and-done if you lose the first game/match? Well, on the contrary, the Warriors and the Raiders might be happy to continue their trip to Maui, and play more games. And, you'd think they'll be more loose, as the pressure to win the State title is now off. Now they can play just for the love of the game, and let the chips fall where they may. Perhaps they might even do some sightseeing between games.

Even if Kamehameha had won, they would have had to play Baldwin, the top-seeded school in the tourney. They're ranked ahead of even St Louis. Kamehameha would almost certainly have lost, just as Hilo will now probably lose to them.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:53 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Oh. In the State tourneys for some of the other sports, aren't you one-and-done if you lose the first game/match? Well, on the contrary, the Warriors and the Raiders might be happy to continue their trip to Maui, and play more games. And, you'd think they'll be more loose, as the pressure to win the State title is now off. Now they can play just for the love of the game, and let the chips fall where they may. Perhaps they might even do some sightseeing between games.

Even if Kamehameha had won, they would have had to play Baldwin, the top-seeded school in the tourney. They're ranked ahead of even St Louis. Kamehameha would almost certainly have lost, just as Hilo will now probably lose to them.
Depending on the sport and level (D1 or D2), some tournaments have consolation games. In the D1 boys volleyball, the first round losers are out. The losers of the upcoming quarterfinal games still play in the consolation rounds afterwards. So in this case, only some of the teams make it to consolation. Usually D2 tends to have less teams, so everyone keeps playing after the opening game (either in the winner's side for the title, or the loser's side for consolation). In the girls water polo, the first round losers are immediately out, but the quarterfinal losers play in consolation.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Well, Kamehameha alumni might certainly be pissed about Hilo beating Kamehameha yesterday. But, if it's any consolation, at least Kamehameha is in both the boys' volleyball and girls' water polo D1 State tourneys. (I don't know if there's a D2 State girls' water polo tourney.) And, Hilo isn't in either one. Furthermore, Hilo's baseball team plays top-seeded Baldwin tonight. I'd have to believe that Hilo will likely lose that game. Even if Kamehameha had beaten Hilo, they would probably lose to Baldwin, too. Just the same, I think Kamehameha gave the game to Hilo by committing 5 errors. When a school loses by just 1 run and commits 5 errors, I have to believe that those errors directly resulted in the loss. Errors are what have haunted the Warriors for some 3 decades. What can you say? It is what it is. Some things never change.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:19 pm Well, Kamehameha alumni might certainly be pissed about Hilo beating Kamehameha yesterday. But, if it's any consolation, at least Kamehameha is in both the boys' volleyball and girls' water polo D1 State tourneys. (I don't know if there's a D2 State girls' water polo tourney.) And, Hilo isn't in either one. Furthermore, Hilo's baseball team plays top-seeded Baldwin tonight. I'd have to believe that Hilo will likely lose that game. Even if Kamehameha had beaten Hilo, they would probably lose to Baldwin, too. Just the same, I think Kamehameha gave the game to Hilo by committing 5 errors. When a school loses by just 1 run and commits 5 errors, I have to believe that those errors directly resulted in the loss. Errors are what have haunted the Warriors for some 3 decades. What can you say? It is what it is. Some things never change.
Girls water polo only has one state championship, there aren't a lot of schools who participate in it. Water polo seems like a sport that isn't easy to get into during your youth, it requires a larger sized pool, and it's a niche sport that isn't on a lot of people's minds. Not a ton of kids have parents who are even familiar with the rules, much less played the sport growing up. At least other sports that may be expensive to get into, like golf or tennis, are more mainstream.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, water polo is essentially soccer in a pool, and look at how popular soccer is. Is it really that far out of the mainstream? ScoringLive covers it, too. As a UH alumnus, I'm hoping that perhaps the senior girls from Oahu's high school teams might consider going to UH and trying-out for their water polo team. Get the Mountain West title back from UC - Irvine. UH was ranked above them; next year presents an opportunity to take-back the title.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Kailua is making a big splash in the D1 State baseball tourney. First they beat Iolani on Wednesday, then they beat Mililani today. I consider both wins, upsets. Do they have that many good pitchers, or have they simply been lucky? They've been hitting the ball, that's for sure. And, what's amazing is that they held Mililani to one hit. Mililani is the OIA champ, and Kailua wasn't even in that title game; Pearl City was.