2022 Walk-on Tryouts

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022 Walk-on Tryouts

Post by My3Cats »

I guess so far no word from the coach as to who, if any, made it through the walk on tryout to make the team.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

uhwarriors wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:54 pm
gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:12 pm I don’t want Leonard Lee on the team. His attitude sucks and that Twitter spaces was a complete embarrassment to the program. Not worth the trouble for a backup.
Consider what would have happened if players like Leonard Lee didn't speak up. Even more players would have left and there would not have been an uproar, a Senate hearing, the board of regents under fire, etc. And by the way, TG would still be the coach. I think most would agree TG continuing on being the coach was not going to be good.
Regardless I would rather have players who are team first rather than me first. They can try to rationalize it as being a martyr and wanting what they think is right for the team but at its most simplest terms he and others didn't like the coach so they acted out in their own ways.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:21 am
gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:12 pm I don’t want Leonard Lee on the team. His attitude sucks and that Twitter spaces was a complete embarrassment to the program. Not worth the trouble for a backup.
Consider what would have happened if players like Leonard Lee didn't speak up. Even more players would have left and there would not have been an uproar, a Senate hearing, the board of regents under fire, etc. And by the way, TG would still be the coach. I think most would agree TG continuing on being the coach was not going to be good.
Regardless I would rather have players who are team first rather than me first. They can try to rationalize it as being a martyr and wanting what they think is right for the team but at its most simplest terms he and others didn't like the coach so they acted out in their own ways.
Lucky for the players on the team that your opinion on this doesn't really matter.

Having a toxic Head Coach like Graham serving several more years under his contract would have decimated the team's roster with the transfer portal available, to a point of no return for the program. Hawaii players would no longer want to become part of the University of Hawaii Football program with Graham serving as Head Coach and Bo Graham as Offensive Coordinator.

The resurgence of recruiting the best Hawaii players to represent the State of Hawaii and playing for the State of Hawaii can become a proud tradition for UH Football again.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:08 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:21 am
Lucky for the players on the team that your opinion on this doesn't really matter.

Having a toxic Head Coach like Graham serving several more years under his contract would have decimated the team's roster with the transfer portal available, to a point of no return for the program. Hawaii players would no longer want to become part of the University of Hawaii Football program with Graham serving as Head Coach and Bo Graham as Offensive Coordinator.

The resurgence of recruiting the best Hawaii players to represent the State of Hawaii and playing for the State of Hawaii can become a proud tradition for UH Football again.
Lucky? What does that mean? Are you saying you know more than any of us? Are you saying you know more than what at the very most was heresy rumors and accusations that grew so much over social media to a point that became fact with no concrete evidence to speak of? As you say my opinion doesn't matter. Neither does yours. Whether Graham was truly toxic is still up for debate. You don't know what would have happened had Graham was still coach? A number of local Hawaii recruits still committed while Graham was still HC. So there goes your assumption. Also its entirely possible a number of those that went into the transfer portal in fact stay in Hawaii had the FUBAR mess of a Twitter Space and the fallout from that aka. Senate Hearing "cough" I mean kangaroo court not happened.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Still waiting on walkon information.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Outside of the situation, young guys should know/learn that sometimes there is a price to pay for their actions. Some guys paid the price (and moved on with other teams). Some ended their football career. Although I did not like the way this was played out (in public and with the senate), and don't agree with it, Leonard Lee deserve a chance to "fight" his way back. TChang is put in a tough situation. Does he bring LL back? Local First, or "no" because LL is not really that good. Or will TChang just want to turn the page and having LL on the team may remind everyone of the past.

Regardless, every guy in the locker room had to decide if they are "in or out." Some stayed, some left. Let's move on.

Back to Todd Graham. We will probably only know half of the story. I still think none of this would end up this way with a few more completed passes, and two-three more wins. Sort of like money in a marriage. When there is no money, husband and wife start to pick on one another. And the little things become big, and then those things then become what's not even about.

Winning solves everything. We all love TChang. But if he does not break 0.500 by his second year, it would be sad to see those comments.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:21 pm
Lucky? What does that mean? Are you saying you know more than any of us? Are you saying you know more than what at the very most was heresy rumors and accusations that grew so much over social media to a point that became fact with no concrete evidence to speak of? As you say my opinion doesn't matter. Neither does yours. Whether Graham was truly toxic is still up for debate. You don't know what would have happened had Graham was still coach? A number of local Hawaii recruits still committed while Graham was still HC. So there goes your assumption. Also its entirely possible a number of those that went into the transfer portal in fact stay in Hawaii had the FUBAR mess of a Twitter Space and the fallout from that aka. Senate Hearing "cough" I mean kangaroo court not happened.
There was an abundance of meaningful testimony resulting from the Senate hearing. All you had to do was take the time to read the testimony provided, to come to your own reasonable conclusion.

Attorney Green’s testimony was probably one of the most telling, sharing that player’s families had requested his assistance in filing lawsuits against the UH Head Coach. Although Green declined taking their cases, he warned UH that another Attorney would.

Do you have a reasonable explanation why UH’s starting QB, Running Back, WR, Defensive End, Linebacker, and Safety all left the program?

How about Graham resigning and not requesting a settlement on his remaining contract due?

And you still believe that Graham mistreating the players is still up for debate? Really?

We should be thanking Leonard Lee for having the courage of speaking up for the team about the situation that was happening. It took a lot of courage to speak up against the Head Coach.

UH Football is now in a much better place because of him.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

IDK, maybe Graham resigned because of the baseless innuendo thrown up at the senate hearing? Maybe it was because of media-hyped fans screaming obscenities at his house? It looks to me like the situation itself was toxic. Players couldn't meet because of covid protocols. Fans couldn't watch the game. The 2020 and 2021 schedules were awful. A lackadaisical coach departs unexpectedly and is replaced by a disciplinarian.

Why would coach refuse a buy-out? He genuinely cared for the team and didn't want to take money from the struggling program.

Anyway, this thread is about walk-ons. Walk-ons rarely get a chance to start. When they do, it's because of hard work. If I'm not mistaken, Dedrick Parson was a walk-on...and he was our best running back last year.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:01 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:21 pm
There was an abundance of meaningful testimony resulting from the Senate hearing. All you had to do was take the time to read the testimony provided, to come to your own reasonable conclusion.

Attorney Green’s testimony was probably one of the most telling, sharing that player’s families had requested his assistance in filing lawsuits against the UH Head Coach. Although Green declined taking their cases, he warned UH that another Attorney would.

Do you have a reasonable explanation why UH’s starting QB, Running Back, WR, Defensive End, Linebacker, and Safety all left the program?

How about Graham resigning and not requesting a settlement on his remaining contract due?

And you still believe that Graham mistreating the players is still up for debate? Really?

We should be thanking Leonard Lee for having the courage of speaking up for the team about the situation that was happening. It took a lot of courage to speak up against the Head Coach.

UH Football is now in a much better place because of him.
If you bothered to read any of my previous posts about the senate hearing you'd know I have watched the entire thing and read all the testimonies. Yes even the ones that were not read at the hearing. Yes including the ones that supported Graham. Yeah the ones conveniently excluded from being allowed to be heard orally. Did you read those testimonies or just read what they allowed you to be heard?

Also testimonies is just that testimony. Not evidence or anything close to that. Would not hold up in court. Michael Green's lawsuit threat is just that, a threat. On what grounds would such a lawsuit against UH be?

As for Lee, there was no courage involved. He lost his spot on the team, he had no scholarship and probably was in no position to be awarded one. If that's the case then heck why not go out taking down what you can. If he wanted to show courage he would've answered questions I posed to him directly which he ignored.

As for mistreating players. Did it happen or did the players perceive it to happen to them? What constitutes mistreatment? Were these specific players too soft cause they were used to the softer approach by Rolo? Remember Naeole left cause of apparently differences in regards to punishment of player misconduct. We all know Naeole took no BS.

As for those players transferring? There are multiple reasons why they transferred. You can't put a blanket reason on all of them for why they transferred. Heck some likely would've stayed had the situation not caused this mess to get worse. You don't know why, you're only making assumptions to fit your narrative.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Getting back to the topic of walk-ons . . .

Who were true walk-ons (not preferred walk-ons, big difference) in recent memory who earned significant playing time?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:16 pm Getting back to the topic of walk-ons . . .

Who were true walk-ons (not preferred walk-ons, big difference) in recent memory who earned significant playing time?
I think they were all true walkons. The preferred walkons don't have to go through any tryouts.
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Waimea HS (Kauai) '21 DL Tali Moe (mentored by former multi-season UH starting NG/DT Siasau "Saui" Matagiese) participated in the walk-on tryouts and has been invited to join the Spring team roster. https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1501096145606496256

Link
Last edited by kapakahi on Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:39 pm
My3Cats wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:16 pm Getting back to the topic of walk-ons . . .

I think they were all true walkons. The preferred walkons don't have to go through any tryouts.
Looking back at some prior post, in 2010 almost 100 guys showed up, about 4 got selected, 1 eventually made the team (Kawika Borden) and eventually played at LS until his senior year

In 2012, about a 100 came out, 4 got selected, 2 made the team (Joel Ragsdale & Tyler Brown) but never played

So it's like a needle in the haystack

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I didn't know the odds are that slim. What's the point of the walk-on, to find that 4/100 let's say? I thought walk-on tryouts was for guys that get chance. Look more like "no chance."

I assume there is a cost to host the walk-on tryouts too.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:42 pm I didn't know the odds are that slim. What's the point of the walk-on, to find that 4/100 let's say? I thought walk-on tryouts was for guys that get chance. Look more like "no chance."

I assume there is a cost to host the walk-on tryouts too.
I wouldn't think that there is much of a cost to it. Just the manpower (coaches) running drills. They probably did it on one of the practice fields. The guys who get chance are preferred walkons who don't need to go through the tryouts.
ImageImage