Hawaii's Dysfunctional Divisions

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Hawaii's Dysfunctional Divisions

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:38 pm
locomoko wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:12 pm I realize I'm a broken record on this, but St. Louis re-opened the door with their full-page ad in this past Sunday paper, lower left corner:
"CRUSADERS ILH TRIPLE CROWN PLUS: 2021 Football, 2021 Bowling, 2022 Basketball, 2022 Baseball, 2022 DII Volleyball"
In the immortal words of Sesame Street, "one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong."
At least they mention that they won D2 in VB. Iolani brags about winning state championships in FB, as if they are the best team in the state. You also sound more bitter about St. Louis playing in D2 for VB than any Iolani detractor did because of their presence in D2 in FB. At least St. Louis won't write an article in its school bulletin complaining about people that've criticized them for their presence in D2 for VB, as Iolani did in its school bulletin.
@gopunahou:

I think that that ad is rubbing salt into wounds. St Louis School has opened a Pandora's box; they've found a way to make the school very unpopular now.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

"At least they mention that they won D2 in VB."

@gopunahou - your school's alumni should be pissed that they're calling themselves D2 champs. Punahou's D2 had the best regular-season record and beat St. Louis both times. St. Louis won the D2 tournament that Punahou wasn't eligible to play in. So maybe they should be calling themselves "D2 Tournament Champs"?

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

You also sound more bitter about St. Louis playing in D2 for VB than any Iolani detractor did because of their presence in D2 in FB. At least St. Louis won't write an article in its school bulletin complaining about people that've criticized them for their presence in D2 for VB, as Iolani did in its school bulletin.
@gopunahou:
I get your hatred of `Iolani, and I won't debate that other than to note they are now D1 in all sports. My frustration is because of the legit D2 schools who are deprived opportunities to play in a state tournament (volleyball and some in soccer): Damien, Hanalani, University High (and Le Jardin who went to states but likely would be the "D2 Champs" seeded team if not for the Crusaders playing down). Also I have huge respect for HBA (vball) and MPI (vball & soccer) who could dominate in D2 but choose to compete at D1 with fewer state berths available than if St. Louis played at the right level for a Triple Crown Plus winner.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

locomoko wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:25 pm "At least they mention that they won D2 in VB."

@gopunahou - your school's alumni should be pissed that they're calling themselves D2 champs. Punahou's D2 had the best regular-season record and beat St. Louis both times. St. Louis won the D2 tournament that Punahou wasn't eligible to play in. So maybe they should be calling themselves "D2 Tournament Champs"?
@locomoko:

I give you credit for going to bat for Punahou School. I don't particularly care for St Louis School, but I dislike Punahou School even more. It's clear that you're a better person than I am. Unless, you dislike St Louis School more than you dislike Punahou School?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

locomoko wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:36 pm
You also sound more bitter about St. Louis playing in D2 for VB than any Iolani detractor did because of their presence in D2 in FB. At least St. Louis won't write an article in its school bulletin complaining about people that've criticized them for their presence in D2 for VB, as Iolani did in its school bulletin.
@gopunahou:
I get your hatred of `Iolani, and I won't debate that other than to note they are now D1 in all sports. My frustration is because of the legit D2 schools who are deprived opportunities to play in a state tournament (volleyball and some in soccer): Damien, Hanalani, University High (and Le Jardin who went to states but likely would be the "D2 Champs" seeded team if not for the Crusaders playing down). Also I have huge respect for HBA (vball) and MPI (vball & soccer) who could dominate in D2 but choose to compete at D1 with fewer state berths available than if St. Louis played at the right level for a Triple Crown Plus winner.
@locomoko:

I try not to let myself hate a high school, because to me, that's like hating kids; high school students are teenage kids. But, there may very well be some degree of hatred between Punahou School and Iolani School. I had a colleague who's an '80 Iolani alumnus, and he told me that when he was a student there, there was actually hatred towards Punahou School. Now, that was a long time ago; 42 years. But, is there any reason to believe things have changed? That Iolani alumnus is another of my former colleagues who expressed hatred of Punahou School; the other is an '88 Mililani alumnus. As for myself, I refuse to hate Punahou School; I certainly dislike them, but I refuse to hate them. I'm not going to allow myself to hate on teenage kids; I don't want to go down that road.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:33 pm
@gopunahou:
@locomoko:

I try not to let myself hate a high school, because to me, that's like hating kids; high school students are teenage kids. But, there may very well be some degree of hatred between Punahou School and Iolani School. I had a colleague who's an '80 Iolani alumnus, and he told me that when he was a student there, there was actually hatred towards Punahou School. Now, that was a long time ago; 42 years. But, is there any reason to believe things have changed? That Iolani alumnus is another of my former colleagues who expressed hatred of Punahou School; the other is an '88 Mililani alumnus. As for myself, I refuse to hate Punahou School; I certainly dislike them, but I refuse to hate them. I'm not going to allow myself to hate on teenage kids; I don't want to go down that road.
There was also a rivalry between Punahou and Roosevelt a long time ago, that involved students from each school pulling pranks on the other. Things like painting the dome of one of Punahou's buildings, and graffiti on the cars and buses. It was called the Paint Brush rivalry, before Roosevelt joined the OIA.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

@gopunahou:
I don’t hate Iolani. I hate people that give the school a bad name with their warped opinions.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:39 pm

@gopunahou:
@locomoko:

There was also a rivalry between Punahou and Roosevelt a long time ago, that involved students from each school pulling pranks on the other. Things like painting the dome of one of Punahou's buildings, and graffiti on the cars and buses. It was called the Paint Brush rivalry, before Roosevelt joined the OIA.
@ChadFukuoka:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, it was Punahou School students who would paint the dome at Roosevelt High. That dome has alternating triangles of red and yellow, representing that school's colors. (Roosevelt's colors are actually red and gold, but gold paint wasn't readily available. We're talking canned paint, not spray paint.) I think the Punahou students painted the red triangles blue, to reflect Punahou's colors. (Punahou's colors are actually blue and buff, but yellow is close enough to buff.) In retaliation, I think Roosevelt High students painted Punahou's football field with red and yellow paint, as I don't think Punahou School had a dome. I think this "paint rivalry" ended no later than the early-'70s.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:35 pm
@gopunahou:
I don’t hate Iolani. I hate people that give the school a bad name with their warped opinions.
@gopunahou:

Well, as I had mentioned in my earlier post, many Iolani School students hated Punahou School back in the late-'70s. I find it hard to believe that Punahou School students didn't hate Iolani School in return, during that period. If I'm not mistaken, you graduated after that, right? Perhaps in the '90s?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:30 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:39 pm

@locomoko:

@ChadFukuoka:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, it was Punahou School students who would paint the dome at Roosevelt High. That dome has alternating triangles of red and yellow, representing that school's colors. (Roosevelt's colors are actually red and gold, but gold paint wasn't readily available. We're talking canned paint, not spray paint.) I think the Punahou students painted the red triangles blue, to reflect Punahou's colors. (Punahou's colors are actually blue and buff, but yellow is close enough to buff.) In retaliation, I think Roosevelt High students painted Punahou's football field with red and yellow paint, as I don't think Punahou School had a dome. I think this "paint rivalry" ended no later than the early-'70s.
This old archived article says otherwise, from Punahou's archives.

https://www.punahou.edu/50-objects-detail?pk=159225

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Didn't even know such an archive existed. I posted what the scuttlebutt was in "the old days."

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

Congratulations to Pac-5 Girls Soccer for winning back-to-back D2 State titles. Outscored their opponents in States by a 19-0 margin.

I realize Pac-5 has to overcome many obstacles just to field a team. But it can't feel great for neighbor island schools like Kauai HS and Kapaa HS to get beaten in the state semis and final by a conglomerate of smaller Oahu private schools (two years in a row).

Time for a bump up to D1, Pac-5?

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

Another year, another round of sandbagging success for the Crusaders!

St. Louis Volleyball will play in the Div. 2 State Championship Match tomorrow night. They're led by Div. 1 State Basketball Champion & Player of the Year, Pupualii Sepulona. If a school can field Open Football and win the highest level of Basketball, there's zero justification for that school being in Div. 2 for volleyball. Go University High - win the championship and prevent an injustice.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

locomoko wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:18 pm Another year, another round of sandbagging success for the Crusaders!

St. Louis Volleyball will play in the Div. 2 State Championship Match tomorrow night. They're led by Div. 1 State Basketball Champion & Player of the Year, Pupualii Sepulona. If a school can field Open Football and win the highest level of Basketball, there's zero justification for that school being in Div. 2 for volleyball. Go University High - win the championship and prevent an injustice.
@locomoko:

Well, I'm with you. I'd rather have University Lab than St Louis School. But, it looks like the Saints are just seconds away from winning the D2 state title, 3-1.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

It's now match point, Saints.