2022 Island Day, Junior Day, Spring Game Set for 4/16

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

Re: 2022 Spring Game Set for 4/16

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/CoachTimmyChang/status/1514890724424093697 https://twitter.com/KyleChinen/status/1514848731945836547

uhwarriors

Re: 2022 Spring Game Set for 4/16

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1515092744091316224 https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1515040685006594048

uhwarriors

Re: 2022 Island Day, Junior Day, Spring Game Set for 4/16

Post by uhwarriors »

TC is holding Junior Day with the Spring Game. Mack, Chow and Rolo did the same thing, except the Spring Game festivities and excitement is 10xs more. I think it might make a difference with some recruits.
https://twitter.com/UH_FBRecruits/status/1514843401698492418

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:37 pm TC is holding Junior Day with the Spring Game. Mack, Chow and Rolo did the same thing, except the Spring Game festivities and excitement is 10xs more. I think it might make a difference with some recruits.
https://twitter.com/UH_FBRecruits/status/1514843401698492418
https://twitter.com/c_shimabuku/status/1515586138874212354

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Anyone else go to Spring Day? I was impressed by the effort and the turnout.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:46 pm Anyone else go to Spring Day? I was impressed by the effort and the turnout.
The athletic department went all out and put on a great festival to show what a real game experience will be like in Manoa. There was a great vibe starting with the two lines of excited fans waiting for the gates/doors to open. One line was for the field and other was for the arena concert. The concert was great with several thousand enjoying the music. The endzone areas were packed with food and beverage vendors, Rainbowtique, etc. for fans and their kids.

Because of weather concerns, the concert was moved from Murakami Stadium to the arena. That didn’t allow UH to fully showcase how the Stadium will be used for pregame festivities, getting together with friends to “tailgate” and entertainment before real games. The Stadium still had bouncing castles, balloon making and face painting for kids.

There was a festive buzz before the practice. I had been informed that the Ha’a was going to be performed, but the crowd wasn’t aware. When it became apparent, fans got really excited. I think this just cemented the fact that Hawaii’s team and culture was back.

There were a lot of recruits there for Junior Day, mostly local, but some from the mainland. It looked like they were enjoying the atmosphere. One actually committed on the field after the game.

There were more fans at the spring game than any game last year. Estimates for the crowd seem to be in the 6,000 to 7,000 fans. I’m certain the morning rains kept some fans away, otherwise it might have an over capacity crowd.

Overall, it was a great success. The athletic department did an awesome job and fans really enjoyed it.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

How did the QBs do?
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:10 am
poidog wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:46 pm Anyone else go to Spring Day? I was impressed by the effort and the turnout.
The athletic department went all out and put on a great festival to show what a real game experience will be like in Manoa. There was a great vibe starting with the two lines of excited fans waiting for the gates/doors to open. One line was for the field and other was for the arena concert. The concert was great with several thousand enjoying the music. The endzone areas were packed with food and beverage vendors, Rainbowtique, etc. for fans and their kids.

Because of weather concerns, the concert was moved from Murakami Stadium to the arena. That didn’t allow UH to fully showcase how the Stadium will be used for pregame festivities, getting together with friends to “tailgate” and entertainment before real games. The Stadium still had bouncing castles, balloon making and face painting for kids.

There was a festive buzz before the practice. I had been informed that the Ha’a was going to be performed, but the crowd wasn’t aware. When it became apparent, fans got really excited. I think this just cemented the fact that Hawaii’s team and culture was back.

There were a lot of recruits there for Junior Day, mostly local, but some from the mainland. It looked like they were enjoying the atmosphere. One actually committed on the field after the game.

There were more fans at the spring game than any game last year. Estimates for the crowd seem to be in the 6,000 to 7,000 fans. I’m certain the morning rains kept some fans away, otherwise it might have an over capacity crowd.

Overall, it was a great success. The athletic department did an awesome job and fans really enjoyed it.
I was sitting on the makai sidelines so I didn't get to see the ha'a except for from the back. I was sitting by Atimalala's family and they were obviously having a great time watching Tamatoa torch the 1st team defense.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:38 pm How did the QBs do?
Schager's footwork looks better and he steps into his throws much better. Both offenses threw the ball a lot, and both Schager and Farrell looked pretty good. None of the other QB's stood out.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:43 pm
Schager's footwork looks better and he steps into his throws much better. Both offenses threw the ball a lot, and both Schager and Farrell looked pretty good. None of the other QB's stood out.
I've been to some practices this year. Shoemaker puts a lot of emphasis on throwing mechanics, footwork and moving around in the pocket. In fact, I don't recall seeing any teaching and drilling of throwing mechanics, footwork or pocket presence at any of last year's practices.

I agree that Schager and Farrell did the best and led their teams to most of the scores. The rest of the QBs didn't do as well.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:53 pm
poidog wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:43 pm
I've been to some practices this year. Shoemaker puts a lot of emphasis on throwing mechanics, footwork and moving around in the pocket. In fact, I don't recall seeing any teaching and drilling of throwing mechanics, footwork or pocket presence at any of last year's practices.

I agree that Schager and Farrell did the best and led their teams to most of the scores. The rest of the QBs didn't do as well.
The lack of investment into fundamentals on the offensive side of the ball last season was apparent. I bet we will drop less passes this year as well.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

In the paper Schager said that he is getting coached up the way he needs to. He thinks it is really helping him. I thought that it seemed like we were missing a quarterback coach last season. Looking forward to seeing how much he has improved this upcoming season. I have always thought that he had the talent.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Just from what you guys saw, are Schager and Farrell rather the "same" type of QBs? For example, Colt Brennen and Tyler Graunke were the "same." Plug and play. Cole McDonald and Chevan Cordeiro were different in many ways (IMO), more different.

Glad to see Farrell doing well. How long has he been here? This is his 3rd HC change?

Did Cooper get on the field? That's Rolo's boy from Wash.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:42 am Just from what you guys saw, are Schager and Farrell rather the "same" type of QBs? For example, Colt Brennen and Tyler Graunke were the "same." Plug and play. Cole McDonald and Chevan Cordeiro were different in many ways (IMO), more different.

Glad to see Farrell doing well. How long has he been here? This is his 3rd HC change?

Did Cooper get on the field? That's Rolo's boy from Wash.
Can't comment on the type of QB Farrell and Schager are but Farrell was recruited by Graham. Cooper did get on the field. Did not do anything to improve his position in the QB battle. Looks like its Schager, Farrell, Cooper and Edden may not be too far behind.
ImageImage