Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

I think Kahuku will enter next season as favorites, with many key contributors coming back. Their backup QB also played solidly this past season and will be back

Barring injuries or defections, Punahou should be better than this past year. If the schedules look the way they did in 2018 and 2019, I see at least five or six Open teams we can beat.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:57 pm Not everyone is a Kahuku fan, but you gotta feel good for them. And if I were a Kahuku fan, I'd dedicate this championship to Kona Schwenke, Pele Leiataua, Tommy Heffernan, Sr., Waika Carvalho, and David Vimahi. All cherished late members of the Kahuku ohana.
Nicely said.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:06 pm The long layoff really hurt St. Louis. You could see it last week against Mililani.
True that. Plus the OIA playoffs were keeping those teams sharp. Also this Saints team with 2 loses in the ILH was suspect.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:58 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:06 pm The long layoff really hurt St. Louis. You could see it last week against Mililani.
True that. Plus the OIA playoffs were keeping those teams sharp. Also this Saints team with 2 loses in the ILH was suspect.
Yeah even if never had long layoff I don't know if St. Louis could've beat Kahuku, but the long break made an already sus St Louis team even more so. Basically I think the game would've been closer than it was had St Louis not been on a long break.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:57 pm Not everyone is a Kahuku fan, but you gotta feel good for them. And if I were a Kahuku fan, I'd dedicate this championship to Kona Schwenke, Pele Leiataua, Tommy Heffernan, Sr., Waika Carvalho, and David Vimahi. All cherished late members of the Kahuku ohana.
@gopunahou:

I'm just glad St Louis lost. It didn't have to be a blowout; even if they lost by only 1 point, that would have been good enough for me. All that mattered for me was that they didn't take the title. Having said that, I'm still pretty pissed about Iolani winning D1. That's what's bugging me. See, I dislike Iolani School more than I dislike St Louis School.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@EITSwarrior:

Oh. I thought Mililani overperformed.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:37 am Final 2021 Top Ten,

1.Kahuku 10-0 2021 Open Division Champions.
2.St.Louis 6-4
3.Mililani 5-4
4.Kamehameha 3-3
5.Iolani 11-0 2021 Division I Champions.
6.Lahainaluna 7-1
7.Campbell 5-4
8.Konawaena 6-1
9.Aiea 4-3
10.Waianae 3-5

Kudos to all the players,coaches,and teams for getting through a season with Covid a constant threat.

I’m picking Kamehameha-Maui over Kapaa in the D-II championship final next week.

I have some reservations about all prep sports going forward. Covid continues to spread and basketball games and tournaments have been canceled. I think it is possible that the DOE is going to lockdown winter sports as this current spike continues. There will be other variants after Omicron and the next spike could see a postponement of fall sports in 2022.
Spring sports might be Ok and fall in between the current spike and the one to come after.
@unpaid:

So far, I haven't heard anything about the DOE locking-down OIA sports. But, there were nearly 1,300 new COVID cases on Oahu yesterday. I suspect the DOE might allow OIA sports to continue as long as all players are fully vaccinated, including the booster. There already are preseason boys' basketball games/tournaments happening, and that's an indoor sport, therefore more dangerous than an outdoor sport like football. This darned new Omicron variant is really screwing things up for high school sports.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:19 pm
@EITSwarrior:

Oh. I thought Mililani overperformed.
Yeah they did, but I could definitely see some rust on St. Louis' end.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:

Regarding your picking Kamehameha - Maui over Kapaa: I wonder if KS - Maui's D-line will have trouble with Kapaa's massive O-line. Isn't Kapaa run-oriented? I wonder how KS - Maui's D-linemen will deal with Kapaa's O-line elephants.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:07 am I think Kahuku will enter next season as favorites, with many key contributors coming back. Their backup QB also played solidly this past season and will be back

Barring injuries or defections, Punahou should be better than this past year. If the schedules look the way they did in 2018 and 2019, I see at least five or six Open teams we can beat.
@gopunahou:

OK, you know I dislike Punahou School, but I wouldn't be surprised if they take the Open ILH title. That's based on all the returnees they'll have. On the other hand, there are 2 things working in St Louis' favor: 1.) They were JV champs. 2.) Their B-team (St Louis II) was pretty tough; most of those players will be back, as St Louis II was basically a JV team. Of course, Kamehameha had a B-team, too (Kamehameha II). So, what's nuts is that both St Louis and Kamehameha in effect had two JV teams each. What's up with that?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@TheNewNORM:

But remember, those two losses were only by 2 and 3 points, respectively.

It's funny; just last night I was all "rah rah" and urging Kahuku on. Yes, I'm glad they won, but that gladness has been tempered by Iolani winning. Anyone else bothered by that? I'd rather Iolani School not win anything.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:36 pm
@TheNewNORM:

But remember, those two losses were only by 2 and 3 points, respectively.

It's funny; just last night I was all "rah rah" and urging Kahuku on. Yes, I'm glad they won, but that gladness has been tempered by Iolani winning. Anyone else bothered by that? I'd rather Iolani School not win anything.
Good thing Iolani AND St. Louis didn’t win on the same night. Had that happened, the narcissistic, Trump-loving subhuman that is Infidel would’ve come back and bragged here to no end.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

Oh, you are so right. I need to thank the Red Raiders for preventing my night from becoming a total disaster. Even with one of the games going the way I wanted, today I still have DOIolSW syndrome. ("DOIolSW" = "Dejection Over Iolani School Winning".)

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

A lot of people are saying the layoff was a factor in St. Louis losing as badly as they did, but one of the biggest factors was St. Louis's season-long weakness: turnovers. Turnovers killed them again.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

How many of those turnovers were forced? I.e., how many were "punch-outs" by Kahuku defenders? And even INTs, unless Bianco threw it directly at a Kahuku DB, well, that's just good coverage by those DBs.

This may surprise you, but I'm almost feeling sorry for St Louis alumni. Not because the Saints lost, but because of the lopsided score. I mean, if they had lost, say, 49-42, I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. But at 49-14, well, that's devastating. And, don't get me started on how Lahainaluna alumni must feel.