Road Warriors

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Road Warriors

Post by unpaid »

I’ve been taking a closer look at the football schedules and gamesites. St.Louis ,no stadium, is on the road for every game.Disadvantage STL,but they can probably overcome it. Kahuku is getting their field worked on ,so they are on the road all year too. Disadvantage Kahuku,but they can overcome it. The Kahuku-St.Louis game is being played at Mililani. Advantage Mililani, you know the Trojan coaches and kids will scout that game.Punahou ,stadium no lights, is playing all but one of its games on the road. The one game they want home cooking on at 3 pm is ,surprise.....St.Louis. Kamehameha ,even with a stadium and lights,is only playing Punahou at home. The St.Louis game will be at Skippa Diaz on the Farrington campus. What’s up with Kamehameha when they are only playing one game at home. Is something wrong with the field?

This has the potential to wear on the ILH schools for years to come if they can’t come up with a facility to replace what the venue at Aloha stadium gave them.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Road Warriors

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:13 am I’ve been taking a closer look at the football schedules and gamesites. St.Louis ,no stadium, is on the road for every game.Disadvantage STL,but they can probably overcome it. Kahuku is getting their field worked on ,so they are on the road all year too. Disadvantage Kahuku,but they can overcome it. The Kahuku-St.Louis game is being played at Mililani. Advantage Mililani, you know the Trojan coaches and kids will scout that game.Punahou ,stadium no lights, is playing all but one of its games on the road. The one game they want home cooking on at 3 pm is ,surprise.....St.Louis. Kamehameha ,even with a stadium and lights,is only playing Punahou at home. The St.Louis game will be at Skippa Diaz on the Farrington campus. What’s up with Kamehameha when they are only playing one game at home. Is something wrong with the field?

This has the potential to wear on the ILH schools for years to come if they can’t come up with a facility to replace what the venue at Aloha stadium gave them.
Since all of the private schools are near or in downtown Honolulu, I wonder if they’ll just make an agreement to play at T.C Ching field. I’m sure it would be cheaper than what they paid to play at Aloha Stadium. I believe one year even St Francis played games there, when they were still around.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

TC Ching would be the closest the ILH could get to get near the old relationship the league had with Aloha stadium. When you look at the schedules for football, states are TBD,so nobody has worked out an agreement with UH to have the HS state finals at UH Manoa, or any other venue yet. UH is still focused on trying to get their field ready for their team to compete on the college level. Doesn’t mean there aren’t talks going on between UH and the ILH,but UH is really under the gun as far as having a place for the Warriors to host opponents this fall.

We are living in interesting times.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

With or without Aloha Stadium, most of the interleague games would occur at OIA fields. Aloha Stadium would've hosted the big ones (Kahuku and Mililani vs. St. Louis and Punahou).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

unpaid wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:13 am I’ve been taking a closer look at the football schedules and gamesites. St.Louis ,no stadium, is on the road for every game.Disadvantage STL,but they can probably overcome it. Kahuku is getting their field worked on ,so they are on the road all year too. Disadvantage Kahuku,but they can overcome it. The Kahuku-St.Louis game is being played at Mililani. Advantage Mililani, you know the Trojan coaches and kids will scout that game.Punahou ,stadium no lights, is playing all but one of its games on the road. The one game they want home cooking on at 3 pm is ,surprise.....St.Louis. Kamehameha ,even with a stadium and lights,is only playing Punahou at home. The St.Louis game will be at Skippa Diaz on the Farrington campus. What’s up with Kamehameha when they are only playing one game at home. Is something wrong with the field?

A possible problem with Kamehameha Kapalama home games is their parking situation from what I can guess. Not a lot of close by parking, parking spread out around the campus, and that hill to climb down/up, then up/down or vice versa, from the cars to the field. Nice view though.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Maybe the ILH schools need to take the venue problems into their own hands. It looks to be several years,if at all, that a replacement for Aloha gets constructed. If UH allows the ILH to play games at TC Ching...great...but what if they don’t?
Iolani has taken what I call the hardcore approach. They have a stadium but no lights . They regularly host games at 3pm at Kozuki and have home cooking more so than any other ILH school. Why no can afford lights? Punahou has an old stadium with no lights. They actually played a game there in 2019 for the first time in several decades. Again,private school,but you can’t afford lighting for night games.Of course,the Puns stadium is really old so maybe fixing the seats is too much..Kamehameha has parking issues. Well,why did they not get parking figured out before they built a stadium that doesn’t have convenient nearby parking. Kamehameha is playing ten regular season games soon and they only have one game at home because people have to walk too far?Maybe UH will solve the ILH issues , or maybe that Aloha replacement gets built, but it seems to me thatSt.Louis,Punahou,and Kamehameha need to get on campus venues up and running. Can’t count on state funded sites to give a place to play home games.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:28 pm Maybe the ILH schools need to take the venue problems into their own hands. It looks to be several years,if at all, that a replacement for Aloha gets constructed. If UH allows the ILH to play games at TC Ching...great...but what if they don’t?
Iolani has taken what I call the hardcore approach. They have a stadium but no lights . They regularly host games at 3pm at Kozuki and have home cooking more so than any other ILH school. Why no can afford lights? Punahou has an old stadium with no lights. They actually played a game there in 2019 for the first time in several decades. Again,private school,but you can’t afford lighting for night games.Of course,the Puns stadium is really old so maybe fixing the seats is too much..Kamehameha has parking issues. Well,why did they not get parking figured out before they built a stadium that doesn’t have convenient nearby parking. Kamehameha is playing ten regular season games soon and they only have one game at home because people have to walk too far?Maybe UH will solve the ILH issues , or maybe that Aloha replacement gets built, but it seems to me thatSt.Louis,Punahou,and Kamehameha need to get on campus venues up and running. Can’t count on state funded sites to give a place to play home games.
I think the issue might have been they never expected Aloha Stadium to be out of use/eventually torn down. They didn’t expect to need a back up plan.

Didn’t they play games at the old Honolulu Stadium (affectionately called the “Termite Palace”) a long time ago? So even then, home games on school grounds/fields may not have been their first choice.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

My freshman year in high school was 68-69 at Radford. ILH played at Honolulu Stadium. When I was in high school , there weren’t any state championships. On Thanksgiving, the OIA and ILH had postseason games that featured the regular season ILH 1vs2 and 3vs4 place teams. The other two games featured the OIA 1vs2 and 3vs4 teams. These games took place at Honolulu Stadium. Attendance was sometime in the tens of thousands. I am not sure,but I don’t think Iolani or Kamehameha had their current stadiums built then. Punahou hadn’t used their stadium for a game since the 40’s if I am not mistaken.

So, for whatever reason, the ILH private schools got hooked on a large capacity public facility in town to play home games.
They neglected the advantage of having an on campus facility. Now, there is not a sure solution to having a big venue to replace Aloha and the on campus facility is either not available ie St.Louis, or not desirable,ie Punahou and Kamehameha.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:03 pm My freshman year in high school was 68-69 at Radford. ILH played at Honolulu Stadium. When I was in high school , there weren’t any state championships. On Thanksgiving, the OIA and ILH had postseason games that featured the regular season ILH 1vs2 and 3vs4 place teams. The other two games featured the OIA 1vs2 and 3vs4 teams. These games took place at Honolulu Stadium. Attendance was sometime in the tens of thousands. I am not sure,but I don’t think Iolani or Kamehameha had their current stadiums built then. Punahou hadn’t used their stadium for a game since the 40’s if I am not mistaken.

So, for whatever reason, the ILH private schools got hooked on a large capacity public facility in town to play home games.
They neglected the advantage of having an on campus facility. Now, there is not a sure solution to having a big venue to replace Aloha and the on campus facility is either not available ie St.Louis, or not desirable,ie Punahou and Kamehameha.

When did the Prep Bowl originate? I’m guessing in the 70’s?

I guess back then, a lot of schools were either in downtown Honolulu, or on the east side of the island (Kaiser, Kailua, etc). I graduated from Aiea in 2007. I think Aiea HS was founded sometime in the mid 60’s. I know the whole West Oahu area used to be all cane or plantation fields before then.

Maybe it was just demographics from that era. All of the densely populated areas were in town or on the east part of the island, so Honolulu was the perfect location for a big event.

Now it seems the shift in demographics is to move towards the west or central Oahu area. Campbell and Mililani have two of the highest enrollments in the island, along with good coaching, maybe that explains their recent success (Mililani with a state title, Campbell solidly in the upper half of the OIA open division schools, they were Division 2 for a while).

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:28 pm Maybe the ILH schools need to take the venue problems into their own hands. It looks to be several years,if at all, that a replacement for Aloha gets constructed. If UH allows the ILH to play games at TC Ching...great...but what if they don’t?
Every year we played Iolani, we played during the day. I can't remember the last time we played Iolani at the stadium. We also played St. Louis at our place during the day in 1993 (the year 4 teams tied for first in the ILH). What happened in 2019 for the first time in decades was that Kamehameha faced us at our campus. We played at their campus in 2002 (we were their homecoming fodder). We've also played Waianae, Campbell, and Moanalua at our place, along with many outer island teams.

Regarding lights, other people have said that playing night games at Punahou or Iolani would upset nearby residents. One issue I've got with that sentiment is that why has Castle managed to make night games work (despite having many people live nearby)?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:01 pm
Every year we played Iolani, we played during the day. I can't remember the last time we played Iolani at the stadium. We also played St. Louis at our place during the day in 1993 (the year 4 teams tied for first in the ILH). What happened in 2019 for the first time in decades was that Kamehameha faced us at our campus. We played at their campus in 2002 (we were their homecoming fodder). We've also played Waianae, Campbell, and Moanalua at our place, along with many outer island teams.

Regarding lights, other people have said that playing night games at Punahou or Iolani would upset nearby residents. One issue I've got with that sentiment is that why has Castle managed to make night games work (despite having many people live nearby)?
I’m not sure if upsetting residents is the reason for not having night games. There’s at least a couple of nearby neighborhoods or residential areas next to most schools anyway. You can see the lights and hear the noise at Mililani, Aiea, and Leilehua, if you live in the surrounding streets across the school grounds. Those are just the ones I’ve been to, besides games at Aloha Stadium.

It’s weird, but I know when the Mililani theaters got their neon lights, some residents living across the street from it complained about the lights being too bright. But the football stadium never seemed to bother anyone who was living across from it in that part of town.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Foster Village right across the street From Radford. You got those Condo towers across the street from Moanalua. Both schools have lights for night games. Maybe some neighbors complain louder than others.McKinley would love to have an on-site facility,but neighboring condo residents definitely don’t want lights from a hypothetical Tiger stadium.

First Prep Bowl was in 1973. I was in the USAF then. Checked on Kamehameha and Iolani’s current stadiums. Kamehameha opened their stadium in 2002, and Iolani’s place was completed just before the 2003 football season. That said ,Iolani’s football field and track predated the construction of Kozuki stadium by a while.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:12 pm Foster Village right across the street From Radford. You got those Condo towers across the street from Moanalua. Both schools have lights for night games. Maybe some neighbors complain louder than others.McKinley would love to have an on-site facility,but neighboring condo residents definitely don’t want lights from a hypothetical Tiger stadium.

First Prep Bowl was in 1973. I was in the USAF then. Checked on Kamehameha and Iolani’s current stadiums. Kamehameha opened their stadium in 2002, and Iolani’s place was completed just before the 2003 football season. That said ,Iolani’s football field and track predated the construction of Kozuki stadium by a while.
Even before 2003, we played at Iolani's field every year between 1990 and 2001. We also played there in 1984, 1986, and 1988.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I did a brief archive search through old Star-Bulletin articles. Never found any mention of when Iolani built it’s football field. However,one article indicated that the last time the Iolani campus moved locations was in 1942 when they moved into the area the school now occupies. So,you could assume that the football field could possibly have been at Iolani since the 1940’s at the earliest.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

If anyone believes the State will rebuild Aloha Stadium in 3 years, good luck. It’s time UH and High school start fending for themselves.

Like the airport, and the convention center, the stadium is a tax cash cow that provides milk for those fortunate few.