Baseball

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Baseball

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Well, it had to happen eventually, right? High school baseball is upon us, and the first regular-season games were today. There were seven OIA games, but two scores surprised me.
The first score that surprised me was: Roosevelt 5, Kaiser 4. Obviously, this was a close game, but I'm kind of surprised that Kaiser didn't pull it out. Not that Roosevelt sucks in baseball; they're usually pretty decent in that sport. But, I think Kaiser has a stronger track-record in baseball. (Isn't that odd, using a track metaphor to talk about baseball?) Didn't pan-out for them today, though.
I was really surprised by the other score: Nanakuli 10, Radford 2. I was surprised not only by which school won, but also the margin of victory. I mean, I think most us who follow high school baseball would agree that Nanakuli usually kind of sucks in that sport, while Radford has been pretty good the past two seasons, albeit this was probably a D2 game. But, I think most guys who follow high school baseball would agree that Nanakuli almost never beats Radford, especially by 8 runs. But, it happened; what can you say? Congrats, Golden Hawks.

I had mixed feelings about starting this thread, because a school I don't particularly like, will probably be D1 State champs. But, the temptation was too much to resist. Hopefully I'll like better whichever school becomes D2 State champs.

I hope I don't regret starting this thread. But, in life you sometimes have to just take the leap, right? I'm surprised no one else started a baseball thread, given that there were seven games to start the regular season today. That's fourteen sets of alumni, and of course, you didn't have to be an alumnus of any of those fourteen schools, to start the thread. Guess I just felt compelled to step-up to the plate, pardon the baseball pun!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Baseball

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:37 pm Well, it had to happen eventually, right? High school baseball is upon us, and the first regular-season games were today. There were seven OIA games, but two scores surprised me.
The first score that surprised me was: Roosevelt 5, Kaiser 4. Obviously, this was a close game, but I'm kind of surprised that Kaiser didn't pull it out. Not that Roosevelt sucks in baseball; they're usually pretty decent in that sport. But, I think Kaiser has a stronger track-record in baseball. (Isn't that odd, using a track metaphor to talk about baseball?) Didn't pan-out for them today, though.
I was really surprised by the other score: Nanakuli 10, Radford 2. I was surprised not only by which school won, but also the margin of victory. I mean, I think most us who follow high school baseball would agree that Nanakuli usually kind of sucks in that sport, while Radford has been pretty good the past two seasons, albeit this was probably a D2 game. But, I think most guys who follow high school baseball would agree that Nanakuli almost never beats Radford, especially by 8 runs. But, it happened; what can you say? Congrats, Golden Hawks.

I had mixed feelings about starting this thread, because a school I don't particularly like, will probably be D1 State champs. But, the temptation was too much to resist. Hopefully I'll like better whichever school becomes D2 State champs.

I hope I don't regret starting this thread. But, in life you sometimes have to just take the leap, right? I'm surprised no one else started a baseball thread, given that there were seven games to start the regular season today. That's fourteen sets of alumni, and of course, you didn't have to be an alumnus of any of those fourteen schools, to start the thread. Guess I just felt compelled to step-up to the plate, pardon the baseball pun!
I'm guessing you're thinking of Punahou as D1 state champs. Aiea used to be good as baseball when I was there, but not sure how they are doing now.

Since you created this thread, you might want to change the title to 2022 baseball. Every year, a new thread will be created, assuming there's enough interest.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Actually, I'm thinking of St Louis as D1 state champs. Though, I'd rather have them than Punahou. And, yes, Aiea used to be really good in baseball, at least back in the mid-'70s, when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be kicking butt this year. Not saying they'll suck, but I don't think they'll have one of the better teams, either.

Oh, yeah; let me try changing the title of this thread.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:11 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Actually, I'm thinking of St Louis as D1 state champs. Though, I'd rather have them than Punahou. And, yes, Aiea used to be really good in baseball, at least back in the mid-'70s, when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be kicking butt this year. Not saying they'll suck, but I don't think they'll have one of the better teams, either.

If that's the case, St Louis will be good at all 3 of the big sports this season. Football (state runner-ups), basketball (state champs), and now you're saying a title contender for baseball. Usually, they've been dominant mainly in football.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:
I tried; I don't think there's any way to change the title. Guess next year, whoever starts that year's topic will have to start it as, "Baseball '22-'23", or something like that. That's if we're still around next year. If Putin starts a nuclear war with us, the US and Russia might simply vaporize each other.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:17 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:11 pm @ChadFukuoka:

If that's the case, St Louis will be good at all 3 of the big sports this season. Football (state runner-ups), basketball (state champs), and now you're saying a title contender for baseball. Usually, they've been dominant mainly in football.
@ChadFukuoka:

That's exactly it; you've hit the nail on the head. And, I don't particularly care for that school. That's why I'm kind of apprehensive about this baseball season. Perhaps I should focus more on the D2 race. By the way: Is Aiea in D1 or D2? I have no idea.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:18 pm @ChadFukuoka:
I tried; I don't think there's any way to change the title. Guess next year, whoever starts that year's topic will have to start it as, "Baseball '22-'23", or something like that. That's if we're still around next year. If Putin starts a nuclear war with us, the US and Russia might simply vaporize each other.
Your post reminds me of an obscure one hit wonder, In The Year 2525, by Zager and Evans. I only know of this song, way before my time, because I used to know someone really into sci fi dystopian type movies, and apparently this song caught his attention. I think it came out in the late 60's or early 70's, so maybe you heard it as a child or teenager. Whenever someone mentions mankind wiping out the planet, nuclear war, end of the world, etc, this song immediately pops into my head.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Holy crap. Yes, as an old guy in his 60s, I do remember that tune; I grew-up with it. It was very popular at the time; back then it wasn't obscure at all. It was on Top 40 radio very often. If memory serves me correctly, it came-out in the summer of '69. That year saw many great tunes, believe me. As I recall, though, it wasn't so much about nuclear war, as about man creating so many devices of convenience that he has to do nothing physical, so his body and limbs eventually atrophy. But yes, the tune did definitely have a dystopian theme. Thanks for taking me back to a happier, more innocent time of my youth.

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:38 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Holy crap. Yes, as an old guy in his 60s, I do remember that tune; I grew-up with it. It was very popular at the time; back then it wasn't obscure at all. It was on Top 40 radio very often. If memory serves me correctly, it came-out in the summer of '69. That year saw many great tunes, believe me. As I recall, though, it wasn't so much about nuclear war, as about man creating so many devices of convenience that he has to do nothing physical, so his body and limbs eventually atrophy. But yes, the tune did definitely have a dystopian theme. Thanks for taking me back to a happier, more innocent time of my youth.
I had the 45

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@BowTow:

Yeah, I was buying 45s back then, too, like all guys about my (our?) age. But, I never bought that one; I didn't like it enough.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Whoever follows HS baseball here likely hopes we don’t win (unless they are a Punahou fan). Not only did we win the most recent baseball state championship, we’ve won the most state titles. Our run from 2004 to 2010 gave a lot of HS baseball followers a reason to hate us.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

Well, as you know, yes, I'm one of them. But, we can't be sure that everyone who's not a Punahou alumnus, doesn't like Punahou School. And, yes, the biggest reason I dislike Punahou School is that they seem to win the most titles--from many sports--every year. I've shared this several times over the years: A former colleague of mine who's an '88 Mililani alumnus said he hates Punahou (School) because "they win too much" (his exact words, inside the quotation marks). But, speaking for myself, I wouldn't say I hate Punahou School. I mean, I definitely dislike them, but I don't hate them; that's a high school. (Well, they're actually K-12, but of course it's their 8th-to-12th graders that are winning all those titles. I'm including the 8th-graders because they might be involved in the intermediate sports. ILH has vars, JV, and intermediate, right?) I don't know how someone can hate teenage kids; there's something disturbing about that. I mean, they're kids.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:31 pm Whoever follows HS baseball here likely hopes we don’t win (unless they are a Punahou fan). Not only did we win the most recent baseball state championship, we’ve won the most state titles. Our run from 2004 to 2010 gave a lot of HS baseball followers a reason to hate us.
Off topic, but I figured I'd ask you. Punahou has won the most overall state championships, across all sports, not just in Hawaii athletics, but I believe it's also a national record as well. Where do you see Punahou athletics stacking up against the elite mainland programs? You've mentioned you're also a fan of Mater Dei HS in California. How would Punahou compare against them for example? I know it's kind of hard to compare programs in different states, since they don't play each other, or aren't in the same leagues. I was just wondering about your thoughts on this, since you do follow an elite athletic program that's in the national spotlight.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:17 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:31 pm Whoever follows HS baseball here likely hopes we don’t win (unless they are a Punahou fan). Not only did we win the most recent baseball state championship, we’ve won the most state titles. Our run from 2004 to 2010 gave a lot of HS baseball followers a reason to hate us.
Off topic, but I figured I'd ask you. Punahou has won the most overall state championships, across all sports, not just in Hawaii athletics, but I believe it's also a national record as well. Where do you see Punahou athletics stacking up against the elite mainland programs? You've mentioned you're also a fan of Mater Dei HS in California. How would Punahou compare against them for example? I know it's kind of hard to compare programs in different states, since they don't play each other, or aren't in the same leagues. I was just wondering about your thoughts on this, since you do follow an elite athletic program that's in the national spotlight.
I think Mater Dei faces better competition since teams are much more plentiful in California than they are here. We've played Mater Dei in girls volleyball a bunch of times in the Ann Kang Invitational IIRC. That's the only sport I can remember Mater Dei and Punahou meeting in. I also know for a fact that their boys basketball team would destroy us if we played them. But their situation is much different than ours, being that their ability to schedule top-notch teams not only in California but also across the nation is better than ours in every sport. Scheduling top-notch mainland teams is a much greater challenge for us since Mater Dei is a mainland team.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

Didn't St. Louis win the 2021 State championship?