2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
FlyingSquirrel808
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

talloola25 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:47 pm
OldManJenkins wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:11 pm What no brackets yet??? I think the seeding meeting was at 1pm. I thought it would be fast since they made it simple with the new seeding rules
I think it's taking time because of the different bracket sizes. Some have fun 20 man brackets and some as few as an 8 man. I'm curious which champs are going to be the same side as each other. This should be interesting
Which weights have 8 man brackets? I think there was more than 8 wrestlers in all but girls weight classes in the OIA alone. I know girls 134 only had 5 and boys 108 only had 6. I would imagine all the other leagues combined could fill more than just a couple slots.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@talloola25
@FlyingSquirrel808

Thanks for your input. Didn't know Moanalua was that strong.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:21 am @talloola25
@FlyingSquirrel808

It's been a weird season. I think it's more that they are stronger than other teams relatively speaking. Depending on the brackets they could have a good showing.

225 girls have a bracket that small. ILH 1 , MIL 0, OIA 4, Kaui 0, BIIF 1. Also, can't have a Narahara/Asuncion match. Asuncion is 117 and Narahara is 122.

Brackets are up. Looking at them now.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Here are my too soon predictions based on bracket placement, without much thought to get it rolling. Will update later in the week when I've actually thought about it lol
Boys:
106: Kusumoto over Estabilio
113: Bucsit over Marinas
120: Lau over Del Rosario
126: Ravida over Vasquez(although not sure what's up with Ravida )
132: Villalpando over Porter(Taam is same side as Villalpando lol)
138: McBrayer over Okura(hopefully they'll let the wrestlers decide it this time. Was a great match last time)
145: Yawata over Kim-Cadiz(Suzuki might not get to wrestle)
152: Soares over Hasegawa? (Honestly no idea here lol)
160: Sumiye over Valdez
170: Desantos over Pagurayan
182: Nitahara over Opetaia
195: Kahele-Akeo over Sagon
220: Yong over Kalipi
285: Dikilato over Coelho
Girls:
97 - Hikiji(MIL) over Godoy
102 - Nitta(MIL) over Ferreira(BAL)
107 - Kulukulualani-Sales(LAH) over Kalamau
112 - Moniz over Daoang
117 - Asuncion(MOA) over Takano(KSK)
122 - Narahara(KSK) over Treu
127 - Frank(LAH) v Oshita
132 - Chargualaf(CAM) over Medeiros(LAH)
138 - Molina(PC) over Wright(CAM)
145 - Tynan-Lee over Miguel
155 - Pua(BAL) over Kapoi
168 - Balbarino over Kamaka(BAL)
184 - Balancio-Sadamaru(WAN) over Fonoti(MIL)(If Fonoti can even compete)
225 - Esera over Bartley(no clue here as most of the weights)
And yes I'm an Oahu/OIA homer

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

talloola25 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:31 am Here are my too soon predictions based on bracket placement, without much thought to get it rolling. Will update later in the week when I've actually thought about it lol
Boys:
106: Kusumoto over Estabilio
113: Bucsit over Marinas
120: Lau over Del Rosario
126: Ravida over Vasquez(although not sure what's up with Ravida )
132: Villalpando over Porter(Taam is same side as Villalpando lol)
138: McBrayer over Okura(hopefully they'll let the wrestlers decide it this time. Was a great match last time)
145: Yawata over Kim-Cadiz(Suzuki might not get to wrestle)
152: Soares over Hasegawa? (Honestly no idea here lol)
160: Sumiye over Valdez
170: Desantos over Pagurayan
182: Nitahara over Opetaia
195: Kahele-Akeo over Sagon
220: Yong over Kalipi
285: Dikilato over Coelho
Girls:
97 - Hikiji(MIL) over Godoy
102 - Nitta(MIL) over Ferreira(BAL)
107 - Kulukulualani-Sales(LAH) over Kalamau
112 - Moniz over Daoang
117 - Asuncion(MOA) over Takano(KSK)
122 - Narahara(KSK) over Treu
127 - Frank(LAH) v Oshita
132 - Chargualaf(CAM) over Medeiros(LAH)
138 - Molina(PC) over Wright(CAM)
145 - Tynan-Lee over Miguel
155 - Pua(BAL) over Kapoi
168 - Balbarino over Kamaka(BAL)
184 - Balancio-Sadamaru(WAN) over Fonoti(MIL)(If Fonoti can even compete)
225 - Esera over Bartley(no clue here as most of the weights)
And yes I'm an Oahu/OIA homer
I did not even realize Narahara was up at 122! My bad. Your picks look pretty good. I would contend that Vasquez might beat Ravida just from getting more battle tested over the course of this season. I also think Okura gets it done again over McBrayer. Okura seems to widen gaps the second time around (beat Goeas by 3 at easts, then shut him out 8-0 at OIAs). Then again, McBrayer is the same (lost to Rapoza early in the year and then smoked him at OIAs). I think both wrestlers will let it fly a bit more if they get another shot at each other. It seemed like they were both kind of feeling each other out for the majority of that last match. Okura is going to have to get by Ka'aiali'i first and McBrayer has to get by Lum and Borce first too.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

talloola25 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:43 am
@FlyingSquirrel808

It's been a weird season. I think it's more that they are stronger than other teams relatively speaking. Depending on the brackets they could have a good showing.

225 girls have a bracket that small. ILH 1 , MIL 0, OIA 4, Kaui 0, BIIF 1. Also, can't have a Narahara/Asuncion match. Asuncion is 117 and Narahara is 122.

@talloola25:

Well, you know how that goes. Whether its stronger only relatively speaking, one school is going to end-up on top, and that school will be the State champ. Thanks for your info again.

Also, thanks for owning that you're an Oahu homer; so am I. It's not necessarily because I think Oahu is superior; it's just that I was born and raised on Oahu, and have lived there all my life. If I were from any of the other islands, I'd feel the same way about that island. As for being an OIA homer, yes, I'm that, too, except when Kamehameha - Kapalama plays. I like that school, so I like when they win. I honestly don't know why; it's been that way for decades. Some things you're simply at a loss to explain, right? I mean, you know what you feel, but you simply can't put your finger on why. I guess you could say there's something visceral about it, though it's not really logical. Aside from Kamehameha - Kapalama, I might on rare occasion support some other private school against a public school, if that private school is one of those small D2 or D3 types that hardly win any championships, and if the public school wins a lot of championships. I mean, I don't want to paint myself into a corner and say I never support any private school except Kamehameha - Kapalama; then I'd have no wiggle-room to accommodate an unusual situation.

I keep thinking back to that girls' soccer match in the D1 State tournament where Punahou kicked Moanalua's butts, 8-0. I mean, that was lowww. Moanalua never sucks in girls' soccer, but Punahou sure made it look that way with that score. Surely it's a no-brainer that Moanalua alumni must have been pissed. Now, if Moanalua is as strong in girls' wrestling as two of you wrestling guys are saying, they might very well kick Punahou's butts in the State wrestling tournament. Turnabout is fair play. "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. You kick my butt, I'll kick yours."

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HOLY CRAP! ChadFukuoka, are you there? AIEA BEAT IOLANI, 1-0, in the D1 State boys' soccer tournament! That's a MASSIVE upset! Iolani was ranked #3, and Aiea was unranked. I'd say this was the most massive upset in boys' soccer, all season. Iolani alumni must be pissed. I mean, that's completely out of left field. NO ONE, I am sure, saw THAT coming. I mean, that is nuts. Congratulations, Na Alii. You have rocked high school soccer in Hawaii. Guys are probably going, "WHHAATT?!"

Na Alii must have come-out with their eyes on fire. I still can't understand how they did it.

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:32 am
talloola25 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:43 am
@FlyingSquirrel808

@talloola25:

Well, you know how that goes. Whether its stronger only relatively speaking, one school is going to end-up on top, and that school will be the State champ. Thanks for your info again.

Also, thanks for owning that you're an Oahu homer; so am I. It's not necessarily because I think Oahu is superior; it's just that I was born and raised on Oahu, and have lived there all my life. If I were from any of the other islands, I'd feel the same way about that island. As for being an OIA homer, yes, I'm that, too, except when Kamehameha - Kapalama plays. I like that school, so I like when they win. I honestly don't know why; it's been that way for decades. Some things you're simply at a loss to explain, right? I mean, you know what you feel, but you simply can't put your finger on why. I guess you could say there's something visceral about it, though it's not really logical. Aside from Kamehameha - Kapalama, I might on rare occasion support some other private school against a public school, if that private school is one of those small D2 or D3 types that hardly win any championships, and if the public school wins a lot of championships. I mean, I don't want to paint myself into a corner and say I never support any private school except Kamehameha - Kapalama; then I'd have no wiggle-room to accommodate an unusual situation.

I keep thinking back to that girls' soccer match in the D1 State tournament where Punahou kicked Moanalua's butts, 8-0. I mean, that was lowww. Moanalua never sucks in girls' soccer, but Punahou sure made it look that way with that score. Surely it's a no-brainer that Moanalua alumni must have been pissed. Now, if Moanalua is as strong in girls' wrestling as two of you wrestling guys are saying, they might very well kick Punahou's butts in the State wrestling tournament. Turnabout is fair play. "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. You kick my butt, I'll kick yours."
Does the alumni really care about all these different sports? I wouldn’t think so

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@justafan:

Well, I don't know for sure. I mean, each alumnus might be different, right? As I had said in that post, some alumni might be interested only in the sport they played in high school. But, some alumni might have a broader focus than just one sport. Who knows? But just as we perhaps shouldn't assume that alumni really care about all those different sports, neither should we assume that they don't, right? Or, perhaps there's some "middle ground": Alumni don't care about all sports, but at the same time, they don't care about only one sport. I just figure that--out of curiosity alone--most alumni would be interested in more than just one sport. I mean, if that's their school, why would they shut-out other sports from their minds? For example, this past Winter Olympics in China, do you think most Americans cared only about one sport? Don't you think Americans supported and watched the US in many sports in the Olympics? I mean, obviously there's a big difference between the Olympics and high school sports, but isn't the idea the same?

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:43 pm @justafan:

Well, I don't know for sure. I mean, each alumnus might be different, right? As I had said in that post, some alumni might be interested only in the sport they played in high school. But, some alumni might have a broader focus than just one sport. Who knows? But just as we perhaps shouldn't assume that alumni really care about all those different sports, neither should we assume that they don't, right? Or, perhaps there's some "middle ground": Alumni don't care about all sports, but at the same time, they don't care about only one sport. I just figure that--out of curiosity alone--most alumni would be interested in more than just one sport. I mean, if that's their school, why would they shut-out other sports from their minds? For example, this past Winter Olympics in China, do you think most Americans cared only about one sport? Don't you think Americans supported and watched the US in many sports in the Olympics? I mean, obviously there's a big difference between the Olympics and high school sports, but isn't the idea the same?
So if Australia kicks the US’ okole in swimming then we would cheer extra hard to kick Australia’s okole in track and field?

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

Does a s s auto correct to okole? Cause I didn’t type okole

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

I think most alumni care about the sport or sports they played, and the ones they like watching. If you're not a soccer fan, you wouldn't watch or follow soccer. And for the non spectator sports, like air riflery, it's very difficult to follow anyway.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

justafan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:34 pm

So if Australia kicks the US’ okole in swimming then we would cheer extra hard to kick Australia’s okole in track and field?
@justafan:

Well, why not? Better yet, let's take it down to a more "local" perspective: If a school kicked your alma mater's butt in one sport, you wouldn't cheer extra hard for your alma mater to kick that school's butt in another sport? My understanding is that all of a school's sports teams are representing that school; that's the primary thing. So, if we look at it that way, all the teams are "one". I dislike Iolani School, but I think they have the right slogan: "One Team". I think we should assume a sense of unity amongst the sports teams of a school. I doubt that it's a good thing to promote the "siloization" of each particular team. I think it would be a sad day when one of a school's athletes says: "Oh, they kicked our swim team's butts? I don't care. I'm not on that team; I'm on the track team." That's supposed to be good for school unity and school spirit?
I would hope that student-athletes who attend the same school have a stronger sense of oneness, mutual identity, and fellow feeling than that. What happened to, "One for all, and all for one"? What happened to, "United we stand, divided we fall"?

"One Team". If you ask me, that shouldn't be just for Iolani School. It should be for every school, and it can be for every school.

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

We should continue to talk about the Olympics and the alumni. We don’t need to see what an ILH homer will predict even though we had an OIA homer do his.

bow89
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bow89 »

I keep reading about alums being "pissed" if their school loses a game/match. Unless you are taking things way too seriously, I don't think many alumni are "pissed" when their team loses. Being "pissed" usually connotes a sense of anger directed at someone. This is a total overreaction to a sport played by students. Disappointed, yes. Sickened, maybe. But in no way should we be pissed after a game played by high school students. To do so is a misguided view of interscholastic sports.