HS Hoops 2021-2022

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HS Hoops 2021-2022

Post by gopunahou »

This year could be like 2016, when four teams in the ILH tied for first.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Girls' basketball: Iolani beat Maryknoll Saturday, 51-42. Based on the score, you might say that Iolani kicked Maryknoll's butts. However, Maryknoll was down by only 2 with 53 seconds left in the game. In last week's Star-Advertiser poll--(the next one comes out tomorrow)--Iolani was ranked #1, while Maryknoll was ranked #8. I'm thinking if #8 Maryknoll was down by only 2 with 53 seconds left, perhaps #2-ranked Konawaena could beat Iolani in D1 States. Gotta be ahead by only 1 to win!

Go Wildcats! Take it to the top!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I don't know why so soon, but in girls' basketball, Iolani and Maryknoll played each other again tonight, and Iolani won 48-33. Maryknoll alumni must be pissed, as the loss was by a greater margin than the 9 points on Saturday. In D1 States, Konawaena could be the avenger.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The issue of the shot clock is coming up again. The lack of a shot clock has been an issue since the early 2000s.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: Well, you can rest easy. Looks like your alma mater will make States.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Punahou alumni have something to be pissed about today: Iolani upset Punahou, 1-0, in boys' soccer. Punahou is ranked #1, while Iolani is ranked #6. This was Punahou's first loss, and it came at the hands of their fiercest rival, Iolani. So, it sucks on three levels: 1.) It was an upset, and it came at the hands of a school ranked 5 slots below. 2.) It ruined Punahou's unblemished record. 3.) It came at the hands of their fiercest rival; the last school they'd like to lose to.

Sorry, gopunahou. Doodoo happens.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Kalani alumni also have something to be pissed about today: Kahuku upset Kalani, 4-3, in boys' soccer. Kalani is ranked #2, while Kahuku is unranked. This was Kalani's first loss, though it came at the hands of Kahuku, which I wouldn't consider Kalani's fiercest rival. So, this loss sucks on two levels: 1.) It was an upset, and it came at the hands of an unranked school, while Kalani was #2.
2.) Kalani was undefeated prior to this loss, though Kaiser did tie them, 1-1.

Doodoo has happened for Kalani alumni, too.

So, there were two pretty big upsets in boys' soccer today.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

@ HSFootballFanatic - I truly get a kick out of your "___ alumni must be pissed ..." approach to local high school sports.
Sometimes I think most alumni had no idea the loss happened until you mention it, but getting a little bit of blood boil is part of the fun. And it goes both ways ... we're all on the losing end sometimes.
Mahalo for keeping track of the lesser-known contests and explaining to us why they matter.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@locomoko:

Well, that's my thing, high school sports. But, as I had mentioned in a few posts previously, I'm in my 60s. So, sometimes I feel a little childish, a little juvenile, for following high school sports so closely. But, that's been my passion for decades. I guess it's a hard habit to break. I think at some point I'll have to tell myself that it's time to stop, if I don't croak of old age first.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:30 pm Kalani alumni also have something to be pissed about today: Kahuku upset Kalani, 4-3, in boys' soccer. Kalani is ranked #2, while Kahuku is unranked. This was Kalani's first loss, though it came at the hands of Kahuku, which I wouldn't consider Kalani's fiercest rival. So, this loss sucks on two levels: 1.) It was an upset, and it came at the hands of an unranked school, while Kalani was #2.
2.) Kalani was undefeated prior to this loss, though Kaiser did tie them, 1-1.

Doodoo has happened for Kalani alumni, too.

So, there were two pretty big upsets in boys' soccer today.
I don’t follow soccer, but since you mentioned these upsets, to me it’s better for a team to lose in the regular season, than to have their only loss in the playoffs. Sometimes, a loss is a wake up call to make changes. As long as both Punahou and Kalani make states, their goal of winning a championship is still there.

The New England Patriots perfect regular season, and the Golden State Warriors record setting 73-9 regular season were both not successful, if neither team ended up winning the title.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

True, but I have to believe that when your school suffers an upset, it really sucks. Yes, it's better to lose during the regular season than during the playoffs, but it's better not to lose at all, at any time, especially if you're ranked #1. If you're ranked #1 but you lose, there's something really bitter and sucky about it, especially if you lose to a school that's ranked five slots below you. It's so deflating; such a letdown. I mean, I don't care for Punahou School, but I can imagine how their alumni felt after being upset by archrival Iolani, especially. It must have really sucked.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Here's something for St Louis alumni to be pissed about: Maryknoll upset St Louis in basketball tonight, 50-45. If St Louis isn't careful, they'll be in danger of losing the D1 ILH title to Punahou. Another thing is that in today's Star-Advertiser poll, St Louis was ranked #1, while Maryknoll was ranked #3. Then came this loss. So, if this keeps-up, St Louis is also in danger of losing its #1 ranking. It is what it is.

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

On any given day/night it's a toss up between St. Louis, Iolani, and Maryknoll. Don't look pass Kahuku for States. Amari Westmoreland-Vendiola, with enough support from his teammates, can lead them to win it all.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@BowTow:

I'll tell you what: I hope Kahuku takes it all; I'd rather have that school than St Louis, Iolani, or Maryknoll. Also: Don't forget Punahou. Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me if Punahou is ranked #1 in the next poll next Tuesday. I say, "Unfortunately," because that's the last school I would like to see win it all; I don't care for that school at all.

Kahuku is currently ranked #5. I know Westmoreland-Vendiola kicks butt, but he can't win States for Kahuku all by himself. Like you said, he's going to need more help from the other four guys on the court. In order for Kahuku to win States, I think they have to do three things:
1. Not fall behind during the first half; no "slow starts". In a game, they can't afford to fall too far behind early against the other schools mentioned above. They need to try to stay right with the other school, try to match them point for point. I'd imagine teams will try to box Westmoreland-Vendiola out; he needs to expect that, and not get flustered.
2. Improve their D. I get that Kahuku can score a lot of points, but they need to do a better job of suppressing the other school's scoring.
3. Get Westmoreland-Vendiola to have a monster game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Two nights ago, I posted that St Louis alumni had something to be pissed about: #3 Maryknoll had beaten St Louis in basketball, when St Louis was #1. I also posted that Punahou would likely be ranked #1 in next week's poll. Well, St Louis laid that to rest: They beat Punahou just a few minutes ago, 44-37. So, for the moment, St Louis' #1 ranking seems safe.