Hawaii's Dysfunctional Divisions

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Hawaii's Dysfunctional Divisions

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@bow89:

Perhaps, but right now it's St Louis' turn to make the move up to D1 volleyball.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:27 am @locomoko:

So, there's a possibility that St Louis will take State titles in both D1 baseball (they beat Pearl City yesterday, and therefore advance) and D2 volleyball. If they take the D2 volleyball title, there should be an asterisk next to it, saying, "Sandbag Special". Guys who aren't St Louis alumni might very well resent that school.
You'll be pleased to know Waiakea just defeated St Louis 5-4, in the baseball state semifinal. I'm gutted for Nanakuli, they lost in the D2 semifinal 3-2, allowing all 3 runs in the 7th inning against Waimea. Nanakuli also lost their boys volleyball D2 semifinal to Seabury Hall, after winning the first 2 sets, then losing the last 3. I was hoping Nanakuli could win either D2 championship, they never seem to be in the spotlight and seem to be invisible at times. You never hear them being talked about in anything.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Yes, I'm glad Waiakea won, as I prefer Waiakea High to St Louis School. I think St Louis lost the game on pitching. St Louis pitching surrendered 11 hits, while Waiakea pitching surrendered 5. It wasn't D that was the deciding factor; both schools had 1 error apiece. On the whole, most guys would say St Louis is probably the better team, but they weren't the better team tonight. Tonight, again, I think St Louis pitching lost the game. It's kind of surprising the game was that close, when you consider that Waiakea had more than twice as many hits.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri May 06, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

bow89 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:18 am I'm pretty sure each of those schools won state titles in D2 before moving up to D1. MPI soccer, Maryknoll baseball, HBA volleyball.
After winning tons of state titles in Open football, D1 basketball, baseball and non-divisional wrestling, air riflery, bowling, etc., nobody can reasonably say St. Louis belongs in D2 for any sport until they win a D2 state title in that sport.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@locomoko:

Well, like you had said in your earlier post: As far as volleyball is concerned, St Louis has no business hiding behind D2. They need to get-up into D1, where they belong.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:18 pm

So, there's a possibility that St Louis will take State titles in both D1 baseball (they beat Pearl City yesterday, and therefore advance) and D2 volleyball. If they take the D2 volleyball title, there should be an asterisk next to it, saying, "Sandbag Special". Guys who aren't St Louis alumni might very well resent that school.
You'll be pleased to know Waiakea just defeated St Louis 5-4, in the baseball state semifinal. I'm gutted for Nanakuli, they lost in the D2 semifinal 3-2, allowing all 3 runs in the 7th inning against Waimea. Nanakuli also lost their boys volleyball D2 semifinal to Seabury Hall, after winning the first 2 sets, then losing the last 3. I was hoping Nanakuli could win either D2 championship, they never seem to be in the spotlight and seem to be invisible at times. You never hear them being talked about in anything.
@ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, I too would have preferred Nanakuli won both the baseball game and the volleyball match. But, at least they had gone this deep in both State tourneys. Even with those losses, I'd say this is the best year Nanakuli High has had in sports, ever. It was the banner year in sports for them. Nanakuli alumni should stand tall. If there were an award for, "Most improved school in sports overall", Nanakuli would win it hands down. It would be a no-brainer. This year, it seemed that every time you turned around, Nanakuli was winning a game or a match in some sport.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri May 06, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:35 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:18 pm

@ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, I too would have preferred Nanakuli won both the baseball game and the volleyball match. But, at least they had gone this deep in both State tourneys. Even with those losses, I'd say this is the best year Nanakuli High has had in sports, ever. It was the banner year in sports for them. Nanakuli alumni should stand tall.
They at least won both OIA D2 titles. I'd say Nanakuli and Waialua are the two most "invisible" teams on Oahu. Every other school you could say they are good or have been historically good at something. I can't really think of any sport that either of those schools have been truly successful in. I also believe they are in the shadows of the larger school next to them, Kahuku in Waialua's case, and Waianae in Nanakuli's case.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Actually, I think there's one school that's even more "invisible" than Nanakuli or Waialua: McKinley. I mean, that school has been taking a beating, not only this year, but for I'd say the past five years. I have to believe McKinley alumni are pissed about it. Seems the only two sports McKinley has been reasonably decent in are boys' basketball and girls' tennis. And you know, very few guys follow girls' tennis.

And, I definitely agree that for years, Nanakuli had been languishing in the shadow of "big brother" Waianae, and Waialua had been languishing in the shadow of "big brother" Kahuku. Especially, Waialua. I mean, Kahuku football is usually kicking butt left and right, and in the very top division. Waialua football has been kind of cowering in the corner. I mean, let's be frank: They can't hold a candle to Kahuku football. It's hard for Waialua to get-out from under Kahuku, you know?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:53 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Actually, I think there's one school that's even more "invisible" than Nanakuli or Waialua: McKinley. I mean, that school has been taking a beating, not only this year, but for I'd say the past five years. I have to believe McKinley alumni are pissed about it. Seems the only two sports McKinley has been reasonably decent in are boys' basketball and girls' tennis. And you know, very few guys follow girls' tennis.
In McKinley's case, for the higher profile sports like football, basketball, and baseball, I'd imagine a lot of their athletes are recruited away to private schools. You said many times how St Louis recruits football players away from McKinley. So they are living in the shadows and territory of private schools nearby.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, it had always been the case that nearby private schools take players from McKinley. But, that applies mostly to football only. That's because--for decades--McKinley High has had a gold mine of football talent in its school district: MWH. But, MWH isn't really that much of a gold mine when it comes to basketball or baseball talent. Nonetheless, McKinley High was stronger in sports overall during the early-2000s than they are now.

bow89
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bow89 »

locomoko wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:28 pm
bow89 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:18 am I'm pretty sure each of those schools won state titles in D2 before moving up to D1. MPI soccer, Maryknoll baseball, HBA volleyball.
After winning tons of state titles in Open football, D1 basketball, baseball and non-divisional wrestling, air riflery, bowling, etc., nobody can reasonably say St. Louis belongs in D2 for any sport until they win a D2 state title in that sport.
I guess your just going to have to complain another year. I don't see them moving up until they win a state title or constantly win the ILH.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@bow89:

I think guys might be OK with it for now, since they didn't win D2 States. But, it may eventually get to the point where they'll be forced to move-up to D1, just as Iolani was forced to move-up to D1 in football. Kind of makes you wonder whether St Louis' volleyball team feels somewhat "conspicuous" at matches. Like, do they get the feeling that the opposing school is thinking, "What are you guys doing here in D2?"

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

I realize I'm a broken record on this, but St. Louis re-opened the door with their full-page ad in this past Sunday paper, lower left corner:
"CRUSADERS ILH TRIPLE CROWN PLUS: 2021 Football, 2021 Bowling, 2022 Basketball, 2022 Baseball, 2022 DII Volleyball"
In the immortal words of Sesame Street, "one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong."

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

locomoko wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:12 pm I realize I'm a broken record on this, but St. Louis re-opened the door with their full-page ad in this past Sunday paper, lower left corner:
"CRUSADERS ILH TRIPLE CROWN PLUS: 2021 Football, 2021 Bowling, 2022 Basketball, 2022 Baseball, 2022 DII Volleyball"
In the immortal words of Sesame Street, "one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong."
At least they mention that they won D2 in VB. Iolani brags about winning state championships in FB, as if they are the best team in the state. You also sound more bitter about St. Louis playing in D2 for VB than any Iolani detractor did because of their presence in D2 in FB. At least St. Louis won't write an article in its school bulletin complaining about people that've criticized them for their presence in D2 for VB, as Iolani did in its school bulletin.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

locomoko wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:12 pm I realize I'm a broken record on this, but St. Louis re-opened the door with their full-page ad in this past Sunday paper, lower left corner:
@locomoko:

I think lots of guys who aren't St Louis alumni are already pissed about the Saints taking the ILH "triple crown" (football, basketball, baseball). The full-page ad trumpeting that and more, is certain to get St Louis School on a lot of guys' s**t lists. Now it's like, "I already resent what that school won, but now that they're bragging about it in an ad, they're on my s**t list."