Solo Vaipulu arrested for breaking quarantine

Post by Irse »

ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Solo Vaipulu arrested for breaking quarantine

Post by My3Cats »

Ouch. First potential casualty in the Graham era. I say he gets a slap on the wrist from the authorities and write a letter to the court saying that he will not do it again.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

The spirit of the law is to make it a hurdle for incoming tourist. The idea was to minimize tourism. Not net returning residents, returning students and people that have a claim to being here (like the military). But no we have Ige on his high horse. SV is wrong but so is how this quarantine law is written, where it should allow allowances in certain cases.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

We have the same rule out here. It is specifically for returning residents. Most covid cases here are returning residents. This is not political at all. Be smart, people.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/ea ... rom-london
251 Thais, 20 with fever, fly home from London

1 Jun 2020 at 11:04 1 comments
WRITER: GARY BOYLE
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: SUTTHIWIT CHAYUTWORAKAN
Level switch:

Thais returning from London prepare to board buses to state quarantine hotels near Suvarnabhumi airport on Sunday. (Photo by Sutthiwit Chayutworakan)

A total of 251 Thai citizens stranded in the United Kingdom by Covid-19 arrived home on a flight from London yesterday afternoon.

They were received after a Thai Airways flight landed at Suvarnabhumi airport at 2.40pm by the deputy chief-of-staff of the armed forces, the airport deputy director and Disease Control Department officials.

Twenty of the returnees were found to have high temperatures while going through a health screening point at the airport and were sent to a hospital, 16 were taken to alternative state quarantine (ASQ) facilities of their choices and one monk was taken to a provided facility.

The rest were taken by buses to hotels in Samut Prakan and Bangkok for a 14-day quarantine.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I don't quite understand the court system. Solo's bail is set at $4000 but other people seem to be allowed to return home without bail or lesser bail amounts. For example the guy from Corona California that posted Instagram photos of his travel gets caught at HNL airport and his bail is set at $2000 and after he posts bail, he's allowed to leave.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:06 pm I don't quite understand the court system. Solo's bail is set at $4000 but other people seem to be allowed to return home without bail or lesser bail amounts. For example the guy from Corona California that posted Instagram photos of his travel gets caught at HNL airport and his bail is set at $2000 and after he posts bail, he's allowed to leave.
Probably because he lied to authorities.
ImageImage

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

he moved residents during the 14 day quarantine without reporting must be the why.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

now we get to see how coach disciplines his players.i think solo sits the first game.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Meh......I think it's more a case of miscommunication. How are you gonna discipline a player for not understanding communicable disease protocol when our own president and many of the governors do not? Even some of our own forum participants don't get it. It's serious and yet most of the country is acting as if it ain't. Time served and get back to playing, Solo.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

SundayJam wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:03 am Meh......I think it's more a case of miscommunication. How are you gonna discipline a player for not understanding communicable disease protocol when our own president and many of the governors do not? Even some of our own forum participants don't get it. It's serious and yet most of the country is acting as if it ain't. Time served and get back to playing, Solo.
There is no miscommunication. They explain the quarantine to you in detail. They check on you every day. Apparantly he either lied or did not cooperate thus the higher bail. The quarantine is in place for everyone to protect the general population and especially seniors. His actions did in fact put everyone he came in contact with at risk. And not all states have a quarantine. To many this is not serious. To others it is very serious. If he did put other players and the team at risk Graham will not have a choice. The young man made a serious mistake.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:30 pm
shrek2 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:06 pm I don't quite understand the court system. Solo's bail is set at $4000 but other people seem to be allowed to return home without bail or lesser bail amounts. For example the guy from Corona California that posted Instagram photos of his travel gets caught at HNL airport and his bail is set at $2000 and after he posts bail, he's allowed to leave.
Everybody who broke quarantine lied. Including the ladies, 23 and 41 in Maui, the 18yo that took a job at a fast foods place, etc. I am hoping that the judge in this case will show mercy and not impose a fine on a young student of the University. There is a difference here between people vacationing in Hawaii and people who have come here for business especially all returning students from the mainland. Not just the athletes but the ones that have chosen to study at UH. They never stated how much the couple honeymooning in Waikiki got resolved but there was a blatant disregard the quarantine to have fun. The kids returning to UH are there on business and I have to assume are not financially privileged. I'm hoping the courts take that into account.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:53 am
Everybody who broke quarantine lied. Including the ladies, 23 and 41 in Maui, the 18yo that took a job at a fast foods place, etc. I am hoping that the judge in this case will show mercy and not impose a fine on a young student of the University. There is a difference here between people vacationing in Hawaii and people who have come here for business especially all returning students from the mainland. Not just the athletes but the ones that have chosen to study at UH. They never stated how much the couple honeymooning in Waikiki got resolved but there was a blatant disregard the quarantine to have fun. The kids returning to UH are there on business and I have to assume are not financially privileged. I'm hoping the courts take that into account.
Maybe because he also gave them a wrong address of where he would be staying.
I thought I saw a story on the StarAdvertiser site yesterday but today it's gone.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

sarvicdar wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:39 pm The spirit of the law is to make it a hurdle for incoming tourist. The idea was to minimize tourism. Not net returning residents, returning students and people that have a claim to being here (like the military). But no we have Ige on his high horse. SV is wrong but so is how this quarantine law is written, where it should allow allowances in certain cases.
The spirit of the law is to protect the senior population of Hawaii, the Hawaii tourism business and a dense, confined population that if infected could be a major disaster. The intent is to stamp out the viruses. There are many other policies that have been implemented that make no sense. This one makes sense.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

So if a returning student or resident comes back and infects others they come in contact with including many other students in a dorm it's ok? If a senior gets infected by a returning resident it's ok? The last time I checked the virus didn't care if you were a tourist, a student, a business person or a resident.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

TheDuke wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:46 am

So if a returning student or resident comes back and infects others they come in contact with including many other students in a dorm it's ok? If a senior gets infected by a returning resident it's ok? The last time I checked the virus didn't care if you were a tourist, a student, a business person or a resident.
I'm not advocating civil disobedience. I believe that everybody should be taking the necessary precautions. With regards to visitors and kids returning to school, I believe that there appears to be a different set of rules when dealing with tourist as opposed to Solo Vaipolu. Tourists are sent back to where they came from without paying any kind of fine and sometimes if they have a one way ticket they are sent home on HVB funds. If they set bail which is forfeited when they leave, it's negligible like the $2000 bail that was sent for an immigrant from Corona, CA. The UH administration needs to allow for students coming back to have reasonably priced food and possibly some funding for the extra 14 days that they have to be here in quarantine. I can't set up a rule structure for the returning students but one needs to be set up. That would be that they maintain social distancing and wear masks if they are allowed access to public areas at the University. I can't and wont design the rules for returning students but one has to be set up with full acknowledgement that these students are likely not wealthy and they are at a critical phase of their life moving forward.