G Justin Webster, PF James Jean-Marie, G Kameron Ng & SF Justin Hemsley in the transfer portal

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: G Justin Webster, PF James Jean-Marie, G Kameron Ng & SF Justin Hemsley in the transfer portal;Biwali Bayles leaving

Post by shrek2 »

Another basketball player leaving. They might as well cancel next season.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/03/ ... ro-career/

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: G Justin Webster, PF James Jean-Marie, G Kameron Ng & SF Justin Hemsley in the transfer portal

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/NgKameron/status/1375235243205033984

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: G Justin Webster, PF James Jean-Marie, G Kameron Ng & SF Justin Hemsley in the transfer portal;Biwali Bayles leaving

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:43 am Another basketball player leaving. They might as well cancel next season.
This is happening everywhere. Georgia lost 7 players this year. 4 regular transfers and 3 grad transfers. Memphis lost 4 after winning the NIT. Include the two that left during the season, that is 6 for a 20 win team.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:45 am
shrek2 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:43 am Another basketball player leaving. They might as well cancel next season.
This is happening everywhere. Georgia lost 7 players this year. 4 regular transfers and 3 grad transfers. Memphis lost 4 after winning the NIT. Include the two that left during the season, that is 6 for a 20 win team.
Yup, I kinda understand this but... I would like to see it happen to UCI, UCD, UCB and UCSB. The schools in our conference. They have a lot of 4 year players on their roster, we don't. They're in the top half of the BWC, we're not.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:51 am
Yup, I kinda understand this but... I would like to see it happen to UCI, UCD, UCB and UCSB. The schools in our conference. They have a lot of 4 year players on their roster, we don't. They're in the top half of the BWC, we're not.
With the portal at over a 1000 players (from what I read somewhere) hopefully, we can get better ones than what left. Too bad Ganot doesn't have the charisma and personality to be a great recruiter.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:31 am

With the portal at over a 1000 players (from what I read somewhere) hopefully, we can get better ones than what left. Too bad Ganot doesn't have the charisma and personality to be a great recruiter.
This is kinda OT but I know you've watched some good basketball with Memphis and others. A lot of really good college teams have coaches with terrible charisma and personalities on TV. What I notice is assistant coaches on good teams talking to specific players during timeouts about their play while the head coach usually gathers the team in a group. What I notice at UH was there was Eran and Chris taking turns calling the plays and maybe its because of the back injury to Eran but I'm confused as to who's calling the plays, who's coaching up individual players and who's responsible for the substitution. I'm not in the heat of things since I'm an outsider, something doesn't look quite right. Oh yeah, a couple more things. If I'm yelling block out just before the other team gets the offensive rebound or close the middle before the guard drives for a layup, either my TV angle is better or the coaches aren't doing their jobs.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:07 am
Irse wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:31 am
This is kinda OT but I know you've watched some good basketball with Memphis and others. A lot of really good college teams have coaches with terrible charisma and personalities on TV. What I notice is assistant coaches on good teams talking to specific players during timeouts about their play while the head coach usually gathers the team in a group. What I notice at UH was there was Eran and Chris taking turns calling the plays and maybe its because of the back injury to Eran but I'm confused as to who's calling the plays, who's coaching up individual players and who's responsible for the substitution. I'm not in the heat of things since I'm an outsider, something doesn't look quite right. Oh yeah, a couple more things. If I'm yelling block out just before the other team gets the offensive rebound or close the middle before the guard drives for a layup, either my TV angle is better or the coaches aren't doing their jobs.
Ganot should be the calling the plays and doing the subs.

Not sure how Memphis is doing it now, but two years ago when Mike Miller and Sam MItchell were assistants, they would alternate scouting and game planning. They were both NBA vets so they had a lot of experience. They would also do a lot of in game teaching too. Seems like Penny is doing more. Not as experienced assistants now.
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: G Justin Webster, PF James Jean-Marie, G Kameron Ng & SF Justin Hemsley in the transfer portal

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/justin_web05/status/1383137439867293698