*** Official New HC Timmy Chang Thread ***

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Re: *** Official New HC Timmy Chang Thread ***

Post by nostra_808 »

to those who question TC as head coach, you keep arguing that he is "not experienced enough" and/or "just a position coach"..... Let's compare this with another coach.....Chow has been coaching way longer(around 40 years before becoming HC for us) and had many years coaching as OC for championship teams. He check-marked, what seems to be your main requirements to be a Head Coach. How did that work out? just saying give TC a chance before you consider him a bust

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Eh...why Timmy kinda sound like TG?

Anyways, we got a RnS /Spread coach, someone that choose be a Rainbow Warrior he even after Lou Holtz visited him, threw for 17k yards and has been mentored by many successful coaches. Good luck to Touchdown Timmy.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Arcumfortis
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Arcumfortis »

I think we will get a preliminary glimpse of the future in two weeks when signing day arrives. Not only do you have to know how to coach and lead you have to know how to recruit. Timmie has a very short time to convince recruits to come on board. He will have to quickly assemble a credible staff to reassure recruits that they should come to HI and be coached by quality mentors. If we have a reasonable (it would be unrealistic to wish for great) recruiting class there is hope. If the class is a bust I think it will bode poorly for the future and redouble my concern that this is too much too soon for Timmie. He’s the coach now - I wish him well and he has my support - but I am worried that this is a big mistake. If I am wrong I will be the happiest wrong person in the 808.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Raudi wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:34 pm I guess that means I'm not getting the job. :-({|=
kinda rude that they didn't call to let you know

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

The die has been cast and Timmy is head coach. While I was leaning toward JJ, Timmy was offered and he accepted. Perhaps the offer to JJ was made in bad faith to ensure a rejection to open the path to offering Timmy, but that kind of thing is for the courts and JJ is better served by not blowing things up and cause all sorts of collateral damage. He said that he supports Timmy, so I expect him to not create any distraction.

I am excited for Timmy. He’ll need our support. Who will be on his staff? Abe and Jacob for continuity? How about Mark Banker if available? NLI day is coming up but you can sign players anytime during the NLI period. There are also a lot of players in the transfer portal to sift through, and late qualifiers and JC transfers. It’s gonna be an interesting ride.

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

Duster wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:46 pm The die has been cast and Timmy is head coach. While I was leaning toward JJ, Timmy was offered and he accepted. Perhaps the offer to JJ was made in bad faith to ensure a rejection to open the path to offering Timmy, but that kind of thing is for the courts and JJ is better served by not blowing things up and cause all sorts of collateral damage. He said that he supports Timmy, so I expect him to not create any distraction.

I am excited for Timmy. He’ll need our support. Who will be on his staff? Abe and Jacob for continuity? How about Mark Banker if available? NLI day is coming up but you can sign players anytime during the NLI period. There are also a lot of players in the transfer portal to sift through, and late qualifiers and JC transfers. It’s gonna be an interesting ride.
it could be made in bad faith, like someone in the other thread (or was it this thread, I forget) said that JJ wasn't liked in the athletic offices. His public image was a hero and savior to UH football, but maybe behind the scenes he was hard to work with. I did like the idea of JJ back but I'm intrigued to see what TC will do.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

This is not about Timmy not being anybody first choice or Timmy fault. Timmy should be able to the job eventually over time, since he is really new to head coaching. This is about how this whole situation was handled by Matin and the press conference the UH spokesman was something that will UH probably regret.

I don't think anybody has ill will towards Timmy Chang, but he is now the Head Coach and just like all other head coaches in football. Timmy is now front and center and will have to get up the mic and answer tough questions after losing game/s. Nobody wants to hear excuses in a press conference by a UH Spokesman about the stadium, transfer portal, recruiting woes because we are in the bottom 3 G5 conference MWC, lack of support, fans don't matter to the UH administration and all the other things.

This is something Matlin knew when he hired an inexperienced head coach and it's not personal against Timmy. Timmy boss Matlin and the UH administration has set the stage and now Timmy and Matlin will have to take the scrutiny being compared to June Jones coaching acumens. It could have been handled better by Matlin and the UH administration with June Jones, but it wasn't.

I will support Timmy Chang as Head Coach, not Matlin and the UH Administration, and no bleeding green money either. Matlin had set fire and burned the bridge with the many of the supporters. This situation could have been handled better by Matlin, it could have been win-win, but it wasn't.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

I’m so excited Timmy is the HC. He is the reason I became a fan of UH. The future is bright for the program, let’s leave the negativity of this off-season behind and support TC and these players!

Shoko
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Shoko »

I don't think recruiting will be that bad. Many recruits have crossed paths with Chang on the recruiting trail that are still eligible to play, and with the transfer portal a legit tool to use to recruit players now, it might be easy to rekindle those relationships. Remember these portal players are more developed and more experienced at their respective positions that paid for by another program.

Win-win

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

gpmcconnell wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:35 am I’m so excited Timmy is the HC. He is the reason I became a fan of UH. The future is bright for the program, let’s leave the negativity of this off-season behind and support TC and these players!
I agree with you with Timmy Chang and moving on. However, for us looonnnnngggg time (before Mr Timmy Chang) Warrior fans, this is heartbreaking—June should have been hired as the 10-50 meter target, with Timmy not far behind at a 100 meters. Your previous June Jones posts were all negative in nature.

I like your enthusiasm, but like David Matlin, you can’t see the forest from the trees.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

nostra_808 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:48 pm to those who question TC as head coach, you keep arguing that he is "not experienced enough" and/or "just a position coach"..... Let's compare this with another coach.....Chow has been coaching way longer(around 40 years before becoming HC for us) and had many years coaching as OC for championship teams. He check-marked, what seems to be your main requirements to be a Head Coach. How did that work out? just saying give TC a chance before you consider him a bust
I like Timmy but I think he is being given a raw deal. There are too many problems that will give even a veteran head coach headaches. Right now whoever takes the job will need to be able build something that is broken right now. He will not have the key returning starters who would have helped him in the rebuild of the team. I can only hope that he will be able to put together a competent coaching staff. I still haven’t heard what kind of defense he will be running? One of the keys to the run and shoot is having a defense that is able to get the ball back. A stout defense will be needed as it will take a while for the offense to get going. JJ used to say that it took a quarterback a season to learn his system. I can see why he went after Timmy at St. Louis. Timmy seems to be Matlin’s hail mary attempt to save his job. Whatever the outcome of this hire I still think that maybe UH should find a replacement for Matlin. They could always give him a 2 year job where he mentors the new incoming AD.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

Link

I am happy with Timmy. South park has a video dedicated to Timmy. Time to wait and see what he can do. I am not going to pre stress over the outcome. I welcome TIMMY!!!
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

202Warrior wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:57 am
gpmcconnell wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:35 am I’m so excited Timmy is the HC. He is the reason I became a fan of UH. The future is bright for the program, let’s leave the negativity of this off-season behind and support TC and these players!
I agree with you with Timmy Chang and moving on. However, for us looonnnnngggg time (before Mr Timmy Chang) Warrior fans, this is heartbreaking—June should have been hired as the 10-50 meter target, with Timmy not far behind at a 100 meters. Your previous June Jones posts were all negative in nature.

I like your enthusiasm, but like David Matlin, you can’t see the forest from the trees.
I wouldn’t say I was negative, I stated. my reasons for not wanting June Jones. And the way he handled this whole process proves me right.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

gpmcconnell wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:07 pm

I wouldn’t say I was negative, I stated. my reasons for not wanting June Jones. And the way he handled this whole process proves me right.
How he handle the situation? How exactly was he wrong? There’s an ugly, selfish side to college football. June has what we need today—experience, balls, and I’ll do it my way attitude. UH leadership did not want that because they do not understand what leadership looks like in D1 college football.

You were negative on all your posts. I may not agree with you on June Jones, but I do agree we need to support Timmy.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

gpmcconnell wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:07 pm

That doesn't prove a damn thing. It was Dan Mizenzahl who had zero integrity in (like you) harping on a narrative that June engaged in public campaign to get the job. That is a crock of ish. The MEDIA outlets broke the stories and it has been proven time and time again that JJ simply responded to what was being asked of him. Now you can fly your "See, I was right" flag all you want. But in the end, most posters on this forum can see right through your weak arguments. You didn't prove a damn thing other than your personal hatred of June Jones, your personal ire toward "you people" IE..local fans who love June Jones, and your unfettered need to tell everyone how right you are. Do I support the hire of Timmy Chang? Not yet. But I'll grow on me if they win. UH f'd up. And for they to have Mizenzal spew that level of BS was nothing short of chicken ish.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul