HS Hoops 2021-2022

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HS Hoops 2021-2022

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Kahuku alumni have something to be pissed about: Kailua upset Kahuku in boys' basketball last night, 50-45. This sucked on a number of levels:
1. This could be considered an upset because Kahuku was ranked #5, while Kailua was ranked #8.
2. Kahuku was leading all the way until the last three minutes of the game, and at one point was leading by 11 pts.
3. The game was at Kahuku gym, so the Red Raiders failed to defend their own house.
4. Kahuku was undefeated, so their umblemished record got screwed.
5. Kahuku star Westmoreland-Vendiola got outshown by Kailua guard Philbrick. Westmoreland-Vendiola was the OIA East's top scorer, but was held to a season-low 16 points. Meanwhile, Philbrick went-off for 29 points; that was more than half of Kailua's total points. That's nuts; the kid was a one-man scoring machine. One reason for Westmoreland-Vendiola's low output was that he ran into foul trouble, so had to sit-out for a crucial period during the 2nd half. But, that's part of the game; when you're your school's star player, part of the challenge is keeping out of foul trouble.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:30 pm Kahuku alumni have something to be pissed about: Kailua upset Kahuku in boys' basketball last night, 50-45. This sucked on a number of levels:
1. This could be considered an upset because Kahuku was ranked #5, while Kailua was ranked #8.
2. Kahuku was leading all the way until the last three minutes of the game, and at one point was leading by 11 pts.
3. The game was at Kahuku gym, so the Red Raiders failed to defend their own house.
4. Kahuku was undefeated, so their umblemished record got screwed.
5. Kahuku star Westmoreland-Vendiola got outshown by Kailua guard Philbrick. Westmoreland-Vendiola was the OIA East's top scorer, but was held to a season-low 16 points. Meanwhile, Philbrick went-off for 29 points; that was more than half of Kailua's total points. That's nuts; the kid was a one-man scoring machine. One reason for Westmoreland-Vendiola's low output was that he ran into foul trouble, so had to sit-out for a crucial period during the 2nd half. But, that's part of the game; when you're your school's star player, part of the challenge is keeping out of foul trouble.
It looks like boys basketball is very ILH heavy this year. If Kahuku was undefeated and only 5th, then I’m guessing the top 4 teams are all in the ILH (unless a neighbor island team is really good).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

That's right. In the most recent Star-Advertiser poll (this past Tuesday), the top four schools are all ILH schools: #1 St Louis, #2 Punahou, #3 Iolani, #4 Maryknoll. Iolani beat Punahou last night, so they might switch positions in the next poll (Tuesday). I prefer Iolani School to Punahou School, so I hope that that happens.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

The state D1 girls' basketball tournament began today. Punahou is in it, and they beat Radford, 47-35. Punahou is ranked #7 by Scoringlive, while Radford is unranked. Waiakea and Maui High are also in the tournament. Scoringlive has Waiakea ranked #5, and Maui High ranked #4. I don't care for Punahou School, but I can't see how Waiakea and Maui High can be ranked above them. I don't know how Scoringlive comes-up with these rankings. Anyway, the tournament continues tomorrow, and things should start shaking themselves out more.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Oh, sorry: The state D1 girls' basketball tournament continues Thursday, not today. Kind of weird that the tourney began yesterday, and then there's a two-day gap. Anyway, the Star-Advertiser poll has Punahou ranked #5, which is probably more realistic than #7. They, like Scoringlive, also have Maui High ranked #4, so there must be something real about the Sabers. They were off my radar; the only buttkicking neighbor-island girls' team I knew about was Konawaena, ranked #2.

Meanwhile, Punahou alumni have something to be pissed about: Punahou lost to Sacred Hearts in both JV and vars air riflery on Saturday. (I found-out about it only today.) Most guys probably don't give too much of a rip about air riflery, because it's not a spectator sport; spectators aren't even allowed (even before the pandemic) because of the danger posed by pellets being fired. What I thought Punahou alumni might be pissed about is that Sacred Hearts beat Punahou in JV and vars. When was the last time Punahou's JV and vars got beat by Sacred Hearts in any sport? I can't think of any other sport in which that happened, and I've been following high school sports for some 45 years.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:09 pm Oh, sorry: The state D1 girls' basketball tournament continues Thursday, not today. Kind of weird that the tourney began yesterday, and then there's a two-day gap. Anyway, the Star-Advertiser poll has Punahou ranked #5, which is probably more realistic than #7. They, like Scoringlive, also have Maui High ranked #4, so there must be something real about the Sabers. They were off my radar; the only buttkicking neighbor-island girls' team I knew about was Konawaena, ranked #2.

Meanwhile, Punahou alumni have something to be pissed about: Punahou lost to Sacred Hearts in both JV and vars air riflery on Saturday. (I found-out about it only today.) Most guys probably don't give too much of a rip about air riflery, because it's not a spectator sport; spectators aren't even allowed (even before the pandemic) because of the danger posed by pellets being fired. What I thought Punahou alumni might be pissed about is that Sacred Hearts beat Punahou in JV and vars. When was the last time Punahou's JV and vars got beat by Sacred Hearts in any sport? I can't think of any other sport in which that happened, and I've been following high school sports for some 45 years.
I have no clue how air riflery is organized. Are there more than two schools competing at an event? Is it like bowling, wrestling, judo, where there are a bunch of schools competing in the same event/tournament? Or was it a dual between Punahou and Sacred Hearts?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, riflery has changed so much since I was in high school in the mid-'70s. For one thing, it's called air riflery now. Back in the mid-'70s, schools used .22-cal longbore rifles, using bullets. Now they use air rifles, using pellets. Back then, schools had dual matches at a rifle range. Most of the schools had their own rifle range. I'm assuming they're still using a dual-match format. Back in the mid-'70s, the state championship had all the schools competing at the same match. (They're called matches, not games.) The state championships were always at Baldwin High's rifle range. I guess it must have been the biggest, to accommodate all the schools competing. Now, I heard the air riflery state championships are held inside the convention center main hall (where the annual auto show is), of all places. That hall is huge; very cavernous.

Speaking of matches, how about soccer matches: Aiea's boys' soccer team scored a huge upset over Kaiser last night, 1-0. That was Kaiser's first loss. (Kalani did tie them, 1-1.) Not only was Kaiser the #1 seed in the OIA East; it was the first time they were held scoreless. Aiea must have played some pretty wicked D. So, while Kaiser alumni have something to be pissed about, Aiea alumni have something to feel good about. Congrats, Na Alii.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Punahou alumni have something pretty big to be pissed about: Tonight, Punahou lost to Kamehameha, 50-48, in D1 boys' basketball. If I'm not mistaken, that loss ended Punahou's season. But, the alumni can take consolation in the fact that Punahou's girls' basketball team is in the state D1 tourney. So, the boys are done, but the girls carry-on.

I like Kamehameha Schools, so I'm glad they won the boys' game. But, they have to thank the basketball gods, as they must have intervened. Consider:
1. Kamehameha lost their top scorer, Bruhn, midway through the first quarter, to a knee injury.
2. Kamehameha was down 28-7 with just over two minutes left before the half.
3. Kamehameha fought back, but they were down by one point with less than two seconds left in the game.
4. So what happens? Kamehameha player Kapihe takes an inbounds pass at midcourt, dribbles the ball once, and hurls a 35-foot shot as time expired. Not only did the shot go in; it was all net. So, Kamehameha won on a hail-Mary, 35-foot, all-net trey as time expired. Again, this was after losing their top scorer way back in the first quarter, and being down 28-7 late in the first half.

There's simply no other way to explain Kamehameha's win, except to say that the basketball gods were smiling upon them. I mean, that win was nuts.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Unfortunately for Kamehameha's team, the basketball gods didn't smile upon them tonight. They lost to Maryknoll, 41-36. That loss ends their season. With the win, Maryknoll picks-up the ILH's last berth into the D1 State tournament. All that Kamehameha Schools can do now is hope someone knocks-off Maryknoll in States. Maryknoll is ranked #3, so if they play either #2 Iolani or #1 St Louis, they're likely to lose. I like Kamehameha Schools, so while I'd like to see someone knock-off Maryknoll, I don't want it to be Iolani or St Louis, as I prefer Maryknoll to those two schools. The next-strongest school in D1 States is Mililani. I think Mililani is capable of beating Maryknoll, but it would be an upset. But, I'd like to see it happen. However, there's no guarantee those two schools will meet. All depends, of course, on the brackets and the seedings.

So, yeah, since I like Kamehameha Schools, I'm pissed that Maryknoll ended their season. I'm hoping that Mililani plays them in States, and beats them.

ChadFukuoka, I see you're online. As an Aiea alumnus, unfortunately you've got something to be pissed about, too: Kapolei beat Aiea in boys' soccer, 3-2, on PKs. This was an OIA D1 semifinal match, so I don't know if Aiea has a chance to get into D1 States. Depends on how many berths the OIA gets.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dear Konawaena girls' basketball team:

Congratulations for getting past Mililani. Now go get Iolani! It will probably come down to you and they.

Go Wildcats!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Guys who are fed-up with Iolani School hog-cheesing the basketball spotlight will be glad to learn that St Louis beat them for the ILH D1 title tonight, 60-43. Iolani took the girls' ILH D1 title, but to be fair, I should mention that I wanted them to win that title. See, if they didn't take it, Punahou School would have taken it, and I didn't want that. So, while I'm glad Iolani won the girls' title, I didn't want them to also take the boys' title. Thanks, Saints, for making sure that that didn't happen. Now Iolani School can't brag about taking both titles.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:31 pm Guys who are fed-up with Iolani School hog-cheesing the basketball spotlight will be glad to learn that St Louis beat them for the ILH D1 title tonight, 60-43. Iolani took the girls' ILH D1 title, but to be fair, I should mention that I wanted them to win that title. See, if they didn't take it, Punahou School would have taken it, and I didn't want that. So, while I'm glad Iolani won the girls' title, I didn't want them to also take the boys' title. Thanks, Saints, for making sure that that didn't happen. Now Iolani School can't brag about taking both titles.
Unfortunately, for you, Iolani is going to win the girls state basketball title. They lead Konawaena 24-15, with 3 minutes left in the game. Sounds like a very methodical, conservative game based on the low score.

I was hoping Sacred Hearts would win the D2 title. Hawaii Baptist has had lots of success in D2, I'm not sure if Sacred Hearts ever won a title. I don't think they have.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

I don't care for Iolani School, so yes, it galled me that they won the title. Konawaena was ranked right behind Iolani, and held them to just 25 points. Having held them to 25 points, Konawaena should have been able to win the game. Instead, they allowed themselves to be shut down, scoring only 17 points. That sucks, and I'd have to imagine Konawaena alumni are pissed about the whole thing. So am I; it's so deflating, so frustrating. There's a helpless feeling, as there isn't a darned thing you can do. Going into the game, I really thought Konawaena had a chance.

In D2, yes, I was backing Sacred Hearts, too. Well, I was 0-2, then. Doo-doo happens. Even so, I don't really dislike Hawaii Baptist; it's just that I prefer Sacred Hearts to them. But, the Iolani win really sticks in my craw. I was kind of pissed about it the whole evening; it ruined my evening. I'd imagine Punahou alumni are pissed about it, too, as Iolani School is Punahou School's most bitter rival.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Kailua alumni have something to be pissed about: Baldwin upset them tonight in the boys' D1 State basketball tourney, 60-57. I admit not knowing a whole lot about Baldwin's team, but I do know Kailua's team is long and talented, and that they upset Kahuku in the OIA tourney. Scoringlive has Kailua ranked #7, and Baldwin ranked #9. I didn't expect Baldwin to get past Kailua, but they did.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:32 pm Kailua alumni have something to be pissed about: Baldwin upset them tonight in the boys' D1 State basketball tourney, 60-57. I admit not knowing a whole lot about Baldwin's team, but I do know Kailua's team is long and talented, and that they upset Kahuku in the OIA tourney. Scoringlive has Kailua ranked #7, and Baldwin ranked #9. I didn't expect Baldwin to get past Kailua, but they did.
Iolani and St. Louis are likely to meet in the finals. If that does indeed happen, I hope it drives that Trump-loving subhuman Infidel crazy to choose which team to stand behind.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!