Ian Shoemaker is the new OC/QB coach

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Shoko
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Ian Shoemaker is the new OC/QB coach

Post by Shoko »

If you have iTunes or Spotify, you can listen to Shoemaker's podcast. Coaching journey, combining systems that don't fit together, focus of run/pass balance etc. I should note this podcast was held when he was the head coach at CWU. Philosophy might have changed along the way here?

iTune or Spotify: Personnel Flexibility and Use of Drones- Ian Shoemaker, OC Eastern Washington

Said something interesting...
"The mere presence of a tight end can make defensive coordinators think twice"

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

nostra_808 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:00 pm
gpmcconnell wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:21 pm
wilderstreet wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:36 pm
Is it because he never averaged over 400 yards passing per game? Or 600 total yards per game? Or didn't average 50 points per game?
I really wanted Brian Smith or Stutz. Also pretty curious why he resigned from EWU.
https://247sports.com/college/idaho/Boa ... 31/?page=4

Found this link. Of course it’s from a message board, Idaho vandals board, so don’t know how credible the j formation is. But they are also talking about rolo there.
Interesting, thank you for sharing. The more I read the better he sounds, would love see those kind of numbers at UH. I’ll make my judge after the first couple of games. I wonder if Smith or Stutz were even considered.

Shoko

Post by Shoko »

Shoko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:04 pm
poidog wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:31 pm
Shoko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:41 pm I don't understand why you guys are so married to 10 personnel.
Probably because we won 18 games between 2018-2019 and were playing for a MWC championship under that scheme.
Okay, fair point.

Hopefully Shoemaker can makes a believer out of you. Just be patient...I know, its hard for me too.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Fabulous hire! OC with experience and hunger. Adds diversity of offensive philosophy to the mix. I am always afraid of the inbreeding of coaches. Reminds me of Paul Johnson hire in terms of knowing his schemes and adjustments.

Keeps his phone nearby when he goes to sleep to note ideas he gets in the middle of the night. I knew someone who used to leave his dictaphone on his nightstand for that very same reason. I think Chris Peterson was the same way.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Sounds like Chang and Shoemaker are going to combine ideas to create the new offense. Interestingly Shoemaker said it hasn't been determined who will be calling the plays or will be in charge of the offense. I like the fact he says he has no ego. He just wants to build the best offense and score as many points as we can.
https://twitter.com/AHoshidaSports/status/1486867549677502466

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Shoko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:57 pm
Shoko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:04 pm
poidog wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:31 pm

Probably because we won 18 games between 2018-2019 and were playing for a MWC championship under that scheme.
Okay, fair point.

Hopefully Shoemaker can makes a believer out of you. Just be patient...I know, its hard for me too.
Oh I actually don't have a problem with the hire at the moment. I'm cool with whatever offense as long as it works. I was just saying that it's not unreasonable for people to be a little disappointed if we don't Immediately go back to what we were doing pre-graham. Personally, I would love to see us have some dynamic TE/Hbacks on the field.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

After listening to the podcast I like his experience of being at places that don’t have things. He won’t be disappointed here. He also has a lot of experience. Head baseball coach and Offensive Coordinator at the same time. I think his experience and concepts will help Timmy a lot. He will be a huge change from the coaching style of Graham. I hope he stays for a long time.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Shoko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:26 pmiTune or Spotify: Personnel Flexibility and Use of Drones- Ian Shoemaker, OC Eastern Washington
Podcast Link: https://soundcloud.com/user-804678956/p ... washington

Shoko

Post by Shoko »

Norvell didn’t have a lot of TEs on roster, at least not like Ault or even Polian when there personnel groupings involved multiple TEs in different alignment. But even though they recruited heavily, finding the pro TE hasn’t been easy. That might change with the new Nevada staff. Hopefully here, too.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

It's interesting he said he didn't know TChang. So you get a phone call "Hi, this is Tim Chang..."

Who?

And now he is selling his house and enrolling his kids in a school call "Puna Whole."

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Here is something interesting about 2021:

Eastern Washington with Ian Shoemaker as OC beat UNLV at UNLV 35-33 in 2OT.
Hawaii with Todd & Bo Graham lost to UNLV at UNLV 13-27 beat down.

Ian Shoemaker just might be the real deal as Hawaii new OC and the best hire so far!

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:45 am It's interesting he said he didn't know TChang. So you get a phone call "Hi, this is Tim Chang..."

Who?

And now he is selling his house and enrolling his kids in a school call "Puna Whole."
that's funny, but I'm sure they have their own people to help set that up first. I thought the same about the fact they don't know each other, but they have to know of each other. They both coached west coast and coach shoe teams put up some numbers

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:31 pm I hope he stays for a long time.
one of the worst things about Graham was that none of his up and coming assistant coaches had any plans to stay here longer than they had to. That's not a good formula for having success here. Looking at Chang's staff, it's easy to say that the majority of them are going to stick around as long as TC wants them here.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Everyone is a champion for Hawaii until someone show them the money. I thought Craig Stutzmann was that guy too. More than half of his (adult) life is on the mainland. As "local" as Norm Chow.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:31 pm
RedZone wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:31 pm I hope he stays for a long time.
one of the worst things about Graham was that none of his up and coming assistant coaches had any plans to stay here longer than they had to. That's not a good formula for having success here. Looking at Chang's staff, it's easy to say that the majority of them are going to stick around as long as TC wants them here.
Can't blame the assistants too much with what they get paid and the COL in Hawaii.