Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1482823967488372741

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Re: Timmy Chang Asked to Apply For HC Job?

Post by bigislandkurt »

He is not ready to be a head coach. He has not even been an OC yet. This hire is too important to roll the dice. I'd love to see him come home though....to June Jones' staff. But no way Hawaii will be able to pay him the asst. coach money he stems to get from CSU.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

bigislandkurt wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:10 pm He is not ready to be a head coach. He has not even been an OC yet. This hire is too important to roll the dice. I'd love to see him come home though....to June Jones' staff. But no way Hawaii will be able to pay him the asst. coach money he stems to get from CSU.
Total agreement. If he was Carson Strong's coach, maybe he'd be able to assist. I'd really like to see Bryant Moniz assist.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Plz don't reach in the bag of feel good moments. TC lacks the coaching experience by a mile to be considered a HC. Sorry guys but it's a silly idea. He's not Rolo and I leave it at that.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:25 pm Plz don't reach in the bag of feel good moments. TC lacks the coaching experience by a mile to be considered a HC. Sorry guys but it's a silly idea. He's not Rolo and I leave it at that.
TC has coached just two years less than Rolo did by the time he was hired as head coach at Hawaii. I have other reasons to not want TC hired as head coach at Hawaii now, but I think he's ready to be a HC somewhere. I like many others would want JJ and have him groom TC to be his successor in waiting in a few years.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:59 pm
Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:25 pm Plz don't reach in the bag of feel good moments. TC lacks the coaching experience by a mile to be considered a HC. Sorry guys but it's a silly idea. He's not Rolo and I leave it at that.
TC has coached just two years less than Rolo did by the time he was hired as head coach at Hawaii. I have other reasons to not want TC hired as head coach at Hawaii now, but I think he's ready to be a HC somewhere. I like many others would want JJ and have him groom TC to be his successor in waiting in a few years.
Rolo was a D1 OC from 2010-2105
Timmy was an OC at Jackson St 2014-2015 then OC at Emory & Henry 2016. Not quite comparable to the level of complexity that Rolo attained

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:08 pm
Rolo was a D1 OC from 2010-2105
Timmy was an OC at Jackson St 2014-2015 then OC at Emory & Henry 2016. Not quite comparable to the level of complexity that Rolo attained
Splitting hairs fine whatever. John Harbaugh was only a ST coach for better part of twenty years before he became head coach of the Ravens. Never a defensive or offensive coordinator. Not quite the same comparison but the point being if you're ready you're ready.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

bigislandkurt wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:10 pm He is not ready to be a head coach. He has not even been an OC yet. This hire is too important to roll the dice. I'd love to see him come home though....to June Jones' staff. But no way Hawaii will be able to pay him the asst. coach money he stems to get from CSU.
The best thing for him was to leave Hawaii. I recall he was getting into "trouble" after his playing days. He build a new life for him, his family, on the mainland. Pretty much half of his life is on the mainland now. Local ties may be as connected as Norm Chow. Like Niumatalolo, stay on the mainland. The grass is greener there.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Rolo was an OC...TC is just a position coach and OC at Cracker Jack U...huge difference in responsibilities.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

Some fans wanted Miano as head Coach when he hasn’t been a coordinator before. I think Timmy is up for the job. I will never understand the cult like following of Miano.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:15 pm
Rolo was an OC...TC is just a position coach and OC at Cracker Jack U...huge difference in responsibilities.
I wouldn't doubt that the person whispering to Matlin is Todd regarding this matter. He would like to be able to say that this program had problems in the future and we went 5-4 my first year and 6-7 the second. Now since they brought in their well respected QB, they went downhill but it wasn't his fault. He's got to help Bo out with his future and this is a great excuse.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:15 pm
Bruh I was just saying that Rolo had similar amount of years as TC currently has before he was named head coach. Its not that deep regardless if Rolo was an OC fora number of years and regardless if TC was an OC at "Cracker Jack U". Experience is experience.

Shogunate
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Shogunate »

Do we even know if Timmy put in his application?

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

What some are alluding to without saying it is "executive presence." It's that unmistakable leadership quality that some have - comfortably confident being out in front, instills trust, adaptable to a wide range of situations and people ... an "it" factor. JJ has it, Rolo has it; Tomey did as well, even Wags and Paul Johnson back in that era. Not Chow or Von Appen, who both seemed better suited to the upstairs coaching booth. TG has some of it, but his version of executive presence seems outdated and not adaptable to this place. To me, Timmy hasn't shown it thus far in interviews, etc. - he's best as an assistant.