Baseball

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Baseball

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:26 pm Holy crap. Did you guys see the softball score between Roosevelt and Campbell? Campbell 27, Roosevelt 0. No, that's not a typo. The game ended just a few minutes ago, in the 4th. I guess Roosevelt's HC said, "OK; we're done." Game didn't go to the 5th. Campbell had 22 hits, while Roosevelt had 7 errors. Those two stats explain the score. Roosevelt alumni watching the game must have been pissed. I mean, it must have been like a slow-motion train wreck.
I'm pretty sure there is a mercy rule for softball and baseball. I think once a team leads by 10 runs or more, the game can be ended after 3 innings for softball, and 5 innings for baseball. I guess both coaches can also agree to end the game earlier. There have been several softball games this year where a team has won by more than 20 runs. Also, because in softball, usually one pitcher pitches the whole game, if they are struggling, the score can get out of hand much quicker. There aren't really relief pitchers like in baseball.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka:

Yes, there is a mercy rule in softball. But, I'd assume the game is supposed to go 5 innings. I guess Roosevelt's HC had seen enough, and simply conceded the game in the 4th. Also, softball pitchers can be replaced just as readily as baseball pitchers. After all, both games go 7 innings. But, I'd agree that most schools don't have as many softball pitchers as they do baseball pitchers. I'd say most schools might have 2 softball pitchers, while some schools might have as many as 9 baseball pitchers.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BowTow wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:20 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:32 pm @BowTow:

Well, Kamehameha has better hitting, and they're pitching their ace, Kiakona. Don't know if Iolani's ace, Zacary Tenn, is still out on injury, but he's not pitching tonight. In D1 softball, Iolani beat Kamehameha today, 5-3. If I'm not mistaken, that loss ends Kamehameha's season. If Kamehameha's baseball team can beat Iolani, that would be nice revenge for the softball girls, though of course today's loss still sucks for the girls, no matter what. But, certainly Kamehameha alumni would appreciate it. And, unlike the softball game, this baseball game is on TV, for the entire state to watch. But, win or lose, Iolani's baseball team is going to D1 States.
Actually it is younger brother Alakai, and I believe it's his first time pitching all year. Not sure why you feel Kaena is the ace, his record is only 2-2, but his era is a good 2.14. Paragas is 4-1, Waikiki is 3-1, and Hanawahine is 2-1. Both Waikiki and Hanawahine pitched in relief tonight but both were not very good. All Kamehameha's pitchers had problems with their control tonight.

Good pitching wins again. Iolani's last 3 pitchers gave up only 1 hit in the last 4 innings.

Do it again on Wednesday. I give the edge to Kamehameha. I doubt their pitching will be that terrible again. But we'll see. That's why we play the game.
@BowTow:

Wellp. Kamehameha lost. Again. For the second straight time. And this time, they lost by more than they did on Monday. This time, I agree with the coaches' decision to start Paragas. He had beaten Iolani the last time they played during the regular season. Unfortunately, he surrendered some 9 hits; five more than Iolani did. Also, Kamehameha had 2 errors, which isn't bad, but Iolani had none. So yes, Kamehameha's pitching wasn't terrible, but it was nowhere good enough to win today. While Paragas held them scoreless the last time they played during regular season, this time he surrendered 6 runs. What can you do? All Kamehameha can do now is hope they'll do better in D1 States. But really, they should not have lost on Monday. With the right choice of pitcher(s), they definitely would have held Iolani to under 13 runs, no doubt. It's really too bad that all Kamehameha fans are left with right now is, "woulda, coulda, shoulda". Sucky and disappointing.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Don't know if ScoringLive staff will see this, but I'd like to thank them for not posting features about Iolani's baseball and softball wins yesterday. I wouldn't have even clicked on them, but I appreciate not having to see them at all. I bought today's paper, but I refuse to even look at the Sports section.

@ChadFukuoka:

Unlike Kamehameha's softball team, whose season is over, at least Aiea's softball team is alive and well. In fact, right now they're kicking Kahuku's butts 16-2, and it's only the 3rd inning. I'd be glad to watch Aiea win, but I'd really rather not see Iolani win. Too bad they're in different divisions. The way Aiea is winning, I'd like to assume they'll qualify for D2 States, if they haven't already.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone for allowing me to whine and be sullen here; I appreciate it. What I've discovered is that posting on this website has therapeutic value when schools I like, lose, and schools I dislike, win. It's so hard to live-down. But, somehow it seems to help me cope with the funk I'm in at such times. Of course, it doesn't change a darned thing on the ground, but just the act of posting seems to help a little.

@ChadFukuoka:

Final score was Aiea 25, Kahuku 4, 5-inning mercy rule. Wow. It's hard to imagine Kahuku getting whipped like that, when their football team kicks butt every year. Goes to show how a school's football team can burnish that school's athletic image. But of course, just because a school kicks butt in one sport, doesn't mean it kicks butt in all. In some sports, it might be the buttkickee.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

St Louis and Iolani play for the overall ILH D1 baseball title today.

Go Saints.

Saints come through, 4-3, in 8 innings. I don't exactly love St Louis School, but I'd rather have them than Iolani School. I was quite pissed that Iolani beat Maryknoll today for the ILH D1 softball title, so St Louis rescued me from further aggravation. Having said all that, I'd suspect Iolani alumni are pissed, not just because they lost, but that it might seem almost "unfair". I think 2 of St Louis' runs came on a 2-run HR, so, I guess we could say they were "cheap" runs. On the other hand, Iolani had to scratch for each and every one of their runs. In fact, St Louis was up 2-0 heading into the final (7th) inning, but Iolani suddenly scores 3 runs in the top of the frame, to not only tie, but go ahead. St Louis alumni at the game at that point must have been thinking, "What the f***?" But, the Saints came back to scratch for the tying run in the bottom of the frame, and won the game in the 8th. Another factor was that Iolani committed 2 errors, while St Louis had none. I'm certain both errors were costly, in a low-scoring, 4-3, extra-inning affair.

So, with this win, St Louis wins the ILH D1 title. I'm really grateful for them; they spared me from having to see Iolani win 2 ILH D1 titles (the other being for softball, over Maryknoll). However, I think it would be excessively inconsiderate to gloat, because I think Iolani alumni have a reason to feel that the baseball gods were unfair. Again, 2 of St Louis' 4 runs came on a "cheap" 2-run HR, and were it not for Iolani's 2 errors, who knows? Iolani might have won. So, rather than exult, I'll just breathe a sigh of relief. I'm not going to be so rude as kick Iolani alumni when they're down over what must surely be a frustrating loss to them.

(OK; I didn't mean to edit my post; I should have clicked, ", to provide an update. This post should be the last one on the thread. Sorry.)
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

There's a feature on ScoringLive about Leilehua's 9-2 win over Kalani in softball. The game was tied at 2 until the final inning, when Leilehua exploded for 7 runs, and Kalani scored none in the bottom of the frame. Kalani alumni at the game must have been pissed. What a letdown. As the inning began, they might have had hopes that Kalani could hold Leilehua down, and pick-up a run in the bottom of the inning to win. They had held the Mules scoreless in the 5th and 6th. Instead, Leilehua suddenly pulls way ahead.

Kalani had 6 errors; Leilehua, none. You'd imagine most of Kalani's errors were committed in the 7th. The wheels must have really come-off during that inning.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Looks like Maryknoll and Iolani are playing for the overall ILH D1 softball championship today. Iolani had beaten them Monday, 9-8. I thought that was the championship game, but I guess it was only the Tournament championship. Maryknoll has better hitting, and if their ace Sniffen is pitching, it's usually lights-out. She pitched only the last 2 innings Monday. If she starts today, well, she's usually hard to hit. Also on Monday, Maryknoll committed 4 errors, while Iolani had only 1. Something tells me Maryknoll committed most--if not all--of those errors in the 1st, because that's when Iolani took a 7-0 lead. Iolani was the home team, so they scored those runs in the bottom of the frame. The game was tied 8-all in the 7th, but Iolani scored the winning run in the bottom of that frame. I've noticed that Iolani didn't pitch their ace, Agbayani, on Monday either. I'd imagine she'll pitch today. So, it should be ace against ace. Agbayani is a good pitcher, but I think Sniffen is a little better. Something tells me Maryknoll's players are pissed about Monday, not just because they lost, but because the game was so close. I have to believe that their 4 errors had something to do with it. So, I'd imagine that the Spartans want to redeem themselves, and want to beat the Raiders in the worst way. If they clean-up those errors, and if Sniffen is pitching, I think they have a very good chance of doing just that. Maryknoll has more power in their batting order. If Agbayani makes mistakes on the mound, Maryknoll's batters have the power-hitting to make her pay.

Go Spartans.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Nope. Raiders win big, 15-6. Maryknoll alumni must be pissed.
Strange; both schools had the same number of hits (8), and both schools had 1 HR each, though Iolani's was apparently good for 3 runs, while Maryknoll's was good only for 1. But, that's only a 2-run difference. Maryknoll had only 2 more errors than Iolani, 3-1. Final score doesn't seem to make sense, but it is what it is. Looking ahead to D1 States, Iolani would have to be considered the favorite, unfortunately. (I don't care for that school). But, I think Mililani, Kapolei, and Campbell are threats. I think all 3 of those schools have the pitching and the power to threaten Iolani. I'm counting on one of those schools to make Iolani eat humble pie, if only by just 1 run (a win is a win). Meanwhile, I really don't know what happened to Maryknoll. As mentioned above, that school's alumni must be pissed. I was pulling for Maryknoll, but, well, doo-doo happens.

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

If Iolani had beaten SLH, Iolani would have been ILH Champs with an 11-11 record. SLH 13-4-1, Kamehameha 12-6-1, MidPac 10-7, Punahou 10-7-1, and Maryknoll 8-7-1.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

BowTow wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:06 am If Iolani had beaten SLH, Iolani would have been ILH Champs with an 11-11 record. SLH 13-4-1, Kamehameha 12-6-1, MidPac 10-7, Punahou 10-7-1, and Maryknoll 8-7-1.
Off topic, but do you know why the Big West doesn't have a conference tournament for either baseball or softball? I think they are the only conference that doesn't have one for either sport.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BowTow wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:06 am If Iolani had beaten SLH, Iolani would have been ILH Champs with an 11-11 record. SLH 13-4-1, Kamehameha 12-6-1, MidPac 10-7, Punahou 10-7-1, and Maryknoll 8-7-1.
@BowTow:

I know; that's the crazy thing about the ILH baseball set-up. It rewards inconsistency and unfairness. But, that's not why I'm glad Iolani lost; it's because I don't care for that school. It's not about their baseball record, for me.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Anybody watching that crazy OIA D2 softball championship game? It's the Bottom 6th, and the score is crazy: Waipahu 21, Nanakuli 14. The hits garnered by each school doesn't make sense: Nanakuli has had 14 hits, just one fewer than Waipahu's 15, yet they're behind by 7 runs. You might think it's because Nanakuli made a lot of errors, but, no: While Nanakuli has committed 3 errors thus far, Waipahu has committed 7. Finally, Nanakuli has thus far hit 3 HRs, while Waipahu has thus far hit 1. How is any of all that supposed to make sense, given the score?
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

@HS Football Fanatic

Iolani enters States with a 10-12 record. Unreal if they win.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@BowTow:

Yeah, and I certainly hope they don't win the title, because again, I don't care for that school. But, they seem to have both the pitching and the hitting to possibly do it. I just hope their ace, Zacary Tenn, doesn't play. If he does, that of course improves their chances of winning the title. I hope he stays home, and doesn't make the trip to Maui. I'd have to say Kamehameha won't win it; they seem to have only one pitcher worth a darn: Kaai Kiakona, their ace. Question: Why the heck didn't the coaching staff throw him in either of their last games against Iolani? I mean, I agree with not starting him in the second game, but what about the later innings? Also, it seems that Kamehameha has forgotten how to hit a baseball: They scored only 1 run against Iolani in the second game. Seems they just can't recover when the chips are down. I wouldn't be surprised if they win only their first game in States. It's sad, how some schools are so disappointing.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:40 pm Anybody watching that crazy OIA D2 softball championship game? It's the Bottom 6th, and the score is crazy: Waipahu 21, Nanakuli 14. The hits garnered by each school doesn't make sense: Nanakuli has had 14 hits, just one fewer than Waipahu's 15, yet they're behind by 7 runs. You might think it's because Nanakuli made a lot of errors, but, no: While Nanakuli has committed 3 errors thus far, Waipahu has committed 7. Finally, Nanakuli has thus far hit 3 HRs, while Waipahu has thus far hit 1. How is any of all that supposed to make sense, given the score?
That's a final: Waipahu 21, Nanakuli 14. Waipahu ended-up with 16 hits, to Nanakuli's 14. Nanakuli's consolation, of course, is that they're still going to D2 States.