All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Re: *** Official New HC Timmy Chang Thread ***

Post by ulua »

bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:54 pm
gpmcconnell wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:07 pm
202Warrior wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:57 am

I agree with you with Timmy Chang and moving on. However, for us looonnnnngggg time (before Mr Timmy Chang) Warrior fans, this is heartbreaking—June should have been hired as the 10-50 meter target, with Timmy not far behind at a 100 meters. Your previous June Jones posts were all negative in nature.

I like your enthusiasm, but like David Matlin, you can’t see the forest from the trees.
I wouldn’t say I was negative, I stated. my reasons for not wanting June Jones. And the way he handled this whole process proves me right.
That doesn't prove a damn thing. It was Dan Mizenzahl who had zero integrity in (like you) harping on a narrative that June engaged in public campaign to get the job. That is a crock of ish. The MEDIA outlets broke the stories and it has been proven time and time again that JJ simply responded to what was being asked of him. Now you can fly your "See, I was right" flag all you want. But in the end, most posters on this forum can see right through your weak arguments. You didn't prove a damn thing other than your personal hatred of June Jones, your personal ire toward "you people" IE..local fans who love June Jones, and your unfettered need to tell everyone how right you are. Do I support the hire of Timmy Chang? Not yet. But I'll grow on me if they win. UH f'd up. And for they to have Mizenzal spew that level of BS was nothing short of chicken ish.
Yup, plus uH may face legal actions on how they handled JJ interview
The University of Hawaii could face legal action because of the way it handled employment negotiations with football head coach applicant June Jones, attorney Michael Green said Saturday.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01 ... ball-team/

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorMojo
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by WarriorMojo »

People biotched that Matlin apparently DIDN'T consider TG's experience at ASU. But NOW but they biotch that Matlin apparently DID consider JJ's experience with ASU. I'm so confused.
UH Warrior fan for life, baby!

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

for good, bad or ugly, it's coach chang's team now. i do hope coach chang negotiated terms that at minimum gives him control over hiring assistants, awarding scholarships and recruiting players.

hope he didn't overlook negotiating for bonuses for himself and for the assistants for improving student/athlete graduation rates, increasing attendance at games, selling out stadium capacity, logo sales, season winning record, selection to a bowl game, winning a bowl game, national ranking, conference coach of the week, national coach of the week, conference coach of the year, national coach of the year, best conference improved season record and best national improved conference record. these little things that can boost base salaries of successful coaches are sometimes passed over in the excitement to be named to a head coach position for the first time.

it would be unfortunate if coach chang entered into an agreement with matlin without the services of a seasoned sports negotiator.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:07 pm

Link
St Louis had a long time QB coach back then. I forget this name. Was it Anthony Monthleigh? I'm spelling his name wrong.

Please refresh or correct my memory. I think he left St. Louis about 5 years ago.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

WarriorMojo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:29 pm People biotched that Matlin apparently DIDN'T consider TG's experience at ASU. But NOW but they biotch that Matlin apparently DID consider JJ's experience with ASU. I'm so confused.
Nope it doesn’t fit the narrative. There’s a June Jones obsession for some strange reason.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

ulua wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:25 pm
bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:54 pm
gpmcconnell wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:07 pm

I wouldn’t say I was negative, I stated. my reasons for not wanting June Jones. And the way he handled this whole process proves me right.
That doesn't prove a damn thing. It was Dan Mizenzahl who had zero integrity in (like you) harping on a narrative that June engaged in public campaign to get the job. That is a crock of ish. The MEDIA outlets broke the stories and it has been proven time and time again that JJ simply responded to what was being asked of him. Now you can fly your "See, I was right" flag all you want. But in the end, most posters on this forum can see right through your weak arguments. You didn't prove a damn thing other than your personal hatred of June Jones, your personal ire toward "you people" IE..local fans who love June Jones, and your unfettered need to tell everyone how right you are. Do I support the hire of Timmy Chang? Not yet. But I'll grow on me if they win. UH f'd up. And for they to have Mizenzal spew that level of BS was nothing short of chicken ish.
Yup, plus uH may face legal actions on how they handled JJ interview
The University of Hawaii could face legal action because of the way it handled employment negotiations with football head coach applicant June Jones, attorney Michael Green said Saturday.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01 ... ball-team/
Man, June Jones really loves UH. First he publicly lobbied for the job putting the AD in a tough position. Then he embarrasses UH by publicly declining the job and going to twitter. And now he is looking into legal action…..

HawaiiToNIU
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiToNIU »

gpmcconnell wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:52 am
WarriorMojo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:29 pm People biotched that Matlin apparently DIDN'T consider TG's experience at ASU. But NOW but they biotch that Matlin apparently DID consider JJ's experience with ASU. I'm so confused.
Nope it doesn’t fit the narrative. There’s a June Jones obsession for some strange reason.
A strange reason like the Sugar Bowl? Or being Hawaii's most successful coach ever?

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

HawaiiToNIU wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:58 am
A strange reason like the Sugar Bowl? Or being Hawaii's most successful coach ever?
Did that guy become a fan in 2020 or something?? lol
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

https://arizonasports.com/story/138543/ ... treatment/

"How do you offer a job to a man, only to pull it back,
citing “background issues”? Isn’t checking a candidate’s
background one of the first things you do when hiring for
any position?"

Jones did not work out, so ASU hired Todd Graham. Did they check background issues on both men? What did ASU found?

If ASU known about Graham's issues, was it less severe than Jones to offer the job to Graham?

Funny how both men are rather connected. I'm sure the two ADs must have shared their background intel. Maybe the story is bigger than it is. If this blows up any further, it would be interesting, or really ugly like we have not seen in sports.

Todd Graham walked away again. Maybe Jones should too. There's got to be "something" that's not good about all of this, and maybe we should NOT know..

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

Sugar bowl was in 2007, he left for SMU. At SMU he was 36-43. Then he resigned in 2014 after 2 games for person issues and then team went 1-11. He also tried to leave for Arizona state but they pulled the offer.

So he hasn’t coached college since 2014. Call me insane but I didn’t want a 70 year old coach who hasn’t been in college football in 10 years.

Arcumfortis
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Arcumfortis »

My hope is that TC can offer a role to JJ with the team and he accepts. If JJ is not too soured with UH to even consider it and if UH is not to soured with JJ to allow it I think it could work. There comes a time in life when you want to step back from the day to day details of running a program and just focus on what you want to do. The HC has many admin hassles to deal with on an ongoing basis. JJ is now an elder - he should have a role as an elder - an adviser - a football wise man who can mentor TC and have the freedom to creatively develop offensive schemes that will shread defenses - and not spend his time worried about day to day running of a program. We have been through a messy time and it’s now time to heal and move ahead. It would be a great loss to the program if there is not an emeritus role for JJ. In my view that is the right role for him and I hope there is enough wisdom and maturity all around to make it happen.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

gpmcconnell wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:46 am

Sugar bowl was in 2007, he left for SMU. At SMU he was 36-43. Then he resigned in 2014 after 2 games for person issues and then team went 1-11. He also tried to leave for Arizona state but they pulled the offer.

So he hasn’t coached college since 2014. Call me insane but I didn’t want a 70 year old coach who hasn’t been in college football in 10 years.
Didn't want an HC who was never a coordinator at a P5 orG6 school.
ImageImage

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

Irse wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:48 am

Didn't want an HC who was never a coordinator at a P5 orG6 school.
Very fair point. I don’t think many p5 or G6 coordinators were interested given the state of the program/ facilities.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

We get it—you are not insane. You simply don’t like June Jones. Your issue is simple. You refuse to see the upside to June Jones. Upside is a relative term. Love or hate June…he will sell tickets, recruit the best we can get, and bring instant credibility.

Let me ask you this…do you think Nick Saban plays by the rules?