Hawaii's Dysfunctional Divisions

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Hawaii's Dysfunctional Divisions

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Yep. Saints win the deciding set, 25-19. Seems the Jr Bows should shoulder some of the blame. Going into this championship match, they were undefeated, while the Saints had two losses. What happened? God only knows.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

locomoko wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:18 pm Another year, another round of sandbagging success for the Crusaders!

St. Louis Volleyball will play in the Div. 2 State Championship Match tomorrow night. They're led by Div. 1 State Basketball Champion & Player of the Year, Pupualii Sepulona. If a school can field Open Football and win the highest level of Basketball, there's zero justification for that school being in Div. 2 for volleyball. Go University High - win the championship and prevent an injustice.
How do you feel about Damien baseball, which has won two consecutive D2 titles and likely benefitted massively from playing us as well as MPI, KSK, Iolani, and St. Louis in the regular season?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:00 pm
locomoko wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:18 pm Another year, another round of sandbagging success for the Crusaders!

St. Louis Volleyball will play in the Div. 2 State Championship Match tomorrow night. They're led by Div. 1 State Basketball Champion & Player of the Year, Pupualii Sepulona. If a school can field Open Football and win the highest level of Basketball, there's zero justification for that school being in Div. 2 for volleyball. Go University High - win the championship and prevent an injustice.
How do you feel about Damien baseball, which has won two consecutive D2 titles and likely benefitted massively from playing us as well as MPI, KSK, Iolani, and St. Louis in the regular season?
Is there a reason why Damien is the only ILH team in D2 for baseball? I think even Pac-5 is D1, and they hardly win at all. Maybe Pac-5 should move down to D2, and compete with Damien for the state playoff berth.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:26 pm

Is there a reason why Damien is the only ILH team in D2 for baseball? I think even Pac-5 is D1, and they hardly win at all. Maybe Pac-5 should move down to D2, and compete with Damien for the state playoff berth.
Don’t forget Maryknoll. Only five ILH teams really don’t belong in D2 for baseball.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

locomoko wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:18 pm
Good point - under the rule I've been advocating (and someone else identified as "the Dayton Rule"), Damien should either upgrade their sports to match their football as D1, or downgrade their football to D2 and keep the other sports D2.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

locomoko wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:45 pm
Good point - under the rule I've been advocating (and someone else identified as "the Dayton Rule"), Damien should either upgrade their sports to match their football as D1, or downgrade their football to D2 and keep the other sports D2.
The surprising thing about Damien is their boys programs don’t seem to have suffered despite the school’s inclusion of girls. If anything, their FB and boys BB teams took a step back because of coaching changes a couple of years ago.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

locomoko wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:45 pm
It was me that mentioned the Dayton Rule. It was because Dayton was decent at men's basketball at the D1 level, making the NCAA tournament several times, but their other sports were all D3.

I think the school themselves is allowed to declare what level each sport plays at, it's not the ILH administration? St Louis just won the boys volleyball title at the D2 level, and most of their sports are in D1.

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Walkoff Balk »

Punahou and St.Louis winning high school boy's volleyball titles aren't "Chicken Skin" stories. They're "Hog Cheese" stories.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Walkoff Balk wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:04 pm Punahou and St.Louis winning high school boy's volleyball titles aren't "Chicken Skin" stories. They're "Hog Cheese" stories.
As a Punahou supporter, I love that this team’s players didn’t become the school’s first team since 2011 that didn’t win states. I also love that we didn’t break and let our previous struggles this season cripple us. However, I understand the way non-Punahou fans of boys volleyball feel. This year’s team might be the boys volleyball equivalent of St. Louis’s 1993 FB team, by far the weakest of the ones that won all of those Prep Bowls and state champions. I think Kamehameha supporters—those who watch boys volleyball—must feel some deja vu if they followed the school’s FB team in the late 90s and early 2000s, when they always finished just behind St. Louis, even in years when they seemingly fielded better teams than SLS did but couldn’t seal the deal and beat them when it counted.

As for St. Louis’s boys VB team, I don’t think it’ll generate enough complaints until they win as much as Iolani’s FB team did in D2, where they didn’t belong.

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Walkoff Balk »

Kamehameha defeating Punahou in girl's water polo isn't exactly a Cinderella story when it's another private school that beats them. But, Punahou has to lose once in awhile to humble themselves.