Kale Ane To Coach McKinley!!!!!!!

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Kale Ane To Coach McKinley!!!!!!!

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 pm McKinley hasn’t always been abysmally bad. There was one year where they reached the semifinals of the D1 state tournament and another year where they beat KAHUKU!
@gopunahou: Well, that is true. I think McKinley High made it to the D1 state semifinals in '03. And yes, they beat Kahuku High by a field goal, and I think that was in '02, or sometime around there. I know it was no later than '05.
2006 was the year McKinley beat Kahuku. A year when Kahuku won the state championship.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:59 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:12 pm
My3Cats wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:42 am It's tough for the town side schools to compete with the central and west side schools because of the population shift that's been happening for several years now. I wish coach Ane well. Back in my high school days, Campbell was a rather small country school and is now bursting at the seams, never had a Kapolei, and Mililani was just starting up.
@My3Cats: That's true. Mililani High was established in '73, and Kapolei High was established in '00, I think. Today, I think Campbell High is the largest public high school, enrollment-wise, on Oahu.
Mililani has been very successful in recent years, even winning a state title with McKenzie Milton, Vavae Malepeai, and Kalakaua Timeteo in 2014.

As more and more people continue to move to the west side of the island, avoiding the more expensive downtown Honolulu living costs, I wonder if these schools will see increased football success. Will Campbell or Kapolei break through like Mililani has in terms of being an elite OIA team? From your previous post, it doesn’t seem like private schools are recruiting this part of the island.

It seems like Darren Hernandez has done a pretty good job in getting some of his Kapolei players college scholarships, but they haven’t risen to the top of the league yet. He seems to have a lot of college connections.
@ChadFukuoka: Well, really, it seems the cost of living is high anywhere and everywhere on Oahu, not just in town. Both Campbell High and Kapolei High have been above-average in football for the past ten years, at least. Campbell High, in particular, has arguably been one of the top five schools in the state for football. I'd say Campbell High is already an elite OIA team. As for private schools recruiting, actually I'd imagine they'd rip-off players from anywhere on the island, as long as those players are worth it. As you said, Mililani High is now an elite OIA team; I've heard that private schools have been trying to recruit their players the past several years.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:40 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:12 pm

@My3Cats: That's true. Mililani High was established in '73, and Kapolei High was established in '00, I think. Today, I think Campbell High is the largest public high school, enrollment-wise, on Oahu.
Mililani has been very successful in recent years, even winning a state title with McKenzie Milton, Vavae Malepeai, and Kalakaua Timeteo in 2014.

As more and more people continue to move to the west side of the island, avoiding the more expensive downtown Honolulu living costs, I wonder if these schools will see increased football success. Will Campbell or Kapolei break through like Mililani has in terms of being an elite OIA team? From your previous post, it doesn’t seem like private schools are recruiting this part of the island.

It seems like Darren Hernandez has done a pretty good job in getting some of his Kapolei players college scholarships, but they haven’t risen to the top of the league yet. He seems to have a lot of college connections.
I'd take that any day over seeing another St. Louis dynasty. We need that as much as we need Iolani boys basketball, Kamehameha girls volleyball, and Punahou baseball winning every year. Oh wait...
@gopunahou: Your last sentence is apropos. Iolani School has fallen somewhat in boys' basketball over the past several years or so. While Kamehameha Schools has been D1 ILH champs in girls' volleyball the past three years, they didn't go undefeated this past season. In fact, your alma mater kicked their butts in straight sets during one match. And of course, while Punahou School had a 7-year D1 state title streak up to several years ago, they lost to St Louis School for the ILH title this past year.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:42 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 pm McKinley hasn’t always been abysmally bad. There was one year where they reached the semifinals of the D1 state tournament and another year where they beat KAHUKU!
@gopunahou: Well, that is true. I think McKinley High made it to the D1 state semifinals in '03. And yes, they beat Kahuku High by a field goal, and I think that was in '02, or sometime around there. I know it was no later than '05.
2006 was the year McKinley beat Kahuku. A year when Kahuku won the state championship.
@gopunahou: Really? OK. I could have sworn it was no later than '05. But, yes, I do remember that Kahuku High had gone on to win the state D1 title that same year that they had lost to McKinley High.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:33 pm
poidog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:56 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:40 am

@poidog: OK; that explains the (few) good teams Kalani High had during that era. When were the Lees coaching there? Think it was the mid-2000s or something? And the amazing thing is that both Cal and Ron were only ACs at that school (Greg Taguchi was HC, right?) Kind of amazing to think that kids on the high school level would "migrate" to where the good coaches are. Back in the mid-'70s, when I was in high school, you just played for whichever school you were at.
I think the Lee brothers were there from 2013 - 2015 under Greg Taguchi. I believe the QB was a St. Louis transfer and I personally know of at least a couple other kids who transferred there specifically to play for the Lees.

I used to be very against HS athletes transferring, but now I'm very much for it. High School is so short and if you get stuck in the wrong situation your career will be over before you know it. I played hoops in HS for one of today's very prominent local basketball coaches, but back in the 90's he was just out of college and he was very young and ignorant and not qualified to be a leader of young men. in my senior year we were coming off the two most successful seasons at our school in like 10 years, but he decided that it was a "rebuilding" year and decided it was best to focus on the underclassmen, even though we had a senior returning starter (me). I wasted my senior year coming off the bench, he got fired before the end of the season, and we followed up two straight playoff appearances by going 2-7. It never entered my mind to transfer "down the road" but looking back I totally should have. Even if I didn't start there (and I might have), I would have enjoyed my senior season a lot more and I wouldn't have held that frustration with me as long as I did because I would have felt like I had taken some control of my situation instead of letting the situation control me.

sorry for the rant!
@poidog: No, I guess you're entitled to rant, given your experience. But, I still kind of take a dim view of chasing good coaches, rather than simply playing at the school you're at. I mean, the grass always seems to be greener on the other side. If a kid really has the size/height/talent to go really far, I suspect college scouts would probably know about it, regardless of which school he plays for. Take that Tolentino kid who plays basketball for Maryknoll School. He's like, what, 7'? Of course, Maryknoll School is known for basketball, and it's been that way since what, the mid-'70s? Now, let's consider a school that isn't known for basketball. How about, say, Nanakuli High? If Tolentino were playing for Nanakuli High, would college scouts not know about him? Some guys think he could play pro someday. If he's that good, any college scout worth his salt should know about him, regardless of which school he's playing for.

Regarding the Lees at Kalani High, I didn't know they were there as recently as 2015; I thought they were there some years before. Also, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if the Lees were to invite players from St Louis School to follow them to Kalani High. But, why would they leave St Louis' football team, which was much better than Kalani's team? Perhaps those transferring players weren't good enough to start at St Louis? I don't know.
I think your two separate scenarios somewhat tie into each other. Good athletes strive to go to where they can be best developed and coached.

Why would someone from St Louis transfer to Kalani? Playing time makes a big difference. St Louis has over a hundred players on the high school team (varsity, and those “JV” players who likely don’t see the field). If you can start for a legendary head coach in Hawaii high school football, and be taught and coached in the same system, then why sit on the bench? Especially if you’re a QB or receiver.

Football is really the only sport I follow, but as far as the basketball scenario you described, maybe the kid wouldn’t be as good playing for a weaker team in a lower division. Nanakuli is in division 2 in basketball. They aren’t playing the best teams on the island. Maybe the player you mentioned wouldn’t be developed or as prepared for the college level, if he didn’t go to Maryknoll, a school that competes for state titles. High school sports are different from college, but maybe it’s like saying if Tua or Marcus played for UH instead of Alabama and Oregon, would they have played in elite bowl games, won a national title (in Tua’s case), or at least played for one (in Marcus’s case), and been drafted to the NFL and made millions, setting up them and their families for life.

People seek out opportunities that will benefit them the most. Maybe it’s just a matter of your hometown or neighborhood school not having everything.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:12 am

I'd take that any day over seeing another St. Louis dynasty. We need that as much as we need Iolani boys basketball, Kamehameha girls volleyball, and Punahou baseball winning every year. Oh wait...
@gopunahou: Your last sentence is apropos. Iolani School has fallen somewhat in boys' basketball over the past several years or so. While Kamehameha Schools has been D1 ILH champs in girls' volleyball the past three years, they didn't go undefeated this past season. In fact, your alma mater kicked their butts in straight sets during one match. And of course, while Punahou School had a 7-year D1 state title streak up to several years ago, they lost to St Louis School for the ILH title this past year.
I didn't find it surprising at all that our baseball team didn't beat St. Louis last year. The year baseball was cancelled because of COVID, our team was stacked with seniors including Makana Murashige and Koa Eldredge. We were favorites to take a second straight championship before that doodoo went down.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:47 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:12 am
I didn't find it surprising at all that our baseball team didn't beat St. Louis last year. The year baseball was cancelled because of COVID, our team was stacked with seniors including Makana Murashige and Koa Eldredge. We were favorites to take a second straight championship before that doodoo went down.
@gopunahou: Well, even so, they lost by only one run, 2-1.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Back to the Kale Ane hiring at McKinley and away from the Lee brothers.

I will follow McKinley ball this year. Hope OC16 will also. The depletion of quality players away from the Kaimuki"s,McKinleys, Roosevelt's, and Farringtons has happened more over the last 3 decades. No secret that the housing of Kalihi and Mayor Wrights have produced the cream of the crop. No cut on those who chose ILH over public. Its progress. But yes it depletes.

I see Ane doing the same thing York is doing at Mililani. Create a high quality program that will succeed in all aspects of high school program. Maybe now the kids won't have to travel across the island. Very interesting.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:27 pm Back to the Kale Ane hiring at McKinley and away from the Lee brothers.

I will follow McKinley ball this year. Hope OC16 will also. The depletion of quality players away from the Kaimuki"s,McKinleys, Roosevelt's, and Farringtons has happened more over the last 3 decades. No secret that the housing of Kalihi and Mayor Wrights have produced the cream of the crop. No cut on those who chose ILH over public. Its progress. But yes it depletes.

I see Ane doing the same thing York is doing at Mililani. Create a high quality program that will succeed in all aspects of high school program. Maybe now the kids won't have to travel across the island. Very interesting.
@TheNewNORM: Well, I doubt that OC16 will be broadcasting McKinley High's games. OC16 seems to focus only on the ILH schools and the stronger OIA schools. I didn't know that Kaimuki High, Roosevelt High, and Farrington High had been getting raided for good players; I've heard only about McKinley High. I suspect that MWH is the housing project that probably produces the best football players overall. I don't know of any projects that Roosevelt High has, but they do have Papakolea. Kaimuki High has Palolo Valley Homes, and Farrington High has KPT and Kam IV. Of course, McKinley High also has Lanakila Homes. But, for McKinley High, the gold mine is MWH. Unfortunately for that school, though, St Louis School has been robbing them blind for over 30 years. What can you do? It's one of those things.

I suspect Kale had been recruiting from Kahuku High for some 15 years. I don't think he'll be able to do that at McKinley High; their team is simply too weak to draw players away from Kahuku High; there's no incentive. I think the only OIA school that has any chance of recruiting players from Kahuku High, is Mililani High. I guess I have to give credit to Kale for taking the HC job at McKinley High. He's what, 68 years old? He could easily have hung it up, but he apparently loves coaching enough to move on from what happened at his alma mater, Punahou School, and start a new chapter of his coaching career at a different school.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Don’t worry about dynasties. The DOE is on the path to cancelling competition for a second year in a row. In fall 2022 you will be hoping you can go out to eat at a restaurant,much less see your alma Mater play in a sports game. Gov Ige is talking about reinstating some lockdowns. No wonder. 40 percent of locals haven’t taken the vaccine and you think HS sports are going to start in October. Dream on,sorry to say.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:47 am Don’t worry about dynasties. The DOE is on the path to cancelling competition for a second year in a row. In fall 2022 you will be hoping you can go out to eat at a restaurant,much less see your alma Mater play in a sports game. Gov Ige is talking about reinstating some lockdowns. No wonder. 40 percent of locals haven’t taken the vaccine and you think HS sports are going to start in October. Dream on,sorry to say.
@unpaid: That's true. Actually, if your alma mater doesn't have a football dynasty, you probably won't care about dynasties, right? Take St Louis School, for example. If you're not a St Louis alumnus, why would you care about their dynasty, or any other school's football dynasty? In fact, not only might you not care about it, you might resent it.
As for cancelling high school sports, yes, I agree with you. It's this doggone pandemic, and that blasted Delta variant in particular. And, yes: Why the heck haven't more locals gotten the vaccine? The ones who haven't, are the ones who have been driving the god-awful triple-digit infection spikes we've being seeing on Oahu for the past two weeks or so.