Ian Shoemaker is the new OC/QB coach

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

Ian Shoemaker is the new OC/QB coach

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1486836325672128514 .

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01/ ... ordinator/
In three seasons as EWU’s offensive coordinator, the Eagles averaged 537.1 yards and 41.3 points per game. The Eagles’ offense ranged from five-wide sets to pistol formations employing run/pass option concepts. The Eagles favored a no-huddle alignment and often rapid tempo.

Shoemaker was Central Washington’s head coach for five years, winning Great Northwest Athletic Conference titles in 2017 and 2018. In 2019, Shoemaker’s first season at EWU, the Eagles led the nation in total offense (524.8 yards per game).
https://twitter.com/reecenagaoka/status/1486839595887042563

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Ian Shoemaker is the new OC/QB coach

Post by gpmcconnell »

Dam pretty disappointing TBH

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

This is an exciting hire!!!!! :hello1:

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Pistol? no huddle? Zone-read/RPO? Tight end over the middle? Sounds eerily familiar. Good luck UH.

Offensive Philosophy
The biggest change in EWU football in recent years is the shift from the air raid of Beau Baldwin to a more balanced approach favored by ex-OC Bodie Reeder (now at North Texas) and current OC Ian Shoemaker. That Eastern managed to achieve a top-4 points per game offense all while remaining incredibly balanced - both run and pass yardage per game ranked top-20 - is a good sign that the new concepts are taking hold.

From a stylistic perspective, Shoemaker is introducing more pistol concepts into the offense, bringing in a hybrid of both the single back and shotgun formations. However, it doesn’t sound like coaches are attempting to make a massive departure from last season’s successful unit. When you watch games from last year, they look like a lot of traditional college football offenses you see today. They run no-huddle with a little tempo, are always out of the shotgun, and mix in plenty of zone-read/RPO concepts. You will see them in five receiver sets too, where they like to utilize the TE over the middle. The guy that makes it all go is QB Eric Barriere, who the coaches like to have specific run plays designed for out of spread formations, so he can exploit the extra space with his speed.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

wilderstreet
High-quality H20 provider

Post by wilderstreet »

gpmcconnell wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:10 pm Dam pretty disappointing TBH
Is it because he never averaged over 400 yards passing per game? Or 600 total yards per game? Or didn't average 50 points per game?

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

i dig it

Shoko

Post by Shoko »

I don't understand why you guys are so married to 10 personnel.

Adding a couple of versatile TE's in 11 or 12 personnel can really open up your play book.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Shoko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:41 pm I don't understand why you guys are so married to 10 personnel.

Adding a couple of versatile TE's in 11 or 12 personnel can really open up your play book.
They must have forgotten or didn't know that Timmy was the TE coach at Nevada for 3 years

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

I'm cool with this, the system may look similar to TG offense but the biggest difference is we have an experienced OC to call the shots now, and an offensive minded coach.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

wilderstreet wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:36 pm
Is it because he never averaged over 400 yards passing per game? Or 600 total yards per game? Or didn't average 50 points per game?
I really wanted Brian Smith or Stutz. Also pretty curious why he resigned from EWU.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I mentioned in the other thread that I thought it was unlikely that we would run anything close to the R&S we know and/or want. When TC is asked about it, he says something along the lines of "we'll incorporate some run & shoot things" which means absolutely nothing, because most modern offenses use "some" r&s concepts without actually being anything close to the r&s. He's telling people what they want to hear, but aside from some back shoulder throws and some choice routes, it will be somewhat similar to what we saw the last 2 seasons. That may or may not be fine, but people expecting some ultimate hybrid offense will be disappointed

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Shoko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:41 pm I don't understand why you guys are so married to 10 personnel.
Probably because we won 18 games between 2018-2019 and were playing for a MWC championship under that scheme.

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

gpmcconnell wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:21 pm
wilderstreet wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:36 pm
I really wanted Brian Smith or Stutz. Also pretty curious why he resigned from EWU.
https://247sports.com/college/idaho/Boa ... 31/?page=4

Found this link. Of course it’s from a message board, Idaho vandals board, so don’t know how credible the j formation is. But they are also talking about rolo there.

Shoko

Post by Shoko »

poidog wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:31 pm
Probably because we won 18 games between 2018-2019 and were playing for a MWC championship under that scheme.
Okay, fair point.

How about we call it the RnS offense, still recruit those 6.2-6.3 240 lb guys but we don't call them tight ends. Instead we call them oversized receivers with a bad attitude.

Seriously, though, hopefully Shoemaker can makes a believer out of you. Just be patient...I know, its hard for me too.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

ubercow wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:39 pmi dig it
Me too. We needed a quarterback coach and I think we got a good one. Timmy will have his input on what offense we will be running but when he hired a tightend coach I knew that we wouldn’t be seeing the run and shoot. Yes there will be pieces of run and shoot in our new offense but a lot of teams are doing that. What we need are coaches who can make our players execute what they are trying to run. They will design schemes around the skills and talents of the players that we have on the team. Timmy has said as much.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: