Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by unpaid »

The ILH-OIA alliance is back. The schedules prove it. A lot of this year’s rank is pure guesswork.Recruiting websites continue to get Hawaii guys in their national list of prospects. There was no football in 2020. This years seniors were sophomores in 2019 before the pandemic. Every team is going to have a large number of players who have not taken a snap at varsity level competition. I feel pretty confident about 1 and 2,but 3-10 basically going off what the schools have done on the field recently.

1.St.Louis.Only Hawaii school in the Maxpreps Top 100 for 2021. The offense should be humming with three stars AJ Bianco
QB,Devon Tauaefa WR,Laakea Kapoi OL,Jonah Savaiinaea OL,and Ethan Spencer OL.Three-star S Kona Moore
returns on defense.Iapani Laloulu ,four-star OL ,transferred in from Farrington.
2.Kahuku. Red Raiders will be a tough out if the Sammamish Five don’t bolt for the mainland again this fall,and there are
rumblings one or two of them might.We will see.Potentially,Four star LB Liona Lefau spearheads the defense
Along with three-stars Leonard Ah You LB and Brock Fonoimoana DB. QB Jason Mariteragi performed well on the
camp/combine circuit this year.

Update: Looks like Pruett will be playing at Monroe WA Hs.A couple of other players who have had Kahuku listed as their Hs have recently removed Mention of Kahuku as their school on social media,so there may be some others who wind up on the mainland again.
Update:FWIW, Akana shows up on Maxpreps as being on Skyridge,UT HS roster for this 21-22 football season.
3.Punahou. Top player is four star LB Tevarua Tafiti. New HC but he was promoted from within so there should be continuity
Inside the program.
4.Mililani. Top player is three star OL Tavo Motupuaka.
5.Campbell.
6.Iolani.
7.Farrington.
8.Hilo
9.Lahainaluna
10.Damien.

Lunas are D-I now. The MIL is league only until states so Lahaina did not have the chance to get a game or two against an Oahu D-I opponent early in the season.
Last edited by unpaid on Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

Surprising that I don't see Kamehameha here. Of course, they could benefit, being that they play their best when people overlook them.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I had to think long and hard about not putting Kamehameha in the top ten.In the end ,I decided their offense hasn’t been scoring enough points in 2018 and 2019 to make them a sure-fire contender for an Open Division title this year. Just waiting to see what the Warriors can do on offense this year.They usually can play defense well against anybody.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I saw on maxpreps that Mililani is playing Mater Dei. Man will that be a challenge for them, but gotta give props to Mililani if they are indeed playing Mater Dei.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think Mililani must have scheduled that Mater Dei game before the DOE came out with their tentative schedule for resuming fall sports.Maxpreps shows the
Mililani-Mater Dei game being on Saturday September 11 as one of the Trinity League Showcase games. On Scoringlive.com you can see Mililani’s Open Division schedule which has the Trojans playing Kamehameha on Saturday September 11. Mililani probably had to cancel the Mater Dei game because the league schedule would take precedence.Materdeifootball.net shows the Monarchs playing in the Showcase on September 11 but there is no opponent listed as of today.

St.Louis lucked out on the Bishop Gorman game because they drew a bye the week they had scheduled the Gaels.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Mililani and kahuku will be the top OIA squads. Mililani looking like they're in mid season form already. They've been playing ball for 6 months. spring club and right through the summer. They were the only team in the oia that played club ball with their team, mbc from Kapolei and trench dawgs from honolulu had a mix of players from different schools. Pearl city, windward and kahuku may have also. but milz had their whole team and coaching staff during the spring. that will pay off for them this fall. They're getting some good YOUNG talent from across the island to come play there also. QB is only a 9th grader
Kahuku got a killer squad. just off of talent, they're right there with STL and Puns...maybe even better. defensively they're head and shoulders above everyone. DBs, LBs and DL loaded with D1 talent. so much so that they're having a hard timing seeing were Akana, the nations top 2023 lb, will fit in. what a great problem to have hahaha
i think kam will open some eyes, looked like a good team in the ilh spring scrimmages.
Kapolei gonna be tough with the addition of some key players from Waianae. DL is stacked. Tagovailoa-Amosa at QB should be a solid addition.
Campbell always got players, new QB will be tested, young OL
Stl is young, especially on defense. going off of the spring, Bianco at QB has zero experience as a starter, spring he rotated. wrs and rb is brand new also, their best wrs in the spring were 2 seniors that have graduated. OL is stacked with some D1 players and experience. defense is young with 1 d1 recruit.
Puns is another young team, even younger than stl. sagapolutele at qb already has a season under his belt. he'll be good. skill guys young but talented. OL is real young and will get thrown in the fire, but will pay off in years to come. they have the states top recruit on defense, teva tafiti. they'll be young, but puns like stl always has talented players. they just need game experience

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:30 am I think Mililani must have scheduled that Mater Dei game before the DOE came out with their tentative schedule for resuming fall sports.Maxpreps shows the
Mililani-Mater Dei game being on Saturday September 11 as one of the Trinity League Showcase games. On Scoringlive.com you can see Mililani’s Open Division schedule which has the Trojans playing Kamehameha on Saturday September 11. Mililani probably had to cancel the Mater Dei game because the league schedule would take precedence.Materdeifootball.net shows the Monarchs playing in the Showcase on September 11 but there is no opponent listed as of today.

St.Louis lucked out on the Bishop Gorman game because they drew a bye the week they had scheduled the Gaels.
Mater Dei would've been a good challenge for Mililani.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Dog 96707 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:40 am Mililani and kahuku will be the top OIA squads. Mililani looking like they're in mid season form already. They've been playing ball for 6 months. spring club and right through the summer. They were the only team in the oia that played club ball with their team, mbc from Kapolei and trench dawgs from honolulu had a mix of players from different schools. Pearl city, windward and kahuku may have also. but milz had their whole team and coaching staff during the spring. that will pay off for them this fall. They're getting some good YOUNG talent from across the island to come play there also. QB is only a 9th grader
Kahuku got a killer squad. just off of talent, they're right there with STL and Puns...maybe even better. defensively they're head and shoulders above everyone. DBs, LBs and DL loaded with D1 talent. so much so that they're having a hard timing seeing were Akana, the nations top 2023 lb, will fit in. what a great problem to have hahaha
i think kam will open some eyes, looked like a good team in the ilh spring scrimmages.
Kapolei gonna be tough with the addition of some key players from Waianae. DL is stacked. Tagovailoa-Amosa at QB should be a solid addition.
Campbell always got players, new QB will be tested, young OL
Stl is young, especially on defense. going off of the spring, Bianco at QB has zero experience as a starter, spring he rotated. wrs and rb is brand new also, their best wrs in the spring were 2 seniors that have graduated. OL is stacked with some D1 players and experience. defense is young with 1 d1 recruit.
Puns is another young team, even younger than stl. sagapolutele at qb already has a season under his belt. he'll be good. skill guys young but talented. OL is real young and will get thrown in the fire, but will pay off in years to come. they have the states top recruit on defense, teva tafiti. they'll be young, but puns like stl always has talented players. they just need game experience
This year's edition sounds like our 2017 team. Of course, that team struggled to stay healthy at QB. If JK and Teva can stay healthy, we should win our share of games.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Why do so many of these interstate games get canceled?

Forget about DOE and DOH being cautious about COVID, Before the pandemic schools were having mainland games canceled too.

I am not in school admin, but, why is there such a mystery in the 808 about what your division schedule is going to be in the fall that any school can’t know what their open dates are going to be by May at the latest? That way, you could sign a contract with a mainland opponent that would not get canceled on our end.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:21 pm Why do so many of these interstate games get canceled?

Forget about DOE and DOH being cautious about COVID, Before the pandemic schools were having mainland games canceled too.

I am not in school admin, but, why is there such a mystery in the 808 about what your division schedule is going to be in the fall that any school can’t know what their open dates are going to be by May at the latest? That way, you could sign a contract with a mainland opponent that would not get canceled on our end.
I’ve noticed on the mainland, there is more of a set schedule in terms of schools staying in the same league, and playing the same format.

California has tons of divisions and leagues, but a lot of the time, it’s something like a 6,7, or 8 team league with every team playing each other, alternating home and away games every other season. Teams don’t really switch leagues, move up or down divisions as much, etc. Schools also have their own home fields with bleachers, or play all their games at a pre-designated neutral site for the whole year.

I’m not sure how things are in smaller states. But Indont think Hawaii has a set, locked in format now, especially since the ILH lost their neutral site location, and there is no agreed upon permanent site for state finals.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mililani-Mater Dei is back on per theStarAdvertiser. The September 11 game with Kamehameha-Mililani has been canceled by Kamehameha due to a positive COVID test. Mililani apparently will just go back to playing the original opponent they had scheduled in Mater Dei on that weekend.

I am curious, though. If the Warriors had one positive in late July,why have they canceled a game a month and a half ahead of time?From what I remember from last fall,Utah and Iowa had teams sit out for two weeks with no positives before a team could resume competition.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

OK,I’m getting a little more perspective on this Kamehameha COVID situation.

Went over to scoringlive.com and they show Kamehameha-Mililani was rescheduled for August 6 which would be next weekend. So,Kamehameha isn’t taking the nuclear option on it’s football team. With the game on August 6 that puts it within the two week quarantine period that mainland schools required. Reading between the lines, gotta commend Kamehameha. They are taking proper precautions to stop COVID spread within their school or to another school. It seems they were trying to help out Mililani by rescheduling the Sept 11 game to Aug 6 so the Trojans could get the game with Mater Dei back.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:42 am Mililani-Mater Dei is back on per theStarAdvertiser. The September 11 game with Kamehameha-Mililani has been canceled by Kamehameha due to a positive COVID test. Mililani apparently will just go back to playing the original opponent they had scheduled in Mater Dei on that weekend.

I am curious, though. If the Warriors had one positive in late July,why have they canceled a game a month and a half ahead of time?From what I remember from last fall,Utah and Iowa had teams sit out for two weeks with no positives before a team could resume competition.
Was just going to post this, so that’s awesome that Mililani will play MD. It’ll benefit them to do so.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Checking Kamehameha’s and Mililani’s schedules,and assuming Mililani keeps Mater Dei on their calendar,there is no available date where both schools have a bye to make up the game before OIA and ILH playoffs begin. Mililani and Kamehameha will have nine Open games instead of ten.

I haven’t seen anything yet to say what state and league admins plan to do about the already apparent
reality that some teams are going to play fewer division games than others. I know in Utah that was the case last year, but most of the higher profile teams that suffered Covid cancellations still made the playoffs on their WL record

Mililani would maybe have to lose three Open Division
games before getting in the playoffs gets a little doubtful. Of course, as the season goes on, more teams
Would undergo Covid-canceled games too, so things will even out like it did on the mainland last year.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:27 am Checking Kamehameha’s and Mililani’s schedules,and assuming Mililani keeps Mater Dei on their calendar,there is no available date where both schools have a bye to make up the game before OIA and ILH playoffs begin. Mililani and Kamehameha will have nine Open games instead of ten.

I haven’t seen anything yet to say what state and league admins plan to do about the already apparent
reality that some teams are going to play fewer division games than others. I know in Utah that was the case last year, but most of the higher profile teams that suffered Covid cancellations still made the playoffs on their WL record

Mililani would maybe have to lose three Open Division
games before getting in the playoffs gets a little doubtful. Of course, as the season goes on, more teams
Would undergo Covid-canceled games too, so things will even out like it did on the mainland last year.
Has the playoff format for states changed this year? Is it the top four based on overall record? I know in past years, the OIA only counted games against OIA opponents, and took their top three teams. Is it different now? If not, the game against Kamehameha wouldn’t affect Mililani, since they are an ILH team.