2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
808WrestlingFan
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

How is the reffing in Hawaii? I’ve heard that aside from a select few, Hawaii is really lacking in quality wrestling officials. Is this actually true? I wonder if most of the knowledgeable people gravitate towards coaching. This seems like a potential issue when it comes to the State tournament.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@bow89:

No, I'm not "taking things way too seriously". We're talking about high school sports here; this is a high school thread. We're talking about teen-aged kids. When I say, "pissed", I'm not talking anger. Most adults like us aren't going to be angry at high school kids about losing a game. So, no, I'm not overreacting. As you said, "disappointed, yes." And, I would say sickened, yes. So, there's no "misguidance" here; you apparently read too much into my post(s).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

808WrestlingFan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:35 am How is the reffing in Hawaii? I’ve heard that aside from a select few, Hawaii is really lacking in quality wrestling officials. Is this actually true? I wonder if most of the knowledgeable people gravitate towards coaching. This seems like a potential issue when it comes to the State tournament.
@808WrestlingFan:

Guys were complaining about HI's reffing last year; I remember reading it.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:35 am How is the reffing in Hawaii? I’ve heard that aside from a select few, Hawaii is really lacking in quality wrestling officials. Is this actually true? I wonder if most of the knowledgeable people gravitate towards coaching. This seems like a potential issue when it comes to the State tournament.
There are a handful of very good refs here in Hawaii that take their job seriously by keeping up to date with rule interpretations that are being emphasized nationally and are genuinely always trying to improve their craft. But then there is a majority of guys that do not understand the reasoning behind some of the rules or have maybe even never wrestled before. And then there are some that understand the rules but are way too out of shape to get down and call pins in time.

bow89
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bow89 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:16 am @bow89:

No, I'm not "taking things way too seriously". We're talking about high school sports here; this is a high school thread. We're talking about teen-aged kids. When I say, "pissed", I'm not talking anger. Most adults like us aren't going to be angry at high school kids about losing a game. So, no, I'm not overreacting. As you said, "disappointed, yes." And, I would say sickened, yes. So, there's no "misguidance" here; you apparently read too much into my post(s).
I think using proper terms is important. A high school thread does not mean that we need regularly use terms that express feelings of anger. One can feel upset without being pissed at the outcome. Most students have a pretty good outlook about athletics. It's adults who take it way too seriously.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@bow89:

"Pissed" is a colloquialism. I've been on this message-board for some eight years, and I've seen guys use worse, trust me. At times there have been some pretty angry posts over the years. And again, when I say, "pissed", I'm not necessarily trying to convey anger; I thought I made that clear in my previous post. Therefore, when I say, "pissed", yes, I mean, upset. By the way, is it really too much of a stretch to say that if someone is upset (your term) about the outcome of a game, that he's pissed? Honestly?
Anyway, I do agree that some adults take sports way too seriously, namely, some parents of players. But you can rest assured that I'm not taking athletics "way too seriously". I find high school athletics very invigorating and enjoyable. Why do you think I've been on these high school threads for some eight years?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

...sooooo here are some early round matchups to keep an eye on and some crazy semis created by "seeding" the brackets in an interesting way. Thoughts? Any I missed? Girls?
113:
Rd1 - Marinas(BAL) v Shigemoto(MIL). Ramos(CAM) v Chanthabouasith(LEI)
Quarters - Yoshiyama(HIL) v Landford(KSK), Bucsit(StL) v Kamimura(KLN)
126:
Quarters - Labuanan(LAH) v Kim(MIL)
138:
Rd1 - McBrayer(KPO) v Lum(Pac5)
Quarters - Aina(KSM) v Kaaialii(KSK), Clarion(LAH) v Goeas(CAS), McBrayer(KPO) v Borce(HPA)
145:
Prelim - Suzuki(KLN) v Garcia(KPO) ... Is Suzuki going to wrestle?
Rd1 - Suzuki(KLN) v Kim-Cadiz(PC)...OIA Final that never was - maybe State Finals as well
Quarters - Mercado(PUN) v Winner of Suzuki/Kim-Cadiz
182:
Rd1 - Keo(KPO) v Pai(Kon)
Quarters - Opetaia(StL) v Penuliar(LEI)
195:
Rd1 - Holani(StL) v He(ROS)
Quarters - Aiwohi(WAN) v Hue Sing(BAL)
Semis:
120 - Lau(Mid) v Lathwood(MOA) What I would have wanted for the finals
132 - Villalpando(StL) v Taam(MOA) What I would have wanted for the finals
170 - Desantos(LEI) v Nishida(KSK)
Last edited by talloola25 on Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@talloola25:

Thanks again for your updates. You wrestling guys are amazing. So much detail. And, the State tourney starts Friday, right? Well, we shall see which schools take the boys' and girls' crowns.

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

All the refs pretty much suck. They have huge egos that won't allow them to change a bad call. Most are so fat that once they go down they can't move around to see if both shoulders are on the mat or they take so long to get down and look because they don't know if they can get back up. Some have control issues and have to do it either their way (the wrong way) or throw a fit. They need to brush up on their rule book on definitions of what a takedown, what a stalemate is or stalling? They are like NFL refs who don't call crap for most of the game but have to be involved with the final outcome of the match. Some make calls late. All the refs keep telling the kids to wrestle to the center (the middle circle) when there is a whole mat to wrestle in. most of all the lack consistency during matches. Did I say they suck???

BTW the "Hawaii crying ref" died...
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

talloola25 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am ...sooooo here are some early round matchups to keep an eye on and some crazy semis created by "seeding" the brackets in an interesting way. Thoughts? Any I missed? Girls?
113:
Rd1 - Marinas(BAL) v Shigemoto(MIL). Ramos(CAM) v Chanthabouasith(LEI)
Quarters - Yoshiyama(HIL) v Landford(KSK), Bucsit(StL) v Kamimura(KLN)
126:
Quarters - Labuanan(LAH) v Kim(MIL)
138:
Rd1 - McBrayer(KPO) v Lum(Pac5)
Quarters - Aina(KSM) v Kaaialii(KSK), Clarion(LAH) v Goeas(CAS), McBrayer(KPO) v Borce(HPA)
145:
Prelim - Suzuki(KLN) v Garcia(KPO) ... Is Suzuki going to wrestle?
Rd1 - Suzuki(KLN) v Kim-Cadiz(PC)...OIA Final that never was - maybe State Finals as well
Quarters - Mercado(PUN) v Winner of Suzuki/Kim-Cadiz
182:
Rd1 - Keo(KPO) v Pai(Kon)
Quarters - Opetaia(StL) v Penuliar(LEI)
195:
Rd1 - Holani(StL) v He(ROS)
Quarters - Aiwohi(WAN) v Hue Sing(BAL)
Semis:
120 - Lau(Mid) v Lathwood(MOA) What I would have wanted for the finals
132 - Villalpando(StL) v Taam(MOA) What I would have wanted for the finals
170 - Desantos(LEI) v Nishida(KSK)
170- McCreadie v Paguryan ??

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

I noticed that wrestling is not on the schedule for OC16, are they not going to televise the finals?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@OldManJenkins:

Wow! You sure made your opinion heard! Anyway, that's the kind of opinion I'd heard over the past few years. Your post was kind of hilarious, the way you described the refs. But, of course, it's probably not too funny for the wrestlers and coaches.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:34 pm I noticed that wrestling is not on the schedule for OC16, are they not going to televise the finals?
@OldManJenkins:

Didn't they televise the last ones two years ago?

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:37 pm
OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:34 pm I noticed that wrestling is not on the schedule for OC16, are they not going to televise the finals?
@OldManJenkins:

Didn't they televise the last ones two years ago?
usually oc16 covers the finals, done it for years. Darren Hernandez usually is the commentator with Ojastro.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

@OldManJenkins - McCreadie v Pagurayan I considered mentioning, but not sure it's on the same level as the others I mentioned. Hopefully they prove me wrong and it will be interesting. The problem is I think Pagurayan beats anyone in the bracket not named Pookela(hopefully he doesn't get stepped over this time around and we get a full match, because it was fire until then) and McCreadie took 3rd in ILH. Regardless, I'll be watching it if possible.