Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:31 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:07 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:25 pm
It would have to be a non league preseason game. The KIF will always be in D2, with only 3 teams. But neighbor island teams have made the trip to Oahu for preseason games, and Oahu teams have traveled off island to play on the road.

I also wonder if any Open teams would be willing to schedule Iolani for a preseason game. Kahuku or Mililani may be too tough of a matchup, but how would Iolani do against a Leilehua or Kapolei for example?
@ChadFukuoka:

After what we saw last night, HHSAA has to insist that for next year, if Kapaa wins the KIF, they have to compete in the D1 State tournament, or they won't be invited to States at all.

If an Open school plays Iolani, Iolani will probably have to do the asking. If I were an Open coach, I think it would be kind of embarrassing to approach a D1 school like Iolani School for a game. But if Iolani School does the asking, then the Open coach can say, "Well, they asked to play us."

I wonder if Kamehameha - Kapalama is pissed at what Kapaa did to Kamehameha - Maui. After all, that's Kamehameha - Kapalama's sister school. What if Kamehameha - Kapalama challenged Kapaa to a game next year? Perhaps Kamehameha - Kapalama might be thinking, "OK, you kicked our sister school's butt; now we're gonna kick your butt. We'll make you pay."
I’m sure Iolani wouldn’t want to do this because of the physical size difference, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Iolani play any of the ILH Open teams in a preseason game. Iolani hasn’t played their biggest rival Punahou, since the ILH split into two divisions I believe.
2016 was the last year we played them. I miss the rivalry, even though they’ve only beaten us once since 2001. There was a stretch where they had twice as many victories over us as we did over them (1980 to 1993).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:25 pm
It would have to be a non league preseason game. The KIF will always be in D2, with only 3 teams. But neighbor island teams have made the trip to Oahu for preseason games, and Oahu teams have traveled off island to play on the road.

I also wonder if any Open teams would be willing to schedule Iolani for a preseason game. Kahuku or Mililani may be too tough of a matchup, but how would Iolani do against a Leilehua or Kapolei for example?
@ChadFukuoka:

After what we saw last night, HHSAA has to insist that for next year, if Kapaa wins the KIF, they have to compete in the D1 State tournament, or they won't be invited to States at all.

If an Open school plays Iolani, Iolani will probably have to do the asking. If I were an Open coach, I think it would be kind of embarrassing to approach a D1 school like Iolani School for a game. But if Iolani School does the asking, then the Open coach can say, "Well, they asked to play us."

I wonder if Kamehameha - Kapalama is pissed at what Kapaa did to Kamehameha - Maui. After all, that's Kamehameha - Kapalama's sister school. What if Kamehameha - Kapalama challenged Kapaa to a game next year? Perhaps Kamehameha - Kapalama might be thinking, "OK, you kicked our sister school's butt; now we're gonna kick your butt. We'll make you pay."
I’m sure Iolani wouldn’t want to do this because of the physical size difference, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Iolani play any of the ILH Open teams in a preseason game. Iolani hasn’t played their biggest rival Punahou, since the ILH split into two divisions I believe.
@ChadFukuoka:

Well, I doubt that Iolani would choose to play Punahou any time soon. All 3 ILH Open teams are physically too big for Iolani to handle. If Iolani played any of them, they'd get pounded physically. And, while I'm sure Iolani would love to beat Punahou, I'm sure Iolani won't be playing them any time soon. Iolani HC Look, like the HC of any undersized D1 team, knows better.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:56 pm

@ChadFukuoka:

2016 was the last year we played them. I miss the rivalry, even though they’ve only beaten us once since 2001. There was a stretch where they had twice as many victories over us as we did over them (1980 to 1993).
@gopunahou: By 2017, Iolani HC Look saw the light, and realized it would be physically suicidal to play Punahou. Punahou football teams from the mid-2010s on, were much more huge physically than the Punahou teams from the mid-'90s.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:49 pm
gopunahou wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:26 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:33 pm Just wanted to provide a news flash about girls' volleyball: Tonight in ILH D2 play, University Lab not only beat Damien School, but swept them in straight sets. This is a pretty massive upset. Damien was ranked #6 in the state, despite being only in D2. I would assume, therefore, that they were ranked ahead of some D1 schools. University wasn't even ranked. Something tells me Damien alumni are pissed. I don't know if this was an elimination match, or what.
Don’t think that’s enough to make Frank DeLima cry. Hell, DeLima has never cried about Iolani being in the same football division as Damien, even though victories over Iolani have been few and far between.
@gopunahou:

Indeed, DeLima is a Damien alumnus, Class of '67. But, does he follow high school sports? We have no way of knowing. Plus, he's a high-profile entertainer, and he's often on those TheCab TV commercials. I don't know; something tells me he's not following high school sports. Like, he's 72 already, on top of that.
I meant to post this, but somehow forgot to do it.

When I was in elementary school, at Pearl Ridge Elementary, Frank de Lima came to our end of school year assemblies a few times. He always told a story about a wild boar hunt. The story would involve De Lima going through several character impersonations along the hunting trail in his story, but always the wild boar would never be caught. There was always some type of obstacle that prevented the hunter from catching the boar. A broken net, lava, etc.

One of my classmates had a ruptured appendix and was in Kapiolani Children’s Hospital for a couple of months. He wrote to Frank De Lima to ask about the ending to the wild boar hunt. Frank actually came to the hospital and visited my classmate in person to create a makeshift ending to the hunt. He hid behind the curtains in the hospital room, and surprised my classmate when he was coming back from physical therapy.

I know this has nothing to do with high school football, but just wanted to share this about Frank de Lima.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, De Lima seems to be a bighearted guy. I have a friend who's an '87 Moanalua alumna, and she mentioned way back that De Lima came to an assembly at Moanalua during her senior year. After graduating from Damien School in '67, he went to seminary to become a Catholic priest, so that says something about his caring nature. As it turned out, the priesthood wasn't in the cards for him, but I think it's reflected in his generosity of spirit. What's also amazing is that despite his Portuguese last name and heritage, he's willing as a comedian to crack "Portagee" jokes. (He's not pure Portuguese, however.) He pokes playful fun at Chinese, Filipinos, Japanese, and Polynesians, too. (I understand he has some Chinese blood.)

XLT1000
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: none
NBA: none
NFL: none

Post by XLT1000 »

I think the open division last year 2021 was Kahuku vs. St. Louis High School. I guess they weren't good enough for the state title Division I. I don't how actually this works. They just set up play and play. Because they're already big. Sorry, Kahuku was good. Open division means something else. Exactly, why can't they find another team, but St. Louis. Like KIF 8-0. They wanted St. Louis. It's no secret. Come on raise your hands if you think this?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@XLT1000:

Well, I don't know. Kahuku pounded the you-know-what out of them this past December, 49-14. I mean, that was bad.

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

XLT1000 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:19 pm I think the open division last year 2021 was Kahuku vs. St. Louis High School. I guess they weren't good enough for the state title Division I. I don't how actually this works. They just set up play and play. Because they're already big. Sorry, Kahuku was good. Open division means something else. Exactly, why can't they find another team, but St. Louis. Like KIF 8-0. They wanted St. Louis. It's no secret. Come on raise your hands if you think this?
Can someone interpret for me??? I really don't know WTF they are trying to say????? I see KIF, so maybe someone from Kauai can decipher
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

OldManJenkins wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:08 am
XLT1000 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:19 pm I think the open division last year 2021 was Kahuku vs. St. Louis High School. I guess they weren't good enough for the state title Division I. I don't how actually this works. They just set up play and play. Because they're already big. Sorry, Kahuku was good. Open division means something else. Exactly, why can't they find another team, but St. Louis. Like KIF 8-0. They wanted St. Louis. It's no secret. Come on raise your hands if you think this?
Can someone interpret for me??? I really don't know WTF they are trying to say????? I see KIF, so maybe someone from Kauai can decipher
My guess is that they think St Louis wasn't good enough to challenge Kahuku in the state championship. Kapaa was undefeated last year, but were in D2. Maybe this poster is saying neighbor island teams should be able to play in the State Open playoffs if they are good enough?