UH Men's Basketball Thread 2021-22

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

UH Men's Basketball Thread 2021-22

Post by ubercow »

nice decisive win on ESPN2 tonight against CSU Fullerton bringing them into a tie for second place in the conference.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: UH Men's Basketball Thread 2021-22

Post by shrek2 »

I started to get interested in UH Basketball when they were undefeated, then I started following them and picked up one of their two losses on the road. What struck me was Mate Colina didn't get any rebounds in their second Big West loss of the season but he made two threes. Since he gets about 12-15 minutes playing time giving the starters a rest he needs to accept the role of being the big man and unless they want to pull the other team's big man out from under. While he was in there, UH lost a 12 point lead. There can't be much of a drop off when there's substitution. When he gets 5 rebounds a game, UH is in good shape. When he plays perimeter, he has a tough time navigating back in.

Treyman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Treyman »

Horrendous loss to Irvine. Seems like annual pattern where team fizzles toward end of the season, ends up around .500 and gets bounced in first round of Big West tournament. Coach Ganot says the right things but his teams performance is average year after year. I hate to see anyone lose their job but Eran has had ample time to show he can recruit, win, and improve attendance. Was never a “Fire Ganot” guy but now believe it is time for a change. Appreciate hearing other thoughts

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I really thought UH has their program turned around because they were able to beat Russell Turner's Anteaters in the first game. I consider Russell Turner to be one of the best coaches in the Big West. There was a 50 point turnaround between the first and second game with UCI so it's disappointing. I guess one saving grace in UH's coaching staff is the Mike Thomas hire. I would have like to have seen Roderick Bobbitt on staff when he visited a few times but I guess that wasn't in the cards.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I know Ganot's got detractors for a variety of reasons, but do any of his detractors criticize him because they still remember the AC and Alika teams (as well as the subsequent ones that went to consecutive NCAA tournaments)? There is no doubt that the AC and Alika teams would've dominated the Big West as it is today. Does anybody also think he's a victim of his own success (only UH coach to have won an NCAA tournament game)?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

No doubt the Bow Warriors have had a tough year, but losing Coleman for the remainder of the season due to injury really hurts. Next man up.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:48 am I know Ganot's got detractors for a variety of reasons, but do any of his detractors criticize him because they still remember the AC and Alika teams (as well as the subsequent ones that went to consecutive NCAA tournaments)? There is no doubt that the AC and Alika teams would've dominated the Big West as it is today. Does anybody also think he's a victim of his own success (only UH coach to have won an NCAA tournament game)?
Back in 2015-16, I thought Eran Ganot was heaven-sent. Had all the boxes checked, from NY so exposed to NY basketball, played college, assistant coach at St Mary's (who BTW beat the Zags this past weekend). Coaching is all about recruiting, player development, game decisions, etc. The 2016 team had some great players who may have been there because of Benjy Taylor or the previous coach. One name I followed closely was Roderick Bobbit because I knew a teacher at his high school who said there was a holiday because Castro Valley High School had never won anything in basketball but a group of guys decided to transfer to the school and took the HS Division championship in 2011.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2011/03/04 ... oys-title/

These days it's all about recruiting from the portal as schools like Kentucky has resorted to if the school cannot keep their best players.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Well, I guess you can't say the ball game was boring against UCR. Great win, Bows.

XLT1000
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: none
NBA: none
NFL: none

Post by XLT1000 »

I think they sucked. They lost in the Big West Tournament. Losing to Cal State Fullerton. 58-46 loss.

XLT1000
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: none
NBA: none
NFL: none

Post by XLT1000 »

Treyman wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:30 pm Horrendous loss to Irvine. Seems like annual pattern where team fizzles toward end of the season, ends up around .500 and gets bounced in first round of Big West tournament. Coach Ganot says the right things but his teams performance is average year after year. I hate to see anyone lose their job but Eran has had ample time to show he can recruit, win, and improve attendance. Was never a “Fire Ganot” guy but now believe it is time for a change. Appreciate hearing other thoughts
Division II schools. WAC was a little better. Teams like Wyoming. BYU. California. Virginia. Those kinds of teams just right after the Bob Nash era of the 1972s. I think the basketball has gone down hill. The teams are not that good as they have been in time past. Fire Ganot? Not just yet. He's bringing in fans to watch. So keep him there yet. They almost drew a full capacity this year. Close.

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Walkoff Balk »

UH is getting basketball talent that reflects the Big West Conference. Players like Drew Buggs and Justin Webster were the main dudes on UH. But when they transferred, they get half the playing time than here. Riley Wallace could recruit WAC talent, which is basically the Mountain West Conference now. I think that the Mountain West Conference got four teams into the tournament. But, they all lost in the first round.

Treyman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Treyman »

Just took a look at St Peters roster on Verbal Commits. Not a 3 star or more on the team. How you figgah? Hawaii should be dominating in big West basketball. Recruiting is a huge issue but so is finding pieces that fit and complement each other. Eran needs to right the ship and pronto. Effort and fight certainly are admirable but at the end of the day what counts is the “W”

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Treyman wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:05 pm Just took a look at St Peters roster on Verbal Commits. Not a 3 star or more on the team. How you figgah? Hawaii should be dominating in big West basketball. Recruiting is a huge issue but so is finding pieces that fit and complement each other. Eran needs to right the ship and pronto. Effort and fight certainly are admirable but at the end of the day what counts is the “W”
A quick look at their roster shows 5 foreign athletes, one from Puerto Rico, a smattering of elsewhere from the US, and six from New Jersey and New York areas. Pretty impressive job. I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Holloway gets snapped up by a P5 school after this.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Treyman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Treyman »

Still waiting on LOI from Aussie forward. And all crickets on any other prospects for recruiting. Hope we don’t wait until summer before getting that last signee. Doesn’t seem like any urgency to the process. Not a great sign.

All-American
All-American

Post by 808 »

University of Hawaii men's basketball coach Eran Ganot announced the signing of Aussie standout Harry Rouhliadeff to a national letter of intent. Rouhliadeff will arrive in Manoa this summer with four years of eligibility.

https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2022/4 ... rward.aspx
Last edited by 808 on Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.