UH Men's Basketball 2021

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

UH Men's Basketball 2021

Post by shrek2 »

Watched the second half of the game against UC Riverside and the team looks different with the stars being all newcomers. UH won 88-83. UCR can't be that bad as they beat Pac-12 Washington Huskies 57-42. The stars for the team looked to be Junior Madut and James Jean-Marie both transfers. Most points, most rebounds and most minutes. Mate Colina still doesn't appear to have a move to the basket or a shot from 5 feet and not dominating on the boards. Casdon Jardin looks like he's got a left handed layup at 6'7. Not many minutes played by Silva or Hemsley.

I usually send the game to my tv and really dislike the Big-West broadcasting (amateurish) and really appreciate Spectrum with their multiple camera looks and closeups.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: UH Men's Basketball 2021

Post by shrek2 »

UCR beat UH by 2, 70-68 on a last second shot by their big man. Casdon Jardin is probably their most valuable player on offense/defense as I watched the entire game. Hawaii had the ball with 35 seconds left with the game tied and Justin Webster took a three pointer with 16 seconds left missing the rim leaving UCR with 15 seconds. I wonder if the coaches told them to take the shot with the shot clock down to 5 instead of taking the shot when its open. If they had an expiired shot clock it would have only left UCR with 5 seconds instead of 15. Anyway Jardin was 4-4 from three and 10 for 12 overall with 9 rb. When he hits from the outside he's really good at the fake, drive and shoot or pass back out. The guard play is questionable. UCR guards got a lot of rebound/second shots.

Funny that there were a lot of media timeouts but they didn't cut to a video commercial but it seemed like a radio commercial.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Not entirely unexpected given his lack of playing time.....even in the exhibition games against HPU and UH-Hilo.....considering that local walk-on F Zoar Nedd logged more playing time in those games. https://twitter.com/ManelAyol/status/1348749557807550464 https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1348730694193741825

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Division I is a much higher level of play than JC. He must have struggled with the offensive responsibilities in Ganot's system.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Only one and a half games for me watching UH Basketball but I think Casdon Jardin will be a force on this year's team. Video below on his interview with Kayleen Fukushima.

Link

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I was yelling at the television no cross court pass. There was three turnovers because of that against UCB. Then there was no weak side help against their 260 pound center when he got the ball inside. Also, there was no kickout on the drives to give opportunities on the three point. When the guards make a decision to drive, they are only going to kickout when they are trapped. Also, they need a little more hand strength. Can't believe that they lost so many balls because they have rubber hands.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

UH outcoached by UCB. I thought Irvine had a good coaching staff but Bakersfield will be probably be tough in this conference.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

A strange year for basketball and all sports in general. With all of the newcomers and overall lack of practice and games due to this pandemic, the Warriors and Wahine may never get to gel and get their team chemistry together.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:14 am A strange year for basketball and all sports in general. With all of the newcomers and overall lack of practice and games due to this pandemic, the Warriors and Wahine may never get to gel and get their team chemistry together.
Maybe that's why UCB looked so much better than UH since they all played together the year prior. Looked like Jardin was setting screens for the guards to come through and they just stayed on the outside. But it still looked like after watching two teams on Friday, coaches never made adjustments to stop their big post from making easy baskets on Saturday. But maybe that's why UH looks better going one-on-one than with their passing to get baskets. Also seemed like UCB used four players to block out and UH had UCB getting inside position even on free throws.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I was pleasantly surprised that UH made a game of the UCI first game. They actually matched up for the most part. I liked Mate Colina's ability to switch off on screens and trap the ball carrier but he still has problems offensively. I wondered why he has problems with the basketball under the basket or receiving the pass under the basket and on TV it looks like his hands are about as big as mine but I'm a foot shorter. I wonder if Jean-Marie and Madut will transfer after this year. The positive from the game is it was a game.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

crazy game tonight. nice win

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Junior Madut breaks the hold that UCI has held over UH. Junior Madut ties the score on two free throws with 2.8 seconds and UH wins in overtime. It was more than worthwhile to watch one of the best games in a long time.

I gotta say that for an undersized guard Jovon McClanahan is a really tough defender and can cause a lot of turnovers. He is like a non-stop quick defender that seems to get the other ball handlers rattled. Really impressed on how he works on defense.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Although it would not have had to come down to relying on too much luck at the end where UCI player blew the layup and their big guy totally muffed the two handed put back if McClanahan didn't have two consecutive turnovers and a foul during OT. A win is a win is a win, but dang heart attack city when luck is involved.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I think according to Artie Wilson, who has a better view I guess near court side, he said that the put back in the last seconds in overtime was challenged by Jardin who didn't do a whole lot during the game. If he didn't go up, Welp would have had a pretty easy layin and Colina would not have gotten the rebound. The one side of UCI coach I never saw was his frustrated argumentative style which came out at the game. I think he has plans for upward mobility and will be moving on which would be good for UH.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Cal Poly actually looked like they could be competitive if they maintain the same level of intensity on defense but actually both teams seem to lack the ability to maintain the same level of intensity throughout the full game. It seemed like UH was able to maintain their defensive intensity for longer than Cal Poly was. I like Mate Colina's ability to switch off and pick up the man with the ball and move laterally. Never saw this last year so he's improved a lot.