Computer monitor

Discuss computer software and hardware information, along with the latest pc and console gaming news.
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Computer monitor

Post by Irse »

Anybody besides me use a TV as a computer monitor? Is that a good idea? I have a Samsung TV and now there are white lines all over the screen when using it as a monitor. I don't see it as much using it as a TV. The reason I am using a TV is that sometimes my wife or kids wants to watch something on the main TV so I have a separate cable box hooked up to the TV/monitor so I can watch something else. Not sure if the TV is just getting overused or it is not a good idea to use the TV as a monitor all of the time. The TV/monitor is on about 15-20 hours a day.Two desktops and a cable box is hooked up to it so it gets a lot of usage.
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: Computer monitor

Post by ubercow »

Irse wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:58 am Anybody besides me use a TV as a computer monitor? Is that a good idea? I have a Samsung TV and now there are white lines all over the screen when using it as a monitor. I don't see it as much using it as a TV. The reason I am using a TV is that sometimes my wife or kids wants to watch something on the main TV so I have a separate cable box hooked up to the TV/monitor so I can watch something else. Not sure if the TV is just getting overused or it is not a good idea to use the TV as a monitor all of the time. The TV/monitor is on about 15-20 hours a day.Two desktops and a cable box is hooked up to it so it gets a lot of usage.
I used to use a samsung TV as my computer monitor and it's effectively pretty much the same. TVs typically have slower refresh rates so if you play games on there on PC or console you may get a tiny bit of lag. lines might be overuse, or maybe try setting a different resolution or refresh rate (if possible) from your computer's display settings.

Irse

Post by Irse »

ubercow wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:16 pm
Irse wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:58 am Anybody besides me use a TV as a computer monitor? Is that a good idea? I have a Samsung TV and now there are white lines all over the screen when using it as a monitor. I don't see it as much using it as a TV. The reason I am using a TV is that sometimes my wife or kids wants to watch something on the main TV so I have a separate cable box hooked up to the TV/monitor so I can watch something else. Not sure if the TV is just getting overused or it is not a good idea to use the TV as a monitor all of the time. The TV/monitor is on about 15-20 hours a day.Two desktops and a cable box is hooked up to it so it gets a lot of usage.
I used to use a samsung TV as my computer monitor and it's effectively pretty much the same. TVs typically have slower refresh rates so if you play games on there on PC or console you may get a tiny bit of lag. lines might be overuse, or maybe try setting a different resolution or refresh rate (if possible) from your computer's display settings.
Thanks. I think it's overuse. I think I'm going to get a computer monitor but looking one with 1 DVI and two HDMI. Ever use a curved panel one?
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Irse wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:31 pm
ubercow wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:16 pm
Thanks. I think it's overuse. I think I'm going to get a computer monitor but looking one with 1 DVI and two HDMI. Ever use a curved panel one?
using one now. curved is nice but doesn't really add much benefit for me. got a samsung 32" curved on sale from samsclub for a little over $100 less than a year ago.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Was looking for a monitor that had one DVI and 2 HDMI inputs and there is not much. Found three at Bestbuy, the cheapest being about $220. Might wait a bit.
ImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Irse wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:00 am Was looking for a monitor that had one DVI and 2 HDMI inputs and there is not much. Found three at Bestbuy, the cheapest being about $220. Might wait a bit.
Howzit Irse! Just wondering, have you tried using a new / different cable to the TV?
ImageImageImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Kailuaboy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:43 am
Irse wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:00 am Was looking for a monitor that had one DVI and 2 HDMI inputs and there is not much. Found three at Bestbuy, the cheapest being about $220. Might wait a bit.
Howzit Irse! Just wondering, have you tried using a new / different cable to the TV?
No I haven't. Good idea. Thanks
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

It wasn't the cable because I have two computers connected to the monitor and both computers look bad.
So I got a Vizio 24 in smart TV to use as a monitor. It's ok. Better as a TV but it has a remote to change inputs. I bought a PC monitor but I would have to push a button to change inputs and it was rather inconvenient so I returned it. My only problem is that my main TV is also a Vizio so when I turn that on or off, it affects the one I'm using as a monitor. So either I buy a main TV that is a different brand or give this one to my son since he does watch Netflix, etc and it's right on the TV. Decision, decisions.
ImageImage

renzocapone
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by renzocapone »

If your TV is fairly new - white streaks should not be associated with long hours of use.
For example, I use my TV as a screensaver monitor during the work day. I put a video of a waterfall, a fireplace and so on in there and sometimes the Samsung TV runs for 15 hours without any problems.