Post by Irse »

No way.
ImageImage

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: new aloha stadium

Post by gopunahou »

We'll be lucky if it's done by 2029. At least they decided to build a new one.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

if it comes around that the NCAA's cancelling college football this year, it would make sense to consider razing the old stadium and just building on the spot. there's a potential to save time and money by not having to keep the old one running while building the new with less moving parts in the project. it would also make sense to start doing this preliminary number crunching in-house now, so they can be ready to pivot if/when a ncaa decision is released.

as for the original question, this is Hawaii so I'd say I doubt it.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

With the shutdown of the economy, I don't think the state has the money. Not too many state people will be happy if they have to take a 20% pay cut and we end up spending hundreds of millions on a new stadium.
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Irse wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 am With the shutdown of the economy, I don't think the state has the money. Not too many state people will be happy if they have to take a 20% pay cut and we end up spending hundreds of millions on a new stadium.
True but the cost of maintaining the current Aloha Stadium grows and grows

Irse

Post by Irse »

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:55 am
Irse wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 am With the shutdown of the economy, I don't think the state has the money. Not too many state people will be happy if they have to take a 20% pay cut and we end up spending hundreds of millions on a new stadium.
True but the cost of maintaining the current Aloha Stadium grows and grows
True, but when people are trying to pay their mortgage and the Gov is talking about a 20% pay cut for state workers or small businesses go out of business, I don't think people really give a cr@p about a new stadium or the maintenance on the existing one. Lots of people are in survival mode.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Super low priority. I would say shelve it and just ensure the state can continue to offset the athletic deficit. No sense build a stadium and the football program tanks.

If this season opens up to fans, I honestly hope to draw 10-15K fans. Lots of people hurting financially

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

money allocated to the new stadium has already been tapped into.this is a joint venture that may move on dispite the current situation.investors are always ready and it will create a lot of jobs.

Irse

Post by Irse »

kalua pig wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 pm money allocated to the new stadium has already been tapped into.this is a joint venture that may move on dispite the current situation.investors are always ready and it will create a lot of jobs.
We would have to see if the investors still have the money.

How many local jobs will be created? They talked about jobs being creating when discussing rail but most of the jobs ended up to mainland workers.
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

kalua pig wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 pm money allocated to the new stadium has already been tapped into.this is a joint venture that may move on dispite the current situation.investors are always ready and it will create a lot of jobs.
Agree and this “should” create jobs at least for construction. Even if they hire some mainland contractors, at least in the short term, those contractors will be spending money here while they’re working........ hopefully.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

Irse wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:43 am
We would have to see if the investors still have the money.

How many local jobs will be created? They talked about jobs being creating when discussing rail but most of the jobs ended up to mainland workers.
i was more talking about stimulating the economy and generating tax dollars but i know what you saying.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

the way it's going now i would be satisfied with a 30K capacity stadium to be built with the already encumbered money.

each year senior season ticket holder numbers decline as we lose them to infirmary or worse. until new fans are enticed into the stadium, sad to say 30K is way enough for now. if we can build the tourist interest from japan and sell 400-500 tickets a game, packaging the football game as a fun safe experience for them, like they pack the kapiolani community college farmers' market, that would help increase seats filled, and we could build on that market annually, maybe with better food and photo ops. if fans start to fill the stadium, then, mauka sidelines could be expanded to handle an additional 5K to start.

i think it's important to build the stadium as soon as we can with a capacity that allows quick safe build out first. after it's built and starts filling, we can negotiate for more seating. the main thing is get it started and done quickly. if this sits on a table somewhere too long it's a never done thing.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

st808 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:53 pm the way it's going now i would be satisfied with a 30K capacity stadium to be built with the already encumbered money.

each year senior season ticket holder numbers decline as we lose them to infirmary or worse. until new fans are enticed into the stadium, sad to say 30K is way enough for now. if we can build the tourist interest from japan and sell 400-500 tickets a game, packaging the football game as a fun safe experience for them, like they pack the kapiolani community college farmers' market, that would help increase seats filled, and we could build on that market annually, maybe with better food and photo ops. if fans start to fill the stadium, then, mauka sidelines could be expanded to handle an additional 5K to start.

i think it's important to build the stadium as soon as we can with a capacity that allows quick safe build out first. after it's built and starts filling, we can negotiate for more seating. the main thing is get it started and done quickly. if this sits on a table somewhere too long it's a never done thing.
i don't like expansion later because you get a brand new broke dick stadium.build it with the seats close to the field all the way around.35,000 hawai'i fans in stadium will be unbelievably loud.if it sells out, watch it on pay per view.