University of Hawaii's football team is miserable. Players say the culprit is head coach Todd Graham.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

University of Hawaii's football team is miserable. Players say the culprit is head coach Todd Graham.

Post by uhwarriors »

This article written by a San Francisco writer explains what's going on and why there are so many transfers.

Full article:
https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/ar ... 670501.php

Some excerpts:
As one current player told SFGATE, “A lot of players want him fired, especially the starters.”
Graham is a known disciplinarian, including at his previous head coaching stints with Rice, Tulsa, Pittsburgh and Arizona State. Several Hawaii players said they believe Graham’s approach has consistently crossed the line in terms of decency and respect. One player told SFGATE, “I would go as far to say it’s verbal abuse the way he talks to guys. … It’s personal. It’s not like, ‘Oh, you need to be faster.’ He’s calling guys useless, jackass and a sack of s—t.”

Another player reiterated to SFGATE that Graham insults his players constantly, reportedly calling players “dogs—t,” among other demeaning terms. Multiple players also said Graham constantly threatens to take away playing time from anyone who questions him. One player recalled Graham telling a teammate to “stop talking back or I’m going to take away your senior year.”
Players who spoke to SFGATE said Graham does not care about their well-being unless they are regular contributors. Some of his slights are reportedly subtle: only having scholarship and first-team players over to his house, several players allege, as well as only acknowledging first-team players in the locker room.
Meanwhile, according to multiple players, Graham’s own future aspirations are abundantly clear. They recall different instances when Graham had openly discussed his aspirations to leave Hawaii for the NFL. “He basically kept telling us he’s using us as a stepping stone,” as one player put it.

Said another player, “I see why he wants the bowl game so bad. It ain’t for the seniors. It ain’t for Hawaii. It’s for his reputation and the extra bowl game check.” (Graham will receive a $20,000 bonus for participating in the Hawaii Bowl. If Hawaii wins the game, he will receive an additional $40,000.)
One player who has not entered the transfer portal told SFGATE, “I’m probably not coming back this year because [Graham] has three more years. … It’s not like we have the money to buy him out.” Another player said, “Most of the freshmen are either quitting or trying to transfer.”

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: University of Hawaii's football team is miserable. Players say the culprit is head coach Todd Graham.

Post by Irse »

Not a good look on the program.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: University of Hawaii's football team is miserable. Players say the culprit is head coach Todd Graham.

Post by poidog »

anxiously awaiting the excuses and rationalizations for what's written there. you'd think that for a guy who's always wearing a cross and praising god and leading post-game prayers on the field that it wouldn't be so hard to find someone to speak good about him.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

Let’s see what type of action will take place by the AD and the powers that be. Like it was mentioned above this has gone public and does not look good on UH and the Football program.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Irse wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:43 pm Not a good look on the program.
Policy of the paper re: anonymous sources:

Attributing facts to anonymous sources must be extremely rare and occur only
when all other on-the-record options have been exhausted. The decision to use a
confidential source can diminish the credibility of the story and the news
organization, and, as appropriate, we should explain to readers why we are
relying on anonymous sources. Editors should consult with legal counsel as
appropriate.
Anonymity should be granted sparingly and only in cases where 1) the source
has a reasonable basis to fear retaliation or other adverse consequences from
speaking out; 2) the information the source will convey is significant; and 3) there
is no other way to obtain it. Never allow a source to use the cloak of anonymity to
disparage others or to express political opinions.

In my mind, this story is suspect without names behind the sources. We don't know who is saying what. This is just gossip by some disgruntled players at this point. Gossip from disgruntled people is often full of hyperbole and half truths if true at all. Show me more than gossip. This kind of wack job was pulled on one of the most successful coaches in the history of the program. I was not part of it before and I am not participating in this this time.
Last edited by UnBiasFan on Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

National media noticing.
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1467969751183888389

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

uhwarriors wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:24 pm National media noticing.
That is not journalism. That is twitter. And the original story is a gossip column.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:29 pm
That is not journalism. That is twitter. And the original story is a gossip column.
I’m with you, Sir/Ma’am. However, perception is reality. TG needs to be more transparent or deny these allegations. In the reality of public opinion, he’s already guilty. The public needs more than I don’t have or read Twitter.

We will lose recruits

Just my thoughts…

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

202Warrior wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:36 pm
I’m with you, Sir/Ma’am. However, perception is reality. TG needs to be more transparent or deny these allegations. In the reality of public opinion, he’s already guilty. The public needs more than I don’t have or read Twitter.

We will lose recruits

Just my thoughts…

Good thoughts. It is a tough call.

I say focus on coaching and let the players on the team send a message on the field.

By the looks of the gossip, these are guys on the outs. The starters will back the coach up here. I do believe. That is really the only good answer.
Last edited by UnBiasFan on Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:41 pm

We will lose recruits

Just my thoughts…

I say focus on coaching and let the players on the team send a message on the field.

By the looks of the gossip, these are guys on the outs. The starters will back the coach up here. I do believe.
All that matters is that it's now out in the open. Insiders have known what's going on for months now. Mainland and local players and their families are talking. The local football community knows all about it. A former UH player and current Hawaii high school coach has called for TG to be fired. Starters are transferring. Others are quitting. Decommits are coming. Even those considering walking on won't. BTW, Stewart Mandel is mainstream sports media.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

uhwarriors wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:41 pm
All that matters is that it's now out in the open. Insiders have known what's going on for months now. Mainland and local players and their families are talking. The local football community knows all about it. A former UH player and current Hawaii high school coach has called for TG to be fired. Starters are transferring. Others are quitting. Decommits are coming. Even those considering walking on won't. BTW, Stewart Mandel is mainstream sports media.

If this is true, it will play itself out on the field. I don't plan on being a part of it. We will see how the team responds. Adds to the drama.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Uhm...I was not a good player. The coach never recognized me in the locker room nor did he invite me to his house. True, he never called me dog poop, but I would have certainly deserved it. This is the fruitiest nonsense that I have ever observed as a long-term fan. Also, how many of these threads do we have to put up with? It's the same hearsay over and over again. jmho

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:41 pm

We will lose recruits

Just my thoughts…

By the looks of the gossip, these are guys on the outs. The starters will back the coach up here. I do believe. That is really the only good answer.
Let's see, the starting QB and local boy transferring. Starting RB and leading rusher transferring. Starting CB and probably our best corner transferring. Starting S medically retired before the last game. He was not hurt enough to run on the field for a defensive series before getting pulled.
ImageImage

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Irse wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:58 pm
Let's see, the starting QB and local boy transferring. Starting RB and leading rusher transferring. Starting CB and probably our best corner transferring. Starting S medically retired before the last game. He was not hurt enough to run on the field for a defensive series before getting pulled.
The loss of Chevan is a story in itself. That hurts ...

But the rest is gossip ... didn't get invited to coaches house ... he called me dog poop ...

Like I said, let's see how the team responds. That is where it counts. As a fan, that is all I can do. Support the team for the upcoming game. They can speak on the field. That is what I do as a fan. Watch players send messages on the field through execution. And they have been executing as of late. This is a team that can finish with a bowl win. Not 3-10, in disarray.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

yikes