Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: *** Official New HC Timmy Chang Thread ***

Post by My3Cats »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:58 am

Link

This video brings an interesting point that a lot of us have been saying bringing back the Culture and Traditions. He makes good point that there are not many 70 year old Nick Sabans out there, but Hawaii Football Nick Saban is June Jones!!!! And that scared Matlin and Lassner! They wanted a puppet after Todd Graham hiring. I support Timmy and just like the video states that Steve Sarkisian could be the next Nick Saban leader/influencer at Texas. But so, could Timmy Chang build himself up to that level of Hawaii version of Nick Saban, who knows?

I have no doubt that Timmy will attempt to bring back the culture and traditions that he had when he played for the Hawaii Warriors Football Program. But he is going to have a leash around his neck by Matlin and Lassner for a while about football related peripheral decisions like marketing and other things.
Right on the kinipopo. UH bureaucracy and State interference will hold TC down. Not TC's fault but hope that he fights to get what he wants, and needs.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

The pulse of Hawaii (UH) football is still in critical condition as there seems to be a division between love for TChang (who has yet to win a game) and UH "Admins" in the public eye.

I like to think Chang is smarter than that, meaning he got mentors/friends on the mainland that would better advise him. Chang is still an employee of the state, and have bosses he has to answer to. Is Chang a puppet coach? I don't think so. D. Matlin does not know how to run drills. Matlin can't throw a football farther than 10 yards. Chang still has to do his job and win games.

I believe a few more completed passes, less missed tackles here and there, 7-6 record, automatic bid to Hawaii Bowl (without the token invite), none of this drama would have happened. We would be looking at Year 3 of the TG era. I could imagine a record of 9-4 (if we had 7-6 this past year) and CC as the starting QB, and Schager as QB1B, like how McDonald and CC used to share time. When one guy is off, the other guy jumps in to win the game. And let's not forget, Bo Graham was doing a much better job in the last two games when he went up to the booth instead of the sidelines. I would expect Bo Graham to do better too in year 3.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I have hope for this team. So far, I like the coaching staff Coach Chang has put together. There seems to be a depth of young up-and-coming stars in multiple roles that I don't recall UH having had before. Did we ever have a specialized safety coach before? Also, the team isn't all that depleted. When I look at the roster, I see that Daruis Muasau's brother is still on it. A lot of senior starters appear to have opted to stay on (unless I misunderstood the covid19 rule change...or the UH website has yet to be updated.) I really like that Paivihi and Blessman are returning. We have at least 5 pretty good, on-paper, QB's. OL and DL seem deep. WR's and RB's are young but also loaded. We also have a lot of TE's. Db's and Lb's...good.

Timmy Chang's been through the fire for us many times as a player. I'd like to remind you of a distant victory by Mr. Chang coming off the bench. Sure, the narrator is a little annoying as an outsider, but he captures the fight in Hawaii as well as in Chang. That same spirit prevailed in the win over the same adversary in 2020. That adversary finished as a ranked team in 2021. We qualified for our bowl game this past year...but covid shut the door on it. It's a new beginning us.

Link

Link

Link

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

That was 2020. There was so much hope. Too bad 2021 will be remember on a sad note.

XLT1000
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: none
NBA: none
NFL: none

Post by XLT1000 »

What's going to be the offense like? And will he yell at players and tell them who's boss? You know? I make the money and I'm the head of the football team. You just play and have to pay your way through yet. You don't have any say on the matter. That kind of stuffs.

Screw you. I'm from OIA. And I never heard of KIF. That was 40 years ago. Kaua'i.

Shogunate
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Shogunate »

XLT1000 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:54 pm What's going to be the offense like? And will he yell at players and tell them who's boss? You know? I make the money and I'm the head of the football team. You just play and have to pay your way through yet. You don't have any say on the matter. That kind of stuffs.

Screw you. I'm from OIA. And I never heard of KIF. That was 40 years ago. Kaua'i.
Oh no! fuki has infiltrated the sportshawaii board!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Shogunate wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:25 am
XLT1000 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:54 pm What's going to be the offense like? And will he yell at players and tell them who's boss? You know? I make the money and I'm the head of the football team. You just play and have to pay your way through yet. You don't have any say on the matter. That kind of stuffs.

I figured that's who this was but I didn't want to say anything!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

XLT1000
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: none
NBA: none
NFL: none

Post by XLT1000 »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:36 am
Shogunate wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:25 am

I figured that's who this was but I didn't want to say anything!
I guess i did know Mike Tressler there. Somewhat. I'm not sure where or what he's doing now. Season is over. Until next year again, doing something.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Interesting comment from Schager who was a TG recruit.
“It really feels like a whole different culture right now with this new coaching staff,” Schager said. “It’s really changed for the better, and I think we’re going to be better.”
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/03/ ... n-the-sun/

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

UH: are you a moderator or a perpetrator of hate? Seriously, why would anyone continue to heap dispersion on this guy? TG did the honorable thing. In the face of a witch hunt, he declined a buy-out to help the program. TG has been a winning coach here and elsewhere. I really don't see the need to continue to hammer down on the man any longer.

The appointment of TC looks good. His support looks good. Of course, the kids approve of change. It's been a terrible past two years for everyone. This is a different year from years past. I hope for the best.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:48 am UH: are you a moderator or a perpetrator of hate? Seriously, why would anyone continue to heap dispersion on this guy? TG did the honorable thing. In the face of a witch hunt, he declined a buy-out to help the program. TG has been a winning coach here and elsewhere. I really don't see the need to continue to hammer down on the man any longer.

The appointment of TC looks good. His support looks good. Of course, the kids approve of change. It's been a terrible past two years for everyone. This is a different year from years past. I hope for the best.
Being a moderator doesn’t mean I can’t post comments, take part in discussions or have opinions.

TG would have been entitled to a buyout if UH fired him without cause. UH did not fire him. TG resigned and was required to pay UH a buyout clause for not fulfilling his contract. UH has not indicated that if it will pursue requiring TG to pay for not competing his contract.

We can agree to disagree on what TG did with the program. You can feel that he is a good man and did a lot of good for the program. I feel otherwise. You know what you know and believe and I know what I know and believe. Neither is going to change the other’s mind.

My previous comment on Schager should have included more background. Based on what I knew at the time, I posted that I thought more TG recruits would be leaving after TG left. Only a few did and Schager wasn’t one of them. I’m glad he stayed. He’s happy and said so much in Tsai’s article and I found that interesting.

I also think TC and the staff he put together is doing a good job changing the culture of the program and having a recruiting program that makes sense. I am also hoping for the best but realistically know this is a major rebuild. I don’t believe we’ll see the fruits of the change for a couple of years.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Manoa doesn't build the program, they apply band-aides. Make no mistake: TG wouldn't owe UH a buyout because he was run out of town. Dude was gracious enough not to fight it. Some quick-fixes work while others erode it. Von Appen and Chow were disasters. McMackin and Graham were successful. I watched the Big Mike videos...that was not an unhappy team. Think what you will. When you install a strict coach after a marshmallow, you're gonna have some unhappy slackers. You can blame the portal or Graham...but the successful duo that departed Manoa ended up at Cincinnati and UCLA. I don't know that they disliked Graham or not. Graham brought in recruits from Texas because he knew that area. He expanded our little pond of recruitment. When I saw out of state sportscasters butter up Coach Graham in their comments, I could see the reason for his appeal out of state.

Timmy Chang is a question mark. He is similar to Rolovich. They are both young coaches and saw some success at UH as quarterbacks. Both struggled to hold their starting position. Both were benched. Both did not make it at the next level. We'll see. I am hopeful.

Arcumfortis
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Arcumfortis »

The TG era will undoubtedly be seen through different lenses and with different perspectives. The great majority of us fans will be left with less than complete information - and filling in the blanks might say more about our own biases than any comprehensive accounting of the truth. The one thing I can feel solid about is the inappropriateness of the legislature publicly grandstanding when all could have been handled more subtlety. This was damaging to the program, publicly shaming of TG, and certainly would have provided ammo to our recruiting rivals. I have hope for the future of UH football but a realistic caution about expecting too much in these first years. I think we all need to move on - but it pokes at us a bit when a major TG recruit like Shrager drops hints about then and now. It just stirs it all up again when it probably would be best to let it all go.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

The TG bandage cannot be viewed as an era. It lasted two years. The bandage produced an awesome win over Houston in the Hawaii Bowl...no...no...no... it delivered a victory in the other bowl. It delivered a formidable defense for two years. It struggled on offense but showed promise. The TG show was burdened by the ghosts of UH and ASU past. McMackin was the end of an era created by June Jones. McMackin fostered Rolovich and Aranda. Aranda exceeded all former Hawaii coaches after he was discarded with the Chow experiment. Rolovich was lucky. Still, he was a continuation of the program built by Jones and McMackin. It's a shame these program builds weren't allowed to pan out.

The appointment of Timmy Chang to the position of head coach is a humble, fresh beginning to a hopefully new beginning. I applaud all the players who committed to this program. I have admiration for the coaches who have undertaken this endeavor. It's a new day. Imua.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:20 am Being a moderator doesn’t mean I can’t post comments, take part in discussions or have opinions.
It's hard being physically close to the program and not being extra frustrated by what's gone on for the past two years... and then come on here and debate others who are further away and have a different "perspective". And you can't even reference some of what we hear or we'll get accused of spreading fake news or for perpetuating the "coconut wireless". Ultimately, the gross rationalization of TG's problems was too much for me and I had to step out of the conversation for a while.

With that said, I have heard that at least some of the influential people who were pushing for JJ to get the job have been very impressed by TC thus far and are very supportive of him. What impressed them most is the plans he has laid out for them in terms of building his staff, recruiting, and managing the challenges AND ADVANTAGES of being at UH, as well as his grasp of "fit" and the importance of culture.

Culture seems to be of importance to TC, just as it is important to players, both current and former. Even players who played for Tomey believe this. That's why I cannot comprehend those who rationalize TG's approach to team culture. Even prior to his hire, if you say anything about the candidates needing to have ties to the program, people come out with the pitchforks and accuse you of being small-minded. The path to coaching successfully at UH is different from every other school. You can be in denial of that, or you can accept reality and lean into it. TC is leaning all the way in, and that's a good thing.