What makes some areas of Oahu/neighbor islands more successful at football than others?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What makes some areas of Oahu/neighbor islands more successful at football than others?

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka: But, you can't say that just because a school is suburban, it's not townie. Take Kaiser High, for example. Kaiser High is the most typically suburban school on Oahu, yet it's pure townie. The only students there who aren't really townie are the GEs from Waimanalo, who would usually go to Kailua High. Remember, Hawaii Kai--Kaiser High's geographic district--is on the eastern fringe of Honolulu proper, yes, but it's still part of Honolulu proper. Hawaii Kai is much more similar to its western neighbor (Kuliouou) than it is to its eastern neighbor (Waimanalo). And, Waimanalo is considered rural.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: What makes some areas of Oahu/neighbor islands more successful at football than others?

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:48 pm @ChadFukuoka: But, you can't say that just because a school is suburban, it's not townie. Take Kaiser High, for example. Kaiser High is the most typically suburban school on Oahu, yet it's pure townie. The only students there who aren't really townie are the GEs from Waimanalo, who would usually go to Kailua High. Remember, Hawaii Kai--Kaiser High's geographic district--is on the eastern fringe of Honolulu proper, yes, but it's still part of Honolulu proper. Hawaii Kai is much more similar to its western neighbor (Kuliouou) than it is to its eastern neighbor (Waimanalo). And, Waimanalo is considered rural.
I’ve only lived in Aiea and Mililani. I can’t speak for the Honolulu area since I’ve never lived there. I guess your definition of townie is a neighborhood near the main city, commercialized, upper class demographically and socioeconomically.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:48 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:48 pm @ChadFukuoka: But, you can't say that just because a school is suburban, it's not townie. Take Kaiser High, for example. Kaiser High is the most typically suburban school on Oahu, yet it's pure townie. The only students there who aren't really townie are the GEs from Waimanalo, who would usually go to Kailua High. Remember, Hawaii Kai--Kaiser High's geographic district--is on the eastern fringe of Honolulu proper, yes, but it's still part of Honolulu proper. Hawaii Kai is much more similar to its western neighbor (Kuliouou) than it is to its eastern neighbor (Waimanalo). And, Waimanalo is considered rural.
I’ve only lived in Aiea and Mililani. I can’t speak for the Honolulu area since I’ve never lived there. I guess your definition of townie is a neighborhood near the main city, commercialized, upper class demographically and socioeconomically.
@ChadFukuoka: Well, I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the subject; I'm not a sociologist. But, my understanding is that people from rural areas of the island will paint you as a townie if you live within Honolulu city proper. I'm basing that impression mostly on the experience of a teacher who used to teach at Leilehua High, but lived in Honolulu city proper all his life. The students there, called him a townie. He told me way back then that he couldn't understand why Wahiawa kids would see him so differently, just because he lived in town. After all, Oahu is a relatively small island; just a speck on a world map or on a globe.

XLT1000
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: none
NBA: none
NFL: none

Post by XLT1000 »

Well you know, BIIF, MIL, KIF, OIA, ILH, the only 5 leagues in Hawai'i. If you go to BIIF, the island only has 5 high schools. But If you go to Oahu, they have lots of high schools. More than 15. The competition is in the ranks and well as disparity. Jacob Igawa is a good example. He plays like OIA, yet he came from BIIF. It works both ways really. I never heard of Kelsey Isa. But they did. I heard of Jacob Igawa though. Do you see my point? I hope so. That's the disparity on Oahu I am talking about. So, Jacob Igawa is acceptable. UH baseball Warriors 2022.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@XLT1000:

If you're talking about the OIA schools, my hunch is that it depends on whether the area in which the school is located, has youth leagues. Stands to reason that areas that have strong youth-league programs will see most of their players eventually attend the neighborhood high school. As for the ILH, it's anything goes, as ILH schools draw student-athletes from all over the island. Don't know if ILH schools recruit in baseball, the way some of them do in football.