Nick Mardner commits to Auburn

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Mardner out...

Post by poidog »

bigislandkurt wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:23 am He had size, length and speed. But above average hands at best.
that's it? What the hell else do you need from a scholarship WR?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

bigislandkurt wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:23 am good luck to him and mahalo for his contributions. But seriously, it's not we are loosing Ashley Lelie or Jason Rivers here. He had size, length and speed. But above average hands at best. As I had shared in past posts, Mardner was not all that people tried to build him up to be. The catches he made almost always had to be perfect passes laid precisely in his hands. Hard catches were certainly not part of Mardner's forte. He did have a few bright moments, I'll give that up to him. But Maybe I'm just spoiled with receivers of UH past.
I was thinking he could be at least like Marcus Kemp.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

somewhat related, but WR coach Marcus Davis just left.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:17 pm
bigislandkurt wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:23 am good luck to him and mahalo for his contributions. But seriously, it's not we are loosing Ashley Lelie or Jason Rivers here. He had size, length and speed. But above average hands at best. As I had shared in past posts, Mardner was not all that people tried to build him up to be. The catches he made almost always had to be perfect passes laid precisely in his hands. Hard catches were certainly not part of Mardner's forte. He did have a few bright moments, I'll give that up to him. But Maybe I'm just spoiled with receivers of UH past.
At least like 5 year NFL veteran Marcus Kemp. At least...

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:42 pm
At least like 5 year NFL veteran Marcus Kemp. At least...
What?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Mardner is no where near Marcus Kemp. Other than height, I don't make the connection. When you need a catch, you can't bet on Mardner.

Sure, Mardner made some awesome (game winning) catches. Outside of that, I recall a lot of dropped balls.

We can blame Bo. We can blame CC. But at the end of the day, a lot of the passes were on Mardner.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:00 pm

Mardner is no where near Marcus Kemp. Other than height, I don't make the connection. When you need a catch, you can't bet on Mardner.

Sure, Mardner made some awesome (game winning) catches. Outside of that, I recall a lot of dropped balls.

We can blame Bo. We can blame CC. But at the end of the day, a lot of the passes were on Mardner.
I know I was just saying I hoped he would've developed into something to the level of Marcus Kemp since they have very similar physical measurables. I wouldn't have compared Mardner to other former UH receivers like Rivers or Lelie.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/NMardner/status/1480711595332448257

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

You guys are tripping. Mardner was all that.
Mardner totaled 46 receptions for team highs of 913 yards and five touchdowns at Hawaii in 2021. His robust 19.9 yards per catch average ranked second in the Mountain West Conference and 10th in the nation. He had three 100-yard games this fall, including a six-catch, 110-yard, one-touchdown performance against Oregon State and a 139-yard outing versus UNLV. Mardner also had a 147-yard game in 2020.

"We are excited to have Nick join our Cincinnati family," Fickell said. "Nick will immediately be a great addition to our wide receivers' room, adding competition and veteran leadership. He has plenty of experience playing at Hawaii and is a proven big-play threat with outstanding ball skills and speed to match. I can't wait to watch him get on the field this spring."

A native of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, Mardner attended Clarkson Secondary School and enrolled at Hawaii in 2018 where he redshirted his first season. From 2019 to 2021, he tallied 62 receptions for 1,270 yards and eight touchdowns with an impressive 20.5 yard per catch average for his career with the Rainbow Warriors.
https://gobearcats.com/news/2022/1/12/f ... rdner.aspx

The Bearcats were a contender for the NC this year. They've been something like that for years. Mardner's the real deal. I've called this one for years now.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:12 am You guys are tripping. Mardner was all that.
Mardner totaled 46 receptions for team highs of 913 yards and five touchdowns at Hawaii in 2021. His robust 19.9 yards per catch average ranked second in the Mountain West Conference and 10th in the nation. He had three 100-yard games this fall, including a six-catch, 110-yard, one-touchdown performance against Oregon State and a 139-yard outing versus UNLV. Mardner also had a 147-yard game in 2020.

"We are excited to have Nick join our Cincinnati family," Fickell said. "Nick will immediately be a great addition to our wide receivers' room, adding competition and veteran leadership. He has plenty of experience playing at Hawaii and is a proven big-play threat with outstanding ball skills and speed to match. I can't wait to watch him get on the field this spring."

A native of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, Mardner attended Clarkson Secondary School and enrolled at Hawaii in 2018 where he redshirted his first season. From 2019 to 2021, he tallied 62 receptions for 1,270 yards and eight touchdowns with an impressive 20.5 yard per catch average for his career with the Rainbow Warriors.

The Bearcats were a contender for the NC this year. They've been something like that for years. Mardner's the real deal. I've called this one for years now.
Was really hard to judge how good Mardner was with the QB play.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:39 am
SundayJam wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:12 am You guys are tripping. Mardner was all that.

We had a defensive guru in Graham with an unproven, Canadian offensive player recruited by a teddy bear. Dude could ball. QB has been an issue for many years. New quarterback last year...new system...new replacement this year at quarterback due to injury...means phenom doesn't shine. Phenom leaves for greener pastures. Did coach hate on said player? I don't know. I can't imagine why he would. Bearcats!? I hope he shines.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:08 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:39 am

We had a defensive guru in Graham with an unproven, Canadian offensive player recruited by a teddy bear. Dude could ball. QB has been an issue for many years. New quarterback last year...new system...new replacement this year at quarterback due to injury...means phenom doesn't shine. Phenom leaves for greener pastures. Did coach hate on said player? I don't know. I can't imagine why he would. Bearcats!? I hope he shines.
I get what you saying, but what I saw was a seemingly physically gifted receiver not haul in the contested balls. Maybe with a quarterback who puts the ball where it’s supposed to be we can see what Mardner can do. Also I don’t think Mardner left solely cause of Graham, I think he left cause of issues on the offensive side with both quarterbacks Chevan and Brayden performance and of course Bo.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:39 am I get what you saying, but what I saw was a seemingly physically gifted receiver not haul in the contested balls. Maybe with a quarterback who puts the ball where it’s supposed to be we can see what Mardner can do. Also I don’t think Mardner left solely cause of Graham, I think he left cause of issues on the offensive side with both quarterbacks Chevan and Brayden performance and of course Bo.
Dude is promising. I wish him the best. We can't afford the best...and yet we had this guy and this coach. It's too bad social distancing matched with social media along with shitty fans...and fan experience ruined this potentially beautiful revenge on ASU!!!

BigWave96744

Re: Nick Mardner transfers to Cincinnati

Post by BigWave96744 »

Wish he stayed at Hawaii. In 12 games he only had 19 catches for 218 yards and 3 TD.

Now his head coach is leaving for Wisconsin and looking to take some of his staff with him. Wish he stayed at Hawaii https://twitter.com/BadgerFootball/status/1597002400203612160

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Nick Mardner transfers to Cincinnati

Post by Irse »

Should have stayed. At least he's closer to home.
ImageImage