Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:22 pm Kapaa 38-0 halftime. This will be the first state championship for the island of Kauai. Kapaa with 5 touchdowns, 4 two point conversions. I’m assuming they don’t have a reliable place kicker, and just go for two every time.
I can’t imagine Kapaa blowing this. Should they win, it’ll be great not only for Kauai but for Kapaa. They’ve traditionally played third fiddle to Waimea (which dominated Kauai in the 90s and early 2000s) and Kauai (which dominated most of the 2000s and won some KIF titles in the 2010s).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:22 pm I feel so sorry for this KS Maui team...
i think this Kapaa team would blow up Iolani, but check their birth certificates first! These guys look like college guys.
@OldManJenkins:

I think what's screwed Kamehameha - Maui is the rain, as they get half their yards through the air, whereas Kapaa is almost exclusively run-oriented, with a thick O-line.

And, yes, I would love to see Kapaa play Iolani. Kapaa's O-line is thick, and if Kamehameha - Maui's D-line can't stop them, Iolani's D-line can't. It's almost certain that D2 Kapaa would beat D1 Iolani. Too bad we'll never see the game played.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:33 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:22 pm Kapaa 38-0 halftime. This will be the first state championship for the island of Kauai. Kapaa with 5 touchdowns, 4 two point conversions. I’m assuming they don’t have a reliable place kicker, and just go for two every time.
I can’t imagine Kapaa blowing this. Should they win, it’ll be great not only for Kauai but for Kapaa. They’ve traditionally played third fiddle to Waimea (which dominated Kauai in the 90s and early 2000s) and Kauai (which dominated most of the 2000s and won some KIF titles in the 2010s).
@gopunahou: I could just hear Kapaa saying, "Bring on Iolani!" As a Punahou alumnus, I'd bet you'd like to see it happen! I would, too, as I don't care for Iolani School, either. Wouldn't it be something to see the (Kapaa) Warriors make the Raiders eat humble pie! I mean, could you imagine what Kapaa's O-line would do to Iolani's D-line? Man, that would be something to see! They'd make roadkill of them.

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

place kicker got hurt last game.
Kapaa is huge! one O-lineman is 6'6" 300# total line weight comparable to St' louis over 1,500#
They have a receiver 6' 235#

Scored again...
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

So much for the stereotypical notion that D2 schools have "small" players.

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

6'5" 420# !!!
I wish scoring live had their player stats, I'm sure it would be impressive

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:39 pm
@gopunahou: I could just hear Kapaa saying, "Bring on Iolani!" As a Punahou alumnus, I'd bet you'd like to see it happen! I would, too, as I don't care for Iolani School, either. Wouldn't it be something to see the (Kapaa) Warriors make the Raiders eat humble pie! I mean, could you imagine what Kapaa's O-line would do to Iolani's D-line? Man, that would be something to see! They'd make roadkill of them.
It would have to be a non league preseason game. The KIF will always be in D2, with only 3 teams. But neighbor island teams have made the trip to Oahu for preseason games, and Oahu teams have traveled off island to play on the road.

I also wonder if any Open teams would be willing to schedule Iolani for a preseason game. Kahuku or Mililani may be too tough of a matchup, but how would Iolani do against a Leilehua or Kapolei for example?

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

KS-maui had got ravaged by covid. They only have 38 eligible players tonight.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Kapaa leads 61-7, in the 4th quarter. If the score holds, is this the biggest margin of victory in a state title game, at any level?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:00 pm Kapaa leads 61-7, in the 4th quarter. If the score holds, is this the biggest margin of victory in a state title game, at any level?
The previous record was 49 points when Pac-Five beat Waianae in the 1985 Prep Bowl. Yes, Pac-Five could once hang with the big boys. This was also the period when we were cellar dwellers in the ILH.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:25 pm
It would have to be a non league preseason game. The KIF will always be in D2, with only 3 teams. But neighbor island teams have made the trip to Oahu for preseason games, and Oahu teams have traveled off island to play on the road.

I also wonder if any Open teams would be willing to schedule Iolani for a preseason game. Kahuku or Mililani may be too tough of a matchup, but how would Iolani do against a Leilehua or Kapolei for example?
@ChadFukuoka:

After what we saw last night, HHSAA has to insist that for next year, if Kapaa wins the KIF, they have to compete in the D1 State tournament, or they won't be invited to States at all.

If an Open school plays Iolani, Iolani will probably have to do the asking. If I were an Open coach, I think it would be kind of embarrassing to approach a D1 school like Iolani School for a game. But if Iolani School does the asking, then the Open coach can say, "Well, they asked to play us."

I wonder if Kamehameha - Kapalama is pissed at what Kapaa did to Kamehameha - Maui. After all, that's Kamehameha - Kapalama's sister school. What if Kamehameha - Kapalama challenged Kapaa to a game next year? Perhaps Kamehameha - Kapalama might be thinking, "OK, you kicked our sister school's butt; now we're gonna kick your butt. We'll make you pay."

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:37 pm KS-maui had got ravaged by covid. They only have 38 eligible players tonight.
@OldManJenkins:

Oh, that's what happened. After how they kicked Kaiser High's butts, I thought they were better than what they showed last night. OK; that explains everything.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:00 pm Kapaa leads 61-7, in the 4th quarter. If the score holds, is this the biggest margin of victory in a state title game, at any level?
@ChadFukuoka:

Looks like Kamehameha - Maui was playing with a "COVID handicap".

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:15 am
The previous record was 49 points when Pac-Five beat Waianae in the 1985 Prep Bowl. Yes, Pac-Five could once hang with the big boys. This was also the period when we were cellar dwellers in the ILH.
@gopunahou:

Oh yeah, Pac-Five kicked butt in football from the early- to mid-'80s, without a doubt. Obviously, their star has really fallen since then. Players from Pac-Five's teams of that era must cringe when they watch Pac-Five today. I'm not saying that Pac-Five absolutely sucks today; they don't. There are teams considerably weaker than them. But, Pac-Five was so much better back then.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:07 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:25 pm

@ChadFukuoka:

After what we saw last night, HHSAA has to insist that for next year, if Kapaa wins the KIF, they have to compete in the D1 State tournament, or they won't be invited to States at all.

If an Open school plays Iolani, Iolani will probably have to do the asking. If I were an Open coach, I think it would be kind of embarrassing to approach a D1 school like Iolani School for a game. But if Iolani School does the asking, then the Open coach can say, "Well, they asked to play us."

I wonder if Kamehameha - Kapalama is pissed at what Kapaa did to Kamehameha - Maui. After all, that's Kamehameha - Kapalama's sister school. What if Kamehameha - Kapalama challenged Kapaa to a game next year? Perhaps Kamehameha - Kapalama might be thinking, "OK, you kicked our sister school's butt; now we're gonna kick your butt. We'll make you pay."
I’m sure Iolani wouldn’t want to do this because of the physical size difference, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Iolani play any of the ILH Open teams in a preseason game. Iolani hasn’t played their biggest rival Punahou, since the ILH split into two divisions I believe.