2022 Walk-on Tryouts

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

2022 Walk-on Tryouts

Post by uhwarriors »

Maybe we'll find a player or two during the walk-on tryouts.

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1490451943600254977

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: 2022 Walk-on Tryouts

Post by cabanalane »

Is it still true that UH don't cut any players? Meaning, you can be a non-scholarship walk-on player that only see time at practice, with "zero" chance of playing. If you are a good student, get good grades, come to practice, do your thing, you are on the team.

The question is, there is no (real) cap on the number of players? Meaning, there is really no cost to the University and you may get a "Mike Tressler" or two in the bunch.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:10 am Is it still true that UH don't cut any players? Meaning, you can be a non-scholarship walk-on player that only see time at practice, with "zero" chance of playing. If you are a good student, get good grades, come to practice, do your thing, you are on the team.

The question is, there is no (real) cap on the number of players? Meaning, there is really no cost to the University and you may get a "Mike Tressler" or two in the bunch.
There can only be as many players as lockers, which may range between 110 and 120.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:35 am
cabanalane wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:10 am Is it still true that UH don't cut any players? Meaning, you can be a non-scholarship walk-on player that only see time at practice, with "zero" chance of playing. If you are a good student, get good grades, come to practice, do your thing, you are on the team.

There can only be as many players as lockers, which may range between 110 and 120.
As long as a player's "thing" is consistent with the "coaching staff's thing" and the "team's thing", then the player (scholarship or walk-on) typically won't get cut (if he's a good student & good citizen).

Unlike the "Mike Tressler" days (when walk-ons were not allowed by the NCAA to participate in the team training table), all current walk-ons are now provided with training table meals, snacks & nutritional supplements (which costs the University although partially supplemented through the Na Koa Football Club booster donations).
Last edited by kapakahi on Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Hopefully former 'Iolani '20 WR Carter Kamana was able to transfer back to UH (after entering the transfer portal on January 11, 2022) from Wazzu (where he was a PWO invited by Rolo) and will be following the same path of his older brother Noa (who was invited to join the team in Spring 2019 following his own UH walk-on tryout)....especially since the outside WR position returns only 2 players (Bowens & Panoke) with any D1 playing experience.

https://247sports.com/player/carter-kamana-46111545/
https://wsucougars.com/sports/football/ ... mana/10258 https://twitter.com/oc16tv/status/1188011750685401088

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

kapakahi wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:32 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:35 am

As long as a player's "thing" is consistent with the "coaching staff's thing" and the "team's thing", then the player (scholarship or walk-on) typically won't get cut (if he's a good student & good citizen).

Unlike the "Mike Tressler" days (when walk-ons were not allowed by the NCAA to participate in the team training table), all current walk-ons are now provided with training table meals, snacks & nutritional supplements (which costs the University although partially supplemented through the Na Koa Football Club booster donations).
Didn't know that. Thanks.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

:- Hope to get some reports tomorrow

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I wonder how the tryouts went? Any diamonds in the rough who can at least help with the scout team?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

From the Star-Advertiser (By Stephen Tsai)....

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/02/ ... n-tryouts/
Warriors get a surprise standout in walk-on tryouts
By Stephen Tsai Today Updated 1:02 am

Brandon MacGregor was a member of the UH video staff last season.

Wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers skull cap and a green volleyball shirt, 27-year-old Brandon MacGregor was the improbable star of the University of Hawaii football team’s walk-on tryouts.

MacGregor, who is a member of the Rainbow Warriors’ video staff, ran the fastest “flying 10” among the nearly 40 participants at the audition at the Ching Complex. In measuring top-end speed, a runner is laser-timed over 10 yards with a lead-up, 20-yard sprint. MacGregor was clocked at 0.99 seconds in his initial attempt — the first sub-one second sprint of the participants — and then 0.97 in his second sprint.

MacGregor, who is auditioning as a linebacker, also did well in agility and position drills.

“I made this decision two years ago for myself and to inspire other people that you’re never too old to chase a dream,” said MacGregor, who grew up in Pittsburgh and Southern California. “I haven’t played football in nine years. But if you put your body, mind and soul into it, you can achieve anything.”

After graduating from Paloma High in California, MacGregor went back to Pittsburgh to take care of his ailing mother. He attended a community college, and then Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where he majored in physics and minored in geology and mathematics. He eventually moved to Hawaii, where he was admitted into UH’s earth and planetary science program. His emphasis is studying volcanoes.

Because there were no tryouts last year due to the pandemic, he landed a job videoing the Warriors’ offense in practices. “Just trying to help out the braddahhood anyway I could,” MacGregor said. “They were nice enough to give me that opportunity, so I was blessed to come and help out.”

Three weeks ago, while training for the tryout, MacGregor suffered what he believed was a serious injury to his right ankle. “I thought I broke my ankle,” he recalled. “I couldn’t walk. I couldn’t put any weight on my ankle.”

But with help from Susan Bradley, a Maui-based, Christian Science practitioner, MacGregor felt better quickly. “Two days later, I went to the gym and dead-lifted. The next day, I was doing 40-yard dashes with no pain. I never injured my ankle that badly, and (the recover was) amazing. I was almost in tears. I thought the journey had come to an end. So much praise to the Lord.”
--
Outspoken Lee in tryouts

Former UH hybrid safety-linebacker Leonard Lee also participated in the tryout. Lee was one of the most vocal critics of the environment fostered by former head coach Todd Graham.

After expressing his views during a Twitter Space forum, Lee did not attend two practices, and was removed from the roster. Graham resigned on Jan. 14.
--
Receivers post still vacant

With the announcement of Eastern Washington defensive coordinator Eti Ena as defensive line coach, the receivers coach is the only vacant job remaining on the Warriors’ staff.

For now, head coach Timmy Chang is leading the receivers’ meetings as part of the orientation to the Warriors’ new offense — a mix of run-pass option and run-and-shoot. UH still plans to hire a permanent receivers coach.
--
Owens Jr. creates own path

Chad Owens Jr. is only partially following the path of his father, a former walk-on who became an all-league player at UH and then in the Canadian Football League.

While the elder Owens was a slotback/returner for the Warriors, Owens Jr., a walk-on who joined the Warriors in January, is strictly a quarterback. Owens Jr., who is 5-9 and 185 pounds, has impressed teammates with his passing and running during players-only workouts.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Props to MacGregor for being doggedly persistent.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

I don’t want Leonard Lee on the team. His attitude sucks and that Twitter spaces was a complete embarrassment to the program. Not worth the trouble for a backup.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

FYI that at least 20 current UH players watched the walk-on tryouts and provided vocal support for Leonard Lee and a few others. There were probably around 30 walk-on candidates who participated in the tryout.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:12 pm I don’t want Leonard Lee on the team. His attitude sucks and that Twitter spaces was a complete embarrassment to the program. Not worth the trouble for a backup.
:roll:
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:12 pm I don’t want Leonard Lee on the team. His attitude sucks and that Twitter spaces was a complete embarrassment to the program. Not worth the trouble for a backup.
Consider what would have happened if players like Leonard Lee didn't speak up. Even more players would have left and there would not have been an uproar, a Senate hearing, the board of regents under fire, etc. And by the way, TG would still be the coach. I think most would agree TG continuing on being the coach was not going to be good.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

This is the problem with social media. Everyone is an expert and no one knows anything about what's really going on. There is clearly a problem with the provincial know-it-all's playing at turning a frog into a prince. It ain't gonna happen. The hires of Von Appen and Chow were disastrous. Well, the frog prince gift for Hawaii almost happened with McMackin and Aranda. Instead, the local know-it-all's hired Chow. Aranda's future is now brighter than any former coach for Hawaii. Dude is humble and faithful. He would've been the key. Social media and the loco big-shots drove him out.

What can I say about the future situation? The new coach is something different. I am hopeful. Should anyone hate on a walk-on player...I don't see the point. He vented on social media...a juvenile remedy. Don't act accordingly. Aloha.